Weed prevention and control

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
David1971
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Weed prevention and control

Post by David1971 » February 16th, 2020, 5:38 pm

Good afternoon. I'm new to the forum. I live in north ga. I'm not very good when it comes to weed control. Right now I'm seeing weeds coming up and wanna put out something to kill them. In the week ahead we are looking at 3 or 4 days of rain. And we had a good bit of rain last week. What can I put out that the rain will not effect? Like I say I'm new to weed control and lawn care. If you suggest something please be specific .
Also we have 2 dogs so it's needs to be pet safe. Im looking forward to learning as much as i can going forward. I'm not real sure what kind of grass I have bit not sure if that matters when killing weeds. Also what time frame am I looking to let the weed killer work and how often do I need to use it. Thanks and God bless

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Weed prevention and control

Post by edslawn » February 22nd, 2020, 1:17 am

To give yourself a basic level of education, read the very helpful "Triangle Approach" article at this link and follow it https://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=117. This is the best place to start. ...and then start reading the previous posts. You'll find a wealth of info on the forums.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Weed prevention and control

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » March 19th, 2020, 1:39 am

You absolutely need to know what kind of grass you have before you spray herbicide. N Georgia is transition zone and might have any kind of grass. Can you post a picture of it? Preferably take the picture in the shade or on a cloudy day. Also don't be shy about getting your camera right down into the grass. If you could get your shoe in the picture that helps for reference. Also post picture of the weeds. If you have grassy weeds that is different problem from broad leaf weeds like dandelions or clover.

It seems that most herbicides take 3 weeks to see results, so don't get discouraged. You'll forget you even sprayed in 3 weeks and then, suddenly (!), they will be gone.