Advice needed on lawn care please

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
ken2736
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass, Rye grass, Fescue
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Advice needed on lawn care please

Post by ken2736 » April 26th, 2020, 12:19 pm

I have a few questions, I have an acre of lawn and trying to apply milo 5 times a year is a little spendy. Any suggestions?

Can/ should I mix Scott's fert in with a program?

Dog pee spots are everywhere, plan is to put topsoil on in the areas and re-seed. Who else has this problem?

Too late in the season for a soil test at Logan labs? Did one a few years ago.

Wait for first fert app until mowing twice a week?

Missed pre-M app this season. Too late now?

I have a mix of Kentucky blue rye and fescue

Thanks for the help

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Advice needed on lawn care please

Post by andy10917 » April 26th, 2020, 12:45 pm

I have an acre of lawn and trying to apply milo 5 times a year is a little spendy. Any suggestions?
That can't be answered without knowing what nutrients your lawn needs.
Yes, although they are generally more expensive than other products with similar nutrients.
It is never too late, but the Plan that we build is for one season - so, tests done in October are less productive.
No, generally fertilize when previous applications begin to peter out. Use your eyes to determine that.
Probably. The Pre-M opportunity is when the Forsythia bloom in your area. There are Post-Emergents using Quinclorac that can control crabgrass after it has germinated.

Note: there are hundreds of thousands of posts on the site that discuss the above topics in great detail. Use the Search tool before asking the same questions that have been answered many, many times.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Advice needed on lawn care please

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » May 3rd, 2020, 4:32 pm

Check with your local feed store for any of the following ingredients: soybean meal, alfalfa meal, alfalfa pellets, cornmeal, cottonseed meal. Any of these can be used instead of Milo. The application rate is 15 pounds per 1,000 square feet.
Dog pee spots are everywhere, plan is to put topsoil on in the areas and re-seed. Who else has this problem?
Lots of people have this problem. The reason is the soil microbes cannot handle a high dose of urine all at one time. The solution that worked for me was recommended by Texas A&M. They said to apply a handful of table sugar to the pee spot. What this does is shift the soil biology around so they can take care of high doses of urine. It takes about 3 weeks, but then you should have a dark green spot, very dense and growing fast. You can help this along with continued use of organic fertilizers, but also by spraying molasses at a rate of 1 gallon per acre. I can get molasses in bulk (by the pound) at the local co-op. Last time I got some I took in an empty detergent bottle. Fifteen pounds cost me $1.10.
Andy answered this one. Do it now.
What??? If you had bermuda, yes. You don't have bermuda. In your case wait until Memorial Day. Bermuda is a special case.
Yes.