Identify weed

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
mariodolphins1010
Grass Type: Kentucky Blue grass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Identify weed

Post by mariodolphins1010 » May 22nd, 2019, 9:49 am

Hi, I sprayed weed b gone (USA version) and its not working. Can someone please help identify what this is?

mariodolphins1010
Grass Type: Kentucky Blue grass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Identify weed

Post by mariodolphins1010 » May 22nd, 2019, 1:55 pm

I just realized that the 2 pics are different species.

I also noticed that the leaves in the 2nd pic look like the leaves on my neighbors tree

CPascal
Grass Type: Back: 65% KBG (Bedazzled, NuDestiny, Rhapsody),20% PRG, 15% Firefly Hard Fescue. Front: Double Eagle Perennial Rye Shaded areas: Mix of fine fescues and Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by CPascal » May 22nd, 2019, 2:26 pm

If I were you I would just read up on the "Triangle Approach" to weed control on this site. I bet if you use a herbicide that falls under "level 2", this weed will be a goner.

Here's a link to the article

https://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=117

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » May 22nd, 2019, 3:25 pm

Ha, if you only just now realized those two weeds are different species, you do indeed need help with ID.

The first one is wild violet, a perennial, herbaceous plant. That appears to be an established colony that has been there for some number of years. It laughs at 2,4-D three-way herbicides.

The second one is a tree seedling, possibly maple. Mowing alone should rid you of those, but feel free to hand pull. Trees aren't big fans of being mowed, so spraying their seedlings in the lawn is usually unnecessary.

For chemical control, both of those are best addressed with triclopyr, which you'll read about in the "Triangle Approach" article that CPascal pointed you to.

Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Dargin » May 24th, 2019, 9:54 am

I get a lot of those little maple leaves in the spring. I try to mulch the samaras in the fall, but I never get them all. Still have a handful some popping up here and there. I pull some, but mowing takes them out fine.