Seeding after WBG with crabgrass control.

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Seeding after WBG with crabgrass control.

Post by Dargin » August 1st, 2019, 1:08 pm

I have to try to take out some crabgrass (it really blew up) before doing some seeding toward the end of August. I dont have enough Quinclorac 1.5L to do the whole job, but I have the WBG with crabgrass control (quinclorac).

However, the WBG label states 4 weeks must pass before seeding, and 21 days before a follow up app.

Based on you guy's experience, is WBG really off the table for me, or is there room to maneuver?

Is this something I could get away with spraying twice, at about 5 fl oz per gallon, maybe 7-10 days apart, and seed a week later? Or is the label the sad truth?

It's ironic, the only reason there's a CG problem is because I held off on the 2nd split app of prodiamine, worried it could interfere with seeding. Now I'm in the same spot, different chemical..

Appreciate any input. Thanks.

Dargin

Re: Seeding after WBG with crabgrass control.

Post by Dargin » August 1st, 2019, 2:16 pm

After some more reading it looks like I better just order some more straight quinclorac. Today. Seem about right?

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » August 4th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Dargin wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 1:08 pm

It's ironic, the only reason there's a CG problem is because I held off on the 2nd split app of prodiamine, worried it could interfere with seeding. Now I'm in the same spot, different chemical..
More likely the main reason you have a crabgrass problem is watering too frequently this past April and May. It could be Mother Nature had a hand in that, but if you can maintain deep and infrequent watering, according to outside air temperature, you should have very minimal crabgrass, especially in your location. If you are watering more frequently than once every 3 weeks in the spring, you are doing it wrong.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » August 4th, 2019, 7:25 pm

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that.
The lawn in question got by mostly with rain throughout spring. We didnt even begin to address irrigation issues until summer, when it became very clear that we had to. I think we had above average rainfall in April and May, though.

I wonder if their accidental chopping down of the lawn to 2" in early july played a significant role in the CG explosion.

First and only 2 month prodiamine app went down the last week of April. Crabgrass started popping up mid July. Planned on pulling it, but health issues pushed that back about 12 days; by then it was everywhere.

I did an app of quinclorac on August 2nd. No MSO so I used a non ionic surfactant. Sprayed in the evening as temps cooled to try to give the turf a break; was pushing mid 80's that day. Also made sure there's no mowing for 2 days after. Plan to do a follow up app in 10 days (I think). That gives me about a 10 day window before seeding, which the label states is more than enough.

I figure I'll pull whatever is left of the more robust stuff a couple days before seeding if needed. I'm not accustomed to seeing crabgrass like this. Some of those suckers look like they have biceps...

Dargin

Post by Dargin » August 6th, 2019, 7:07 am

I dont want to feel like I'm spamming the forum so hopefully it's ok tagging this question here?

We're planning to seed around August 22nd. Right now the only weed prevention in place is whatever residual effects may come from the quinclorac.

I'm going to be using Scott's mesotrione starter at seeding.
Should/could I put an app of Tenacity down now to protect until seed down? The recent cooler night temps have me worried that weeds could start popping.

I'm just not sure if two apps within 2 weeks could negatively impact germination?

Pway
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by Pway » August 24th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
August 4th, 2019, 4:05 pm
Dargin wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 1:08 pm

More likely the main reason you have a crabgrass problem is watering too frequently this past April and May. It could be Mother Nature had a hand in that, but if you can maintain deep and infrequent watering, according to outside air temperature, you should have very minimal crabgrass, especially in your location. If you are watering more frequently than once every 3 weeks in the spring, you are doing it wrong.
Many if not most of the lawns in my neighborhood have no irrigation and are not watered at all, yet they are virtually all crab grass. That does not seem to jibe with your post. How might this discrepancy be explained? I do use split apps of dithiopyr and generally have no crab grass, though I am getting some now as I missed my second app.