A question on spot seeding.

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

A question on spot seeding.

Post by Dargin » July 30th, 2019, 5:05 pm

I'm going to be spot seeding a lawn in the coming weeks. On the 3k property there's only around 8 square feet worth of bare spots that need seeding.

Is there any reason I shouldn't/couldn't just sort of "spot mow" these small areas down to 1", with maybe a 6" margin around the borders, and then just continue mowing normally around these areas until the new turf reaches the height of the existing turf (3")?

My initial thought was that the whole lawn would need to be cut to 1", but I cant see why that would be needed in this case.

The only thing that made me think of this is the fact that keeping up with irrigation on this property is a real issue. We've already flirted with drought stress/dormancy this summer. If it were all 1 inch in mid-late August I think the lawn could potentially take a hit.

Silly? Practical? Not sure if I'm missing any important considerations, and I can't recall ever reading about anyone taking this route.

Thanks.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: A question on spot seeding.

Post by andy10917 » July 30th, 2019, 5:31 pm

I certainly would not be cutting the lawn to 1" in August over 8 sq ft. Hell, for 8 sq ft, get a cheap pair of lawn scissors/trimmers and do it by hand when needed.

Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: A question on spot seeding.

Post by Dargin » July 30th, 2019, 6:54 pm

I like that idea a lot. So simple. Thanks, Andy!

These few bare spots happen to be on the focal point of their lawn, so I'm trying to ensure that I nail this.

Just ordered some SoilMoist seedcoat to hedge my bets. Will be using it for the first time.