RENOV SOD in a wasteland of weeds ?

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

RENOV SOD in a wasteland of weeds ?

Post by mobiledynamics » April 16th, 2019, 8:37 am

Flying back home for Easter and I'm thinking about re-sodding the family burial plot.....remove, scrape, add compost/starter ferts/new sod. I have those Hydro Gel one uses and plan to incorporate it into the compost just to help with water retention. I'm hoping the spring rains will do the rest in getting the sod set into the soil. The only initial watering will probably be two 150G coolers filled with water (that I will use as water containers transporting to the plot)

I do plan to also overseed at the same time and top dress with the compost to aid in making the sod more dense.

Am I just wasting money if the rest of the grounds (cemetery) is unkept. The area in question is more weeds than grass, lots of barren dirt patches the last time I was there. It will not be Irrigated, except for whatever natural rain occurs. Will weeds overtake the new sod without upkeep. In my mind, new grass is still better than the barren spot of grass that is there right now

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: RENOV SOD in a wasteland of weeds ?

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » May 1st, 2019, 6:36 pm

Go for it. Someone has to be first to upgrade the cemetery. Rye grass will germinate the fastest, so I would stick with that. It may die in the summer heat, so if you can make a point to return in September, it would like a tune up.

As you plant you can apply some organic fertilizer. In my area the average size burial lot is 10 ft x 6 ft. For 60 square feet you would only need a pound of organic fertilizer.

mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: RENOV SOD in a wasteland of weeds ?

Post by mobiledynamics » July 21st, 2019, 2:12 pm

The battle was lost before it ever began. I laid down KBG sod and threw down TTF. I sprayed down some Prod. on the adjacent sides.

Had to make a impromptu visit , so I swung by the cemetary. Bits and pieces of the sod are still good *I suspect it's the TTF*. The rest is now dormant....Some area are straight up bare.

And the other 98% surround it is pure crabgrass. When I was out there in the spring, I was saying it sure would be nice if the groundscrew made at least some sort of half a%%ed attempt at throwing some seed down, at least to mitigate soil erosion. I guess to them, crabgrass is turf....

Circling back but I think this it's pointless to even try right correcting this right. Unless one is there annually to lay down prod. at a minimum, the crabgrass will just take over seasonally. The areas where I laid down Prod is just dirt with small slivers of fescue here and there. And the surround areas, well, it's very green from a distance, until you realize it's pure crabgrass