A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
crabgrass1981
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Lime and Gypsum

Post by crabgrass1981 » September 25th, 2018, 8:54 pm

Hello,

Last year I took a soil test from my local extension and ended up over the course of the year with a couple interesting observations (I will be doing a Logan labs test next spring, and look forward Andy’s complete analysis).

1). The sampling I took didn’t accurately represent my full back yard and didn’t represent my front yard at all. Ph levels for the majority the yard were < 6. I should have been working on adjust the pH for the last year unfortunatly

2). My magnesium levels are off the charts. I live outside Annapolis (Chesapeake Bay Area), and having high magnesium levels I guess isn’t a surprise. Calcium levels are a little below optimal. My observation is that The soil is compact. Water pools when there is hard rain (if that matters).

I applied lime (encap) 2 weeks ago to address the Ph issue. Could I also apply gypsum this fall (2-4 weeks after the lime)? I’ve seen some recommendations that this is ok, while others say wait for 90 days.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Lime and Gypsum

Post by andy10917 » September 25th, 2018, 9:13 pm

Both Lime and Gypsum supply Calcium, but their effect upon pH is very different. I can't tell you which one is better for you without a proper test of all of your nutrients and the TEC and OM. It is rare that you'd use both.

crabgrass1981
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Level: Some Experience

Post by crabgrass1981 » September 25th, 2018, 9:39 pm

Cec levels were 8.8 meq/gm and OM was 2%. OM probably increases slightly over the last year (previous owner don’t mulch meaves, use organic fertilizers, etc)

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » January 8th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Your type of soil is usually mistakenly referred to as clay. Once you get the Logan Labs test and Andy takes a look, he'll have more to say.