Triclopyr

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
agn015
Grass Type: Hogan Blend - GTO/Hemi/Hot Rod TTTF Everest/Award/Everglade/Midnight KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Triclopyr

Post by agn015 » June 5th, 2019, 9:21 am

TimmyG wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 10:16 pm
Spot application mix recommendations are usually no different than the broadcast rates. It's up to you to know how to spot apply at the same coverage rate as your would say 1 gallon per 1000 sq ft. For example, the spot application rate for Tenacity is 1 tsp in 2 gallons applied at 1 gallon per 1000 sq ft. I believe that works out to about 3.6 oz/acre.

The 16oz Ortho CCO bottle says 1 fl oz/gallon of water/200 sq ft. That applies to both broadcast and spot spraying.
Dargin, I followed what Timmy said above. I sprayed using my Chapin 20V sprayer and the TeeJet XRC11004-VS nozzle, knowing that I can completely cover the weeds and still be right around 200 sqft per gallon, I would think there is a small amount of fudge factor included in the label rate... I also hit the whole yard with some N from some Bay State & Urea about 2 weeks prior to spraying.

I think the CCO and Ortho poison ivy labels are different because they have different goals. CCO label is a lesser rate since they want to make sure the good grass isn't injured, while the poison ivy label is marketed away from lawns and more towards straight up brush killing.

kbgfarmer
Grass Type: Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by kbgfarmer » June 5th, 2019, 10:47 am

Agree with poster above. The ortho products are specifically targeted to homeowners and thus are weaker concentrations and application rates are much lower so as to make sure homeowners don’t cause damage to their lawns and then blame the company or weed killer. Professional products have much less fudge factor but are much more effective if applied correctly. My two cents.

Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by Dargin » June 5th, 2019, 11:43 am

I get what you guys are saying now. Thanks for the examples.

What I need to do is retake some measurements and get some water in the sprayer. I -still- need a better sense of how far a gallon goes given my pacing/coverage. Thanks!

Dargin

Post by Dargin » June 6th, 2019, 8:20 am

Not to beat this into the ground, but...

I think part of what was is throwing me is using a gallon of water across 200 sq ft. It reads to me like an app that would soak the soil, as opposed to just a fine misting of the weeds foliage.

Honestly, I've become accustomed to mixing herbicide, preemergent, micros, fungicides at their labled/suggested rate for 1k, typically in 1 to 1 1/2 gallons of water, then applying a fine mist to get blanket coverage. Then I go as far as I can with the mix, typically going a little over a k.

I've had good results handling weeds for the past couple years (down to annua and a bit of triv), but...maybe these oversimplifications aren't a great way to go about it?

TimmyG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » June 6th, 2019, 10:36 am

You're not alone on that, Dargin. Experiment to see what works for you. What ultimately matters is getting uniform coverage of the active ingredient (AI) at the appropriate rate in enough water to achieve the desire results. The Ortho CCO label recommends applying 1 oz of product over 200 sq ft. That's 5 oz of product over 1000 sq ft. I personally would mix that into 1 gallon of water, not 5 gallons. Like you, I've calibrated myself to spray 1 gallon of mixture over 1000 sq ft, be that via broadcast or spot spraying.

For comparison, the label for Alligare Triclopyr 4 (61.4%) recommends:
Spot Treatment of Ornamental Turf
Mix 3/8 to ¾ fluid ounces of Alligare Triclopyr 4 per 1000 square feet in enough water to
provide uniform coverage
of the target area and apply at any time broadleaf weeds are
susceptible. Note: Do not apply more than 2 quarts per acre or 1.5 fluid ounces per 1000
square feet of Alligare Triclopyr 4 in a single application.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » June 6th, 2019, 7:49 pm

Thanks, man. Very comforting to hear that I haven't been way off base.

I'm pulling the trigger tomorrow. Had them cut and water yesterday. Couldn't get any N down first, unfortunately. Next 4 days could hit 80 with no rain until the middle of next week, but I figure conditions are only gonna get worse. Thinkin' I'll give it ~1/2 inch water Saturday and Monday to help avoid drought stress. Their soil is very sandy and they get a lot of sun.

CreepyPurpleFescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by CreepyPurpleFescue » June 10th, 2019, 9:59 am

Hello.

On one university's agriculture webpage, they have an herbicide document that is fairly in-depth. Anyway, triclopyr was effective against every weed in the table, and was the only selective herbicide, period, that was effective against every weed listed in this table.

Not sure if this is what your were asking or if this helps but good luck!

Dargin

Post by Dargin » June 19th, 2019, 3:57 pm

Thanks, CPF. :)

12 days later I just did my 2nd app. All target weeds are looking pretty gnarly. I had to do this app under less than optimal conditions. It was early morning, so I used the back of a plastic rake to sweep the dew off the clover before spraying, and I only have a 12 hour window between the app and incoming rain. It's in the high 70's, very low winds, high humidity, and mostly cloudy.

Anyone had success with similar conditions, or is it likely the app will be a dud? I did use surfactant again as well.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 19th, 2019, 7:23 pm

12 hrs is plenty for Triclopyr to be rain-fast.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » June 19th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Excellent. Thanks, man. Here's to hoping it stuck.