Anyone make up their own lawn patch mix?

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
Babaganoosh
Grass Type: Tall fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Anyone make up their own lawn patch mix?

Post by Babaganoosh » May 18th, 2018, 3:33 pm

The ready to go lawn patch mixes are quite interesting but they never have the seed I'd want in them. It's generally a quick germinating PR and maybe some creeping fine fescue.

I think I might like something for the dog spots that I'm always needing to fill in. My dog generally goes in the spot where I trained her to to go but that's when I initially let her out. The gfs dog has a spot as well. However I can't always get the hose or watering can onto the spot where they pee if they just go randomly. The gf doesn't always hit the spot with water after they pee in the good grass but she's decent with it.

Occasionally I'll use the garden weasel and hit them. Throw some seed down and then a quick run over with the garden weasel again. Then some Peet moss. I like the stuff that comes in those patchmaster bags though. I think it's the same stuff they hydroseed with. I figure get some of that, maybe some starter fert or milorganite and seed and mix it all up. Keep it in a 5 gallon bucket and use as needed.

Has anyone done anything like this?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Anyone make up their own lawn patch mix?

Post by andy10917 » May 18th, 2018, 5:55 pm

If you want to use a seed like TTTF or KBG like you said, you need more than fling-and-forget can handle - where's the plan to keep the spot watered for 14-21 (or more) days?

Babaganoosh
Grass Type: Tall fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Babaganoosh » May 18th, 2018, 6:17 pm

Watering is a no- brainer and a fundamental aspect of growing/germinating grass seed. I would think that watering is automatically assumed by everyone here. I hope anyway. Even the patchmaster mix has to be kept watered.

My question was more about the actual mix and less about good watering practices.

southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by southern-ct-4 » June 21st, 2018, 2:40 pm

I've had great luck with the Scotts EZ Seed (sun and shade mix). They never seem to have the Tall Fescue mix near me, so I just add in some TTTF/KGB seeds. I work from home so I water it 3x/day until germination.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » June 21st, 2018, 8:58 pm

I dont get what is so hard with....

1.) wetting area
2.) throwing seed down, some kind of PR if fast is the goal
3.) tamp on it to get good seed / soil contact
3.) throw down scott starter with weed control (=Tenacity for dummies)
4.) Throw down peat moss
5.) wet again and keep moist for 14 days

I realize a lot of people don't feel like buying all this things separately, but you have to love Scotts marketing 3 simple products into a new product that you can only get from Scotts. I bet most people who by lawn patch mix are long overdue for an over-seed.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » June 22nd, 2018, 12:23 am

Not the answer to your question but worth noting, there is a "Patchmaster"/Tall Fescue seed mix. Cultivars vary by batch, of course. You may or may not get good ones.

southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG

Post by southern-ct-4 » June 22nd, 2018, 8:56 am

Green wrote:
June 22nd, 2018, 12:23 am
Not the answer to your question but worth noting, there is a "Patchmaster"/Tall Fescue seed mix. Cultivars vary by batch, of course. You may or may not get good ones.
Any thoughts as to why the reviews are great on HD: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotts-10-l ... /302684908

but awful on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Scotts-PatchMast ... 00GTDGT3Y/ or
https://www.amazon.com/Scotts-14900-Pat ... 077T3X45R/

Are HD people 'better' at lawn care and know how to properly prep/water, etc... so it works for them and they give better reviews? Whereas Amazon people are not as good at lawn care and are probably just throwing the stuff down, maybe watering just a little, and hoping it grows?

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » June 23rd, 2018, 6:04 pm

southern-ct-4 wrote:
June 22nd, 2018, 8:56 am
Any thoughts as to why the reviews are great on HD but awful on Amazon
Are HD people 'better' at lawn care and know how to properly prep/water, etc... so it works for them and they give better reviews? Whereas Amazon people are not as good at lawn care and are probably just throwing the stuff down, maybe watering just a little, and hoping it grows?
Could be. Maybe just the mix of reviewers. Or maybe there's an issue with stuff shipped in high heat...who knows.

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG/NoMix, TTTF/KBG, KBG/FF
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by Chris LI » July 1st, 2018, 2:16 am

Google "Harrell's Divot Recovery Mix" and check out their pdf. It is a mix of sand and peat with Milo and a couple of their biostimulant products. You could make a mix of your own (with less sand-USGA uses sand based greens and topdresses greens and fairways heavily with sand).

I would incorporate peat, sand, maybe a little screened compost (or Sustane Concentrated Compost 2-6-3), Milo, dry components of BLKH, your seed, and mix it up thoroughly in a 5 gallon pail. After applying it to the dead patches, you could top it off with a light sprinkle of Greenview Seed Accelerator (seeding mulch available at Lowes and other retailers)

You could choose whatever seed you like. There are some quicker germinating KBGs like Jumpstart and Jackpot (I think) if you want more than just a PRG or TTTF.

Good luck! If you are able to increase your percentage of KBG, you should be able to get it to fill in with some TLC and without having to add seed.

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by llO0DQLE » July 15th, 2018, 5:46 pm

Yes. Sprinkle quality seed on top of the bare patch with my hand and top dress lightly with peat moss. Viola! As the Staples commercial goes, "Now, wasn't that easy!".