Not sure how to proceed. Dead looking patches.

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Not sure how to proceed. Dead looking patches.

Post by Dargin » June 13th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Hey guys. Things were looking good until about 2 weeks ago. I had a soil analysis, made the suggested apps of macro nutrients; nothing was terribly off. Seeded in mid April, everything came up nicely. Have done a couple apps of Milo since and just finished my 3rd app of tenacity at 4 oz rate 7 days ago.

I've been keeping detailed notes on my maintenance routine and any changes in the lawn. About 2 weeks ago I noticed a couple areas that seemed to have thinned out and started going light brown. I can't figure out the cause so I'm lost as to how to proceed.

I think I have a good idea of how my lawn reacts to tenacity; seen it bleach and bounce back a couple times already. So I-m pretty sure what I'm seeing isn't temporary, in regards to how tenacity works.
Also don't think it's the result of dieing off weeds or invasive grasses because these areas were looking moderately thick and healthy up until now. So it seems it's good grass that I'm losing. I've had very low weed pressure so far this year.

No pets. Extemely low foot traffic. I did cut back on watering a bit to correct my mistakes from last year - way too much water that lead to fungus problems. I hit the spots with extra water about a weeks ago and there's been no change. It's actually getting a bit worse. I've been keeping the blade sharp and cutting at 3", except in these photos I went shorter to get a better look at what's happening.

I'm curious how you'd proceed in troubleshooting this. If any more info from me is needed just say the word. Thanks.

BTW: I'm in Massachusetts. Mix of KBG, Perenial Rye and fescue.

TimmyG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Not sure how to proceed. Dead looking patches.

Post by TimmyG » June 13th, 2018, 3:08 pm

Looks similar to my NoMix which is suffering from drought (and red thread, not that I see any in your pics).

Dargin

Post by Dargin » June 13th, 2018, 5:43 pm

I'll keep up the watering in case drought is the issue. Hopefully some of it bounces back. If there are any other likely causes/things I could try I'm all ears.

I left out a lot of info regarding my soil analysis. Primarily because I didn't alter any of the micronutrients, already pushing budgetary limits, so if it has to do with that I'll have to deal with the consequences until fall.

Out of curiosity: do the pics look like grubs could be the cause? Based on photos I've seen I don't think so, but I defer to those more experienced. Hadn't planned on treating for grubs for another week.
And can I safely rule out brown patch at this point in the season?

CPascal
Grass Type: Back: 65% KBG (Bedazzled, NuDestiny, Rhapsody),20% PRG, 15% Firefly Hard Fescue. Front: Double Eagle Perennial Rye Shaded areas: Mix of fine fescues and Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by CPascal » June 13th, 2018, 9:25 pm

I live in Massachusetts and have had terrible grub infestations but never in the Spring; only in late August and September. I would just carefully sample an area to see if you see any grubs. If you have a problem it’s usually obvious. The grass comes up like a carpet and the grubs are every where. I can’t speak to Brown Patch.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » June 14th, 2018, 1:33 am

I'll take a look for grubs tomorrow just to be sure. Thanks.
I'm also wondering if that tree on the sidewalk might be a part of the problem. Some of its roots definitely head in the direction of the problem; they're destroying the sidewalk. Maybe they're sucking up a lot of the water? I remember these areas being a problem last spring as well, but I wasn't keeping notes then, and it was one of a dozen problems as I did EVERYTHING wrong my first year.

I'll try to get then Logan lab analysis done toward the fall so I can have a better idea of what I'm working with. The analysis I got wasn't as detailed. For now I'm just hoping it's an irrigation issue. If I see grubs I have Grub-ex ready to go.

TimmyG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » June 14th, 2018, 2:33 am

The tree is definitely a major factor. Mature oaks in particular are nearly impossible to grow grass near. Trees are heavy drinkers and will easily out-compete grass for water. Over time, watering extra for the grass will just lure more tree roots there.

Looks nothing like grub damage. Google for pics.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » June 14th, 2018, 1:43 pm

Yeah, I'm leaning toward the tree being the culprit. Thanks for the input. I'm partially happy because if that's the case at least it isn't a problem I caused. On the flip side, not sure there's anything I can do as the tree is city property.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » June 14th, 2018, 3:07 pm

I guess my plan of action is to water that area more and hope the grass can keep up. I don't really want to invite more tree roots but hopefully this will give the grass a fighting chance until I can somehow get the tree removed. That's all I can think to do at the moment.

Maizan24
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Post by Maizan24 » June 16th, 2018, 4:05 pm

I have a maple in the front yard that causes similar issues. Lawn in that area is still holding up ok but I’d wager in another few weeks or so the brown, dead areas will set in. Not to discourage but last year I irrigated pretty regularly and had the same outcome. Hopefully you will have more successful results. I did prune back some of the lower branches to allow more light in and so the leaves don’t deflect the rain/irrigation.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » June 17th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Thanks for the input. And no worries, I'd rather hear the truth, especially if it's bad news. I'm just wondering if most of the area will go dormant and bounce back toward the fall, or if most of it will just die. I can't tell at the moment.

If I can't get the tree removed I guess that equals reseeding that area twice a year. If I need to go that route, hopefully I can get away with just Tenacity for preemergent and not go the, say, prodiamine route. I've had very low weed pressure this year in areas I treated with Tenacity, and that was WITH surfactant. Not sure if I've just been lucky thus far.

I'm still not ruling out soil issues, which I'll examine in the fall, but I'm thinking the tree needs to go.