Fertilizer w/ Weed Control

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
Bucky
Grass Type: Chickweed/Crabgrass/White Clover/ Red Clover
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Fertilizer w/ Weed Control

Post by Bucky » March 23rd, 2020, 4:02 pm

Hey folks, I wanted to ask for some expertise. I have tenacity, but also need to apply fertilizer for the spring. I was hoping to be pointed in the right direction about the best fertilizer I could use that might have a great pre emergent along with it. I was just hoping to save some time and use of tenacity by doing at least one preemergent app at the same time I put my fertilizer down. Would I be better off to just go the traditional route of putting down milo and spraying tenacity? Any advice or expertise is appreciated!!

Bucky
Grass Type: Chickweed/Crabgrass/White Clover/ Red Clover

Re: Fertilizer w/ Weed Control

Post by Bucky » March 23rd, 2020, 4:40 pm

Also, since I need to add more phosphate to my soil anyway, couldn't I use a starter fert?

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by edslawn » March 23rd, 2020, 8:56 pm

My opinion... This process is a marathon. Continue to read and learn. Start with a simple pyramid approach to weeds. Next step, get a soil test from Logan Labs, so you can get a good plan. Two years from now, you will be thrilled.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » March 24th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Generally, you want to wait for the lawn to be growing well before any spring Nitrogen. That is typically well after you would want to apply pre-emergent. The combo fertilizer and Pre-emergents tend to be too much early Nitrogen for most areas. Early nitrogen will promote a greener lawn early at the expense of potential problems when it warms up.

https://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=117

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » March 25th, 2020, 9:08 pm

... but also need to apply fertilizer for the spring.
No you don't need to apply fertilizer FOR the spring. You need to apply fertilizer AFTER the spring. Disregard what the television tells you about when to fertilize. Those people are selling fertilizer. If you apply now you will need to apply again in May. If you don't apply now, the grass will be fine until May. Just wait it out.

If you are hot to do something now, do the preemergent ONLY. In a few weeks you can do a post emergent with Weed-b-Gon.

EdD10

Post by EdD10 » April 22nd, 2020, 2:00 pm

I'm up here in Massachusetts and just put down a 18-0-6 with .37% Prodiamine. It was the first package of the season from the company that sends me my lawn care products each month (very convenient by the way). I'm not sure if it something you can get local, so I'm happy to share more details if you'd like. It went down a week ago and I'm already noticing the results when compared to a section that didn't get treated.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » May 3rd, 2020, 4:07 pm

EdD, are you talking about GetSunday.com? That's complete bullshite, in my humble opinion. The reason it is a monthly product delivery is that it is a liquid, and you cannot possibly apply a pound of nitrogen per 1,000 square feet from a bag of liquid weighing only a few ounces. It is easy enough to apply prodiamine by buying it at the store and apply nitrogen with real fertilizer. My next problem with Get Sunday is that they are going to put herbicide and insecticide and possibly fungicide into the bags even though you don't need it. They are not looking at your lawn and cannot know what YOU need. They work on possibilities, not probabilities. The result is pollution of the soil with unnecessary chemicals which wreak havoc on your soil biology leading to an unhealthy soil. And already, you have applied a fertilizer WHICH YOU DID NOT NEED, yet. Aaaaarrrrggggghhhh! Do you sense my frustration? :banghead: :blackeye:

Here's the normal advice for a northern lawn in the spring:
  • Water deeply and infrequently. Usually Mother Nature takes care of this for the entire spring. For more on this topic, search the forum for deep and infrequent.
  • Apply a preemergent herbicide when you first see the forsythia in bloom in your neighborhood. That means the soil is moist enough and warm enough to germinate weeds.
  • If necessary, spot spray weeds with Weed-b-Gon or Weed-b-Gon Chickweed, Clover, and Oxalis Killer in mid April.
  • DO NOT fertilize until Memorial Day. Your grass already has enough nutrient stored in the roots from taking the winter off. On Memorial Day fertilize with a fertilizer, bagged fertilizer, and not a weed n feed product. I much prefer organic fertilizer, but I'm not going to launch into that discussion for this. Fertilize on Memorial Day and you won't need to do it again until Labor Day.
  • Mulch mow every week at the mower's highest setting.
You should not have any other issues in the spring. Insects and disease are a summer problem for the most part.
If you have bare or thin spots in the spring, you'll have to suffer until the proper time to reseed in late August. If you seed in the spring, the new grass will not be strong enough to withstand the summer heat and the chances of introducing crabgrass go way up.

The liquid fertilizers like those sold by GetSunday are used in the growing industry to force new growth on wholesale plants going to the retail market. They are not appropriate for a lawn.

edslawn
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by edslawn » September 29th, 2020, 6:06 pm

:no: @Dchall_San_Antonio Jeessh... you messed up EdD's advert. You were supposed to say, oh wow, that sounds amazing. Tell me about more about it.