Getting rid of this particular bad grass and growing the new (Help)

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
TNman
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Getting rid of this particular bad grass and growing the new (Help)

Post by TNman » September 26th, 2018, 10:44 am

I am very new at how, when, or what to do with the grass to get my yard the way I want. I basically have some bad grass that I will post picture to and I want this new grass to grow completely on my yard. I need step by step process of how to make this happen and when to do things. I live in Eastern Tennessee (Knoxville area). Please help. The first two pictures are what I want to get rid of in my yard and the last two is the good grass I want to keep growing. Not sure what good grass or weeds are called.
Thanks

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Getting rid of this particular bad grass and growing the new (Help)

Post by andy10917 » September 26th, 2018, 11:22 am

Those are Wild Violets in the first picture, and maybe I see Plantains in the second picture (to the left).

That said, if you just want to graduate to a nice lawn (not a pristine enthusiast's lawn), I would read and execute the "Triangle Approach to Weed Control", which is in the Articles area of the site. It emphasizes a three-level approach that doesn't require identification of all of the weed varieties before eliminating them. Give it a read.

We can definitely help you to execute the program (I'm the author of it). We'll also help you to thicken up the grass.

How far you want to take this is up to you...

TNman
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by TNman » September 26th, 2018, 1:07 pm

So I use the triangle approach. Once I do the different levels of broadleaf herbacides. Then what is the next step to cultivate the type of grass in the picture? I am also unsure of the what type of grass that is. Thanks for your help.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 26th, 2018, 2:08 pm

You can either just do a fertilizing plan of your own making, or get a Logan Labs soil test ($25, see the Sticky thread in the top of the Soils Forum) and we'll interpret the results for you based on your soil needs for free.

We do not interpret the results for a "home test kit" or other labs - the interpreters can't learn multiple sites and their differing test suites, as they are volunteers and have lives.

darkcrisis
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by darkcrisis » October 2nd, 2018, 9:27 pm

TNMan,

I live in Knoxville too. If you do get your soil interpreted here these guys will tell you what fertilizer to put down and when. I get most of my fertilizer at the Ace Hardware/ AgCentral Co-Op in Maryville. It is much cheaper than the stuff at Lowes or Home Depot and Lowes.