Urea Application

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
WIPool888
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Urea Application

Post by WIPool888 » September 18th, 2019, 1:52 pm

I'm using Urea to wrap up fall fertilization and for winterization this year. I've never used it, so I'd be lying if I said I'm not a little nervous about applying it. How do you guys put this stuff down to avoid over application?

For the first app, I'm looking to just do 20 lb. across 15k sq/ft to be safe. I use a Scott's Edgeguard deluxe broadcast spreader. Current plan was to set the spreader super low, and try to make a pass in each direction, then heavily water. Looking at the granule size, not sure if that will work though. Any tips on how to use this stuff without killing my lawn is appreciated! :)

TimmyG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Urea Application

Post by TimmyG » September 18th, 2019, 4:07 pm

I use a Scott's Wizz Spreader and walk briskly, one pass. Even 2 lb/k is difficult to spread reliably due to frequent bridging across the barely open spreader holes.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » September 18th, 2019, 6:38 pm

I have a Scott's Wizz and love it, but for urea I just weigh out what I need in a container and "feed the pigeons" ie throw it by hand. I may get fancy and start out by sprinkling it out along the edges where I want to make sure i have coverage, but then I just start chucking the rest out by hand and walk around so I am throwing it from different directions.

If I didnt weigh it out first I'd put out too much, but other than weighing it, I have made it really simple this year.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 18th, 2019, 8:41 pm

The Fall Fertilization regimen was designed to do weekly apps at 1 lb/K - this rate applies 0.5 lbs/K of N at once, and in order to screw up, you need to overlap in the same exact spot multiple times in a row. That's pretty unlikely. There is nothing to be afraid of about Urea - it's in most of the fertilizers you've been using for years.

Oldschool
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Oldschool » September 19th, 2019, 8:21 am

WIPool888 wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 1:52 pm
I'm using Urea to wrap up fall fertilization and for winterization this year. I've never used it, so I'd be lying if I said I'm not a little nervous about applying it. How do you guys put this stuff down to avoid over application?

This is my third season using Urea. Prior, I had never used it. It’s nothing to be nervous about. Regardless of what spreader you have, I would set the spreader for low output. It may take you four passes the first time you apply. That’s ok, good exercise. Change the setting each time you apply until you hit the sweet spot; two passes. Document the spreader setting and never get nervous again. It took me 4-5 applications to get it just right.

WIPool888
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Post by WIPool888 » September 19th, 2019, 1:11 pm

As always, thanks for all the input/quick replies!! After reading your comments, sounds like while I certainly need to pay attention to what I'm doing, it's nothing to really worry/stress about. I'll report back on how it goes for the benefits of others. Thanks!