Tenacity vs Drive for Clovers, Pet Safety

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
palegreenthumb
Grass Type: Rye and Fescue Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Tenacity vs Drive for Clovers, Pet Safety

Post by palegreenthumb » June 4th, 2020, 10:03 am

In the process of finally pulling the trigger on a non-organic solution for killing our clover. In the past have hesitated due to losing our prior dog to cancer and really wanting to protect our current dog from being exposed. Have heard some decent reports that Tenacity (Mesotrione) has low toxicity exposure after it dries, the same for Drive XLR8 (Quinclorac).

Assuming that both of those products are equally safe (relatively speaking), I am trying to determine which one is more effective on clover. At this point, I'm applying primarily as post-emergent. From what I can tell, it appears that Drive may have the edge in effectiveness as post-emergent since it acts a little quicker than tenacity. Since you don't have to wait for the chlorophyll cycle to complete.

Also, I have a decent mix of fine fescue in our lawn (creeping red, and others) and was concerned about having to deal with Tenacity's tendency to knock down the fine fescue. I don't believe Drive has this effect on fine fescue.

Any thoughts on this appreciated.

DanielF
Grass Type: NoMix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Tenacity vs Drive for Clovers, Pet Safety

Post by DanielF » June 4th, 2020, 4:48 pm

I just used Drive added turf dye so I knew where I sprayed... After letting it dry, my dog went out there and did her usual shenanigans. Just minimized her being on the grass for two days and then watered. Only negative to her were the blue paws for a few days. As long as your dog does not eat the grass should be fine.

Side note here is the label, Drive suggests to only use it if the fine fescue is in a blend. which looking at your profile, I would be weary...

https://www.domyown.com/msds/Drive_XLR8 ... l_2020.pdf

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » June 5th, 2020, 12:08 am

So you ruled out triclopyr?

palegreenthumb

Post by palegreenthumb » June 5th, 2020, 12:21 pm

DanielF wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 4:48 pm
I just used Drive added turf dye so I knew where I sprayed... After letting it dry, my dog went out there and did her usual shenanigans. Just minimized her being on the grass for two days and then watered. Only negative to her were the blue paws for a few days. As long as your dog does not eat the grass should be fine.

Side note here is the label, Drive suggests to only use it if the fine fescue is in a blend. which looking at your profile, I would be weary...

https://www.domyown.com/msds/Drive_XLR8 ... l_2020.pdf
Thanks for response and the data sheet info. It appears my mix may be ok. I know a good portion of fescue I have in the back is creeping red, which according to the data sheet is separated out from fine fescue and not subject to the same sensitivity notation. I don't know of a time I ever used only fine fescue w/out it being in a blend.

palegreenthumb

Post by palegreenthumb » June 5th, 2020, 1:24 pm

TimmyG wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 12:08 am
So you ruled out triclopyr?
Interesting option. Thanks for forwarding the information. Triclopyr didn't come up for me in my research as a mainstream option. I do see it more now though as I've dug further into it. It seems to be used in weed killer mixes often in conjunction w/ other chemicals that are more toxic, like 2,4-d. It can be purchased as separate formula but it does seem to require special mixing w/ oil or other agent, and just mixing w/ water seems it may not be as effective. Going to look into that further though.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 5th, 2020, 6:39 pm

For Cool-Season lawns, Triclopyr is **THE** standard product for the Triangle Approach "Level 2" weeds. I don't know where the info about mixing is coming from -- the very standard "Ortho Chickweed, Clover and Oxalis Killer" can be found in any HD/Lowes, and is straight 8% Triclopyr. "Poison Ivy Killer" is also the same exact product, but with different label instructions (heavier rate).

Have you read the "Triangle Approach to Weed Control" in the Articles area yet? Many, many members have used it with a very good success rate...