falcon
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG Blend
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: First Time Homeowner Looking for Help

Post by falcon » March 26th, 2020, 9:17 am

TimmyG wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 10:27 pm
1) Why are you considering the max dose? Being in the north, our application rates are notably less than the those in the south. This label is fairly useless on that point compared to other Dimension products I've used. Reading only this label, I wouldn't consider applying any more than 3.6 lbs/k, assuming you want to control more than just crabgrass.
2) I personally do a split app, which is different than a second app. I split the recommended rate in half and apply first a wee bit early and then a few weeks later. I see no reason to apply more than the recommended rate (in total) for summer weed control. Then you have most of the maximum yearly allotment left for late summer and early fall in case you want to target Poa annua. I currently use Dimension 2EW (liquid), and it recommends substantially higher application rates for fall control of Poa annua than for summer control of crabgrass and the like.
3) Just read the label thoroughly and understand that any soil disturbance you do (like planting) after application will require reapplication.
4) I've never been paranoid, but, yeah, if you want to be cautious, just make sure it's watered in first.

1) You're not likely going to get a recommendation based on supposition. Instead, get the soil test done ASAP with Logan Labs before they have to close doors.
2) Yeesh. No matter how big the lawn, I will always be a proponent of spot spraying over broadcasting after weeds have been mostly gotten under control.
1) Because I have no idea what I am doing? haha.

So when you say that you wouldn't consider applying more than 3.6lbs/k and you do split applications, does that mean you would do two applications at 3.6, or two at 1.8/k? I just want to make sure I understand you correctly. I think you mean two at 1.8.

I'll get a sample out to Logan Labs. Thanks for the help.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » March 26th, 2020, 5:34 pm

TimmyG wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 10:27 pm
2) I personally do a split app, which is different than a second app. I split the recommended rate in half...
Split application is even described on the label of the product you are using.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » March 26th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Not confuse matters even more, but many people do a triple app if poa-annua is your main concern. Take the maximum allowed and divide it by three, then for the northeast.....

1st app around April for crab grass
2nd app around mid August for pos-a
3rd app around October for poa-a

falcon

Post by falcon » April 20th, 2020, 11:18 am

Any advice on how to fix this situation? I don't think the issue is road salt, because none of my neighbors have this issue. I think the prior owners had people parking on this.

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by flyin-lowe » April 22nd, 2020, 7:58 am

It's hard to tell from the picture, is there enough of a grade that your mower scalps that section when mowing it. (assuming you are going from the road up to the yard? Looks like there is a slope there but can't tell for sure.

falcon

Post by falcon » April 22nd, 2020, 9:04 am

There's a slight slope, yes. But the mower is not scalping. It looks like it's mostly just dead grass/weeds. I guess I'm wondering if soil remediation (which I am working on with Andy's advice) alone will improve this, or if it needs to be overseeded. If so, do I do it now or in the fall?

falcon

Post by falcon » July 27th, 2020, 10:00 am

Following up here regarding the dead strip next to the road...

I just went out to take some soil samples to send away to Logan Labs for the dead strip specifically. Nearly every spot where I put the sample tool, I couldn't get down four inches. I had to poke around quite a bit. I know that the soil next to the pavement is very rocky, since I had trouble digging out a spot for the mailbox and found tons of rocks. One thing I am fairly certain of is that the pavement isn't under the grass, it is just very rocky. I was able to get some samples in the area between the many rocks.

And BTW, the dead area completely filled in with crabgrass.

So before I send off this soil to Logan for analysis, am I going to be able to get decent grass growth in this area once whatever soil issue there is is fixed if there is only 3-4 inches of soil before rocks in most of the area?

Given the shallow depth of soil and it being right on the pavement in a very sunny spot, should I just go with a Northern Mix like the rest of the lawn, or should I use a specific type of grass?

I'm thinking that in order to keep this spot thriving, it will require frequent additional hand watering in addition to the typical 1" of water weekly that I give the lawn. Is that all it would need for special attention?

Thanks for the help.