New at this, looking for some basic guidance

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
rocket2247
Grass Type: I don't know
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

New at this, looking for some basic guidance

Post by rocket2247 » March 26th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Hello. I just bought my first home and I'd like to make the lawn look great. It's about a 5000 sq foot lawn.

I was getting ready to just buy either the Scott's 4 step plan or Ace Hardware's 4 step plan for lawns and go with that for my first year. I had talked to some other person that I know and he said that those products are garbage and I should just buy Milorganite and put that down 2-3 times a year.

Anyway, I am just looking to have a weed free, thick green lawn. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: New at this, looking for some basic guidance

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » March 27th, 2019, 10:52 am

We need a little more information.
Is your lawn in the full sun all day? or is it shaded by trees, mature shrubs, fencing, and/or buildings?
We need this to help you pick a grass. You might already have a lawn, but it might not be the best for you.

What is your goal? Is this going to be use for kids or pets to play on? Do you want a showcase lawn or just something keep the mud off your shoes? Something else?

The problem with the 4-step programs is not the product but the timing and inflexibility. It's April so I must apply the Blaster Super Dope no matter whether I live in Miami or Anchorage. Well, that's not how lawns work. If you don't need something, don't use it.

For your area near Pittsburgh, you will be using a cool season type grass. In full sun you can use rye, Kentucky bluegrass and/or fescue. In the shade you can only use fescue. You may already be seeing evidence that the wrong grass is in use by observing bare spots in the shady areas of the yard.

Lawn care is pretty easy; water, mow and fertilize. Proper watering is 80% of lawn care. Mowing is 10% and fertilizing is 10%. If you get watering (deep and infrequent) and mowing (usually the highest mower setting), then most of your lawn issues will disappear.

If you can give us the answers to the questions, we can get more detailed.

rocket2247
Grass Type: I don't know
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by rocket2247 » March 27th, 2019, 11:39 am

I tried to attach the only image I have of my yard. Not sure if that will help at all. I do not have pets. My kids do like to play in the yard though. I would like a thick lawn, might help with the kids playing and falling down every once in awhile.
My yard typically gets sun for half the day.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » May 1st, 2019, 6:31 pm

Looks like full sun to me.

There are pluses and minuses to the different grasses. Kentucky bluegrass is the type of grass that will spread reasonably to fill in thin or bare spots when they occur. It only does well in full sun. Fescue and rye grasses are the type that grows in a bunch and does not spread much at all. KBG and rye may turn brown in a harsh winter. Fescue will remain green in the winter but may brown in the summer heat. One way to balance the pluses and minuses is to grow a mix of all three of these grasses. The best time to do that is in the fall immediately after the summer heat breaks. For you that is going to be in September. All three of these grasses can be mowed at or near your mower's highest setting. This approach develops deep roots which helps bring nutrients out of the deeper soil. Deep watering is important for this, also.

When planting a mix of these three seeds, there are some things to be aware of. Rye grass will sprout in 5-7 days giving you the impression that you are a lawn genius. However, if you stop watering 3x per day you may never see the fescue or KBG grasses. Fescue will start germinating at 10-14 days. KBG comes in the slowest at around 15 to 20 days. So if you want the full benefit of having the three types of grass, you have to keep after the watering long after the rye grass has germinated and come in. But this has to be short spurts of watering and not the deep watering you do for mature lawns.

As for now, the best thing you can do is learn deep and infrequent watering (search this forum), mulch mow at the mower's highest setting, and use an organic fertilizer as often as you think your lawn hobby can afford. Organic fertilizer will improve the health of the soil and grass. My favorite organic fertilizer is alfalfa pellets, but many here use soybean meal and Milorganite. The application rate for most grain type organic fertilizers is 15 to 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. You can get the grains in 50-pound bags at your local feed store.