Mouse/vole infestation

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Mouse/vole infestation

Post by bpgreen » April 26th, 2020, 1:09 am

I've got a colony of field mice or voles in my lawn.

Lots of small holes and a few large ones (I think some were enlarged by neighborhood dogs trying to get to the mice).

I've set poison out and that seems to have gotten rid of some of them. I'm going to tru spreading some bonide repels all tomorrow to try to drive the rest of them away.

On the bright side, my lawn is really well aerated.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Mouse/vole infestation

Post by andy10917 » April 26th, 2020, 8:28 am

I've had luck with the use of Castor Oil products to drive voles away, but my vole problems have almost exclusively late-season issues.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Post by bpgreen » April 27th, 2020, 2:08 am

There seems to be less activity on the poison, but there's still some.

I probably had a problem last fall send didn't notice it (which is why my problem is bad now).

I didn't spray the repels all yet, and i'm glad. The gallon jug I bought didn't have a sprayer. I was going to pour it into a sprayer, but when i read the instructions, I discovered it's a concentrate. I've got enough for 8 gallons of spray. It says to spray it at least 6 hours before a rain (so for me, almost anytime).

I'm hoping the poison killed enough that spreading this will convince any remaining to leave.

Active ingredients in this product afte putrescent egg solids, cloves, and garlic oil. Seems like they're just trying to make everything smell bad enough to move on.

If this doesn't work, I'll give castor oil a try.

bpgreen

They're baaaack

Post by bpgreen » June 20th, 2020, 1:22 am

I think they just mixed to part of the lawn where I didn't spray.

I bought more poison and have been putting it out.

In a week or two, I'll spray again, but spray the entire lawn.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » June 20th, 2020, 7:50 am

+1 Andy. I mixed 2 oz castor, 1 oz Neem, 1 oz soap, and sprayed that per K. My mole problem disappeared overnight.

Castor oil is available bulk from Soaper's Choice products if you need larger amounts ($19/gallon, castor stores for around 5 years in dark, room temperature conditions).

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » July 25th, 2020, 5:56 pm

I was going to drop a couple M80s into a hole in my back yard, but then I found out you can't buy M80s at American fireworks stores. I'm close enough to Mexico to get them, but I'm not going there to kill a squirrel or whatever.

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » July 25th, 2020, 8:36 pm

I just remembered that I forgot to spray the repels all a seciond time. I'll have to get busy with that.

In addition to the spray and poison, I also bought some splat powered things on stakes that make a noise that spreads underground and makes life miserable for them. I haven't seen one in a long time, but I still see poison going away some days.

A neighbor's lawn abuts a golf course. He used castor oil and said it worked for a couple of weeks. He then read about another approach. He's digging down 2 feet along his fence, putting chicken wire in (with an L at the bottom pointing toward the golf course si that if they dig down, they'll get turned away. He's done half his fence so far and said it swings to be keeping them out. I don't think that would work for me because they could be coming in from too many places.

One drawback to the noisy spike things is that I can't leave them in over winter and that seems to be when they invade