Grass identification

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
Austve11
Grass Type: Northern/fescue/kbg mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Grass identification

Post by Austve11 » July 21st, 2020, 8:41 pm

Can someone tell me what this is? It was here when i moved in and seems like the only thing that comes back every year and gets trampled by the dog all year long. Obviously im new to lawn care.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Grass identification

Post by bpgreen » July 21st, 2020, 10:53 pm

I'm not great at grass id, but those blades look like they're "boat shaped" which is an indication of Kentucky Blue Grass (kbg).

The fact that it stands up to traffic and fills in is another hint that it's likely kbg.

Austve11
Grass Type: Northern/fescue/kbg mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Austve11 » July 22nd, 2020, 1:02 am

I just find it strange because i renovated my front yard to the northern mix from outside pride which is tall fescue and midnight kbg i believe ( and am very anal taking care of it)which gets trampled on by my neighbors daycare kids twice a day and every year the same spots die and have to reseed.The stuff in the pic is probably many years old and grows about 3 times as fast and is always green. Gets dog poop, pee gets scratched up and trampled by the dog all day every day and nothing ever happens to it. The front yard is just a battle between daycare kids the sandy soil/shady boulevard and the mailman every year. I wish i could plant this all over my yard but the shady sandy boulevard would probably kill that too.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » July 23rd, 2020, 10:59 am

Caltrops and automatic turrets usually take care of daycare infestations.