Spring Fertilizer Regimine

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
crabgrass1981
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Spring Fertilizer Regimine

Post by crabgrass1981 » February 26th, 2019, 9:44 am

The last two years I wasn’t able to implement the fall urea applications (due to living in transition zone and grass not stopping until late December). I supplemented with miloganite in the fall.

Last spring, in late March I hit the lawn with miloganite and starter fertilizer. This jump started top growth like crazy. However, I think I sacrificed root development and hardiness during summer time.

For those that can’t do that fall regime, do you start earlier with something like miloganite to give a slower wake up?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Spring Fertilizer Regimine

Post by andy10917 » February 26th, 2019, 9:36 pm

You live in Annapolis, and you want a guy that lives at the edge of West Point's property to offer regimen advice? Ballsy! I love it.

Don't do anything until the grass is awake. Then use Milorganite or equivalent - the Milorganite needs the microherd to wake up to process it, which is roughly the same time as Green-Up. The results will be slower, and the weeds won't grow like Bamboo does.

Next Fall, stick with the "standard" Fall Regimen - not the "Aggressive" version. Keep doing it until first frost. It will work out better than trying to figure out what timing works for a Final Application.

crabgrass1981
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Spring Fertilizer Regimine

Post by crabgrass1981 » February 27th, 2019, 12:21 am

Thank you Andy!