Sourcing at SiteOne

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
WIPool888
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Sourcing at SiteOne

Post by WIPool888 » April 24th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Random question for all of you that source product through SiteOne. Does the "Act like a pro" gig seem to make a big difference for you? Do you have an account setup, or just tell them you don't have one? I've tried two times to get items from there. Urea last fall and Dimension 0-0-7 this spring. Both times, they convinced me to get other products. In the fall, they talked me into a more traditional winterizer fert. The guy working said he'd recommend that over urea based on his 25 years of golf course maintenance experience... This spring they said they didn't have 0-0-7 Dimension, but they had 13-0-0 which was their "Most popular" choice for a pre emergent.

Just wondering if it's worth trying to keep playing their game, or if I should look elsewhere.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Sourcing at SiteOne

Post by turf_toes » April 24th, 2019, 3:46 pm

You need to have an account set up to buy from them. At least you did when I first started going there, actually back when it was called Lesco.

You don’t need to misrepresent yourself. But just don’t go in there expecting great service and pricing if you ask for a single bag of pre-emergent and then try to haggle over the price of that one bag.

I’ve always gotten decent prices there. But I also tend to buy enough product at once to last a good couple of seasons.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » April 24th, 2019, 4:01 pm

I have bought from my local Site-One without an account, even had them order something for me.

There are different philosophy's for lawn care. I tend to follow the ideas on this forum, because they have always worked well for me, but I do find that landscapers are good at cutting lawns, not necessarily growing them from scratch or keeping them healthy with minimum costs.

If I walk into a big box store I will probably know more from this site, than anyone in the lawn department. The site-one guys are good, but they are dealing with landscapers that are dealing with quantity, and using other peoples money. A landscaper that puts down a lawn could care less if the lawn comes in or not, as long as they cut it weekly for the rest of the year.

Just try to know what you want before you get there, and why you want it, and if they don't want to sell it to you buy somewhere else. I have gotten good info from some landscape and feed places, but overall this forum is a much better source of info.

WIPool888
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by WIPool888 » April 25th, 2019, 10:34 am

Thanks for the quick replies! I certainly wasn't trying to haggle on price, just thought it was funny that they steered me away from a product. Unless they really didn't have it. To northeastlawn's point, I think it really comes down to knowing what you want and why before you get there.

kbgfarmer
Grass Type: Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by kbgfarmer » April 29th, 2019, 10:40 pm

I’ve bought from site one as well. They sell to homeowners. They didn’t have the 0-0-7 Dimension my location either a few years ago so I also had to go with the 13-0-0.

KnickLeDime
Grass Type: 1/3 Kentucky Blue, 1/3 Fescue and 1/3 Perennial Rye
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by KnickLeDime » May 1st, 2019, 9:46 am

They have products that other guys don't have...I lean more on what I read here but most recently, regardless or what I tried and where I went I couldn't find Milo. Found it there as well as SOP for another poster here which he couldn't find anywhere else locally. They will try to sell you other product, I just ask my SiteOne guy to email me the spec sheets and do some reading when I have time. They have a product for "everything" but the discerning consumer should keep it tight and focused on what the biggest needs are otherwise you'll be throwing everything into the ground.