Help with weed control

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
sherrymyra
Grass Type: Don't know
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Help with weed control

Post by sherrymyra » May 8th, 2019, 6:42 pm

Looking for advice on fertilizer, crab grass preventor, etc. I know that sounds broad. I have a lawn that I have no idea what grass it is. For the past 10 years or so I have had a company come spray. Last spring I had them out to do what they do. From then on after they "did what they do" my yard was full of weeds. Mostly clover. I was out every night pulling it out. Not an easy feat. So now wondering why so much clover. I did power rake the yard. Was that a mistake? Maybe that caused the clover to get out of control. ? I have read that it has to do with nitrogen-poor soil .

So now wondering is there something different I should be doing other than the lawn service just doing their usual thing. Should they be doing something different? If I tell them the clover is out of control would they do something different?

I have a small yard and also wondering if I can do applications myself or better left to professionals.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: Help with weed control

Post by turf_toes » May 8th, 2019, 7:24 pm

You won’t find many folks here who suggest you use a professional service

If you care enough to post to this forum; you certainly care more about your yard than some lawn service (whose primary goal is to get in and out of your lawn as quickly as possible).

Having a great-looking lawn isn’t rocket science. But you should read the articles and FAQs on this site.

I’d suggest reading up on the Triangle approach to weed management. Then ask questions, if you have them on the forum.

But read/research first.

https://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=117

sherrymyra
Grass Type: Don't know

Post by sherrymyra » May 8th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Thank you. I will do that.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 9th, 2019, 8:41 am

Yes, read up.

Lawn services don't normally apply things that specifically target plants like clover. Hand pulling clover doesnt work well either, as the roots stay in the ground often, mowing doesnt cut them back because they grow short, and power raking probably helped it spread if it cut up and distributed those stolons more.