Fertilizer and "Triangle Approach"

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
Turk
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Fertilizer and "Triangle Approach"

Post by Turk » March 17th, 2021, 1:40 pm

After reading the excellent "Triangle Approach" article, I am trying to plan out the timing of fertilizer into the plan for attacking the tons of weeds in my yard. (Second year homeowner).

FYI, I'll be adding applying granular Dithiopyr/Dimension as pre-emergent once the forsythias bloom (hopefully in the next 2 weeks)

The article suggests first applying a fertilizer in late April to get the weeds growing, then hit them with 1-2 spray applications of 2,4D, Dicamba and MCPP (bottom of triangle). After second application hit the tougher weeds (e.g., Creeping Charlie) with the "middle" of triangle (e.g., Triclopyr 8%), then afterwards hit the toughest weeds (e.g, nimblewill) with top level (e.g., Tenacity).

Questions:
1) I've read posts that I shouldn't apply any fertilizer until late May (around Memorial Day): is the "Triangle Approach" intended to be an exception to that rule? Is there a soil temperature threshold for applying the fertilizer?
2) What fertilizer should I use? 29-0-3? (FYI, I applied 10-0-20 last November)
3) Can I do the 3 levels of the triangle in the spring (or possibly overlap them), or do I need to wait for the late summer for the top level attack on the nimblewill?

Thanks in advance, Turk.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Fertilizer and "Triangle Approach"

Post by MorpheusPA » March 17th, 2021, 4:18 pm

1) Not in your case as I read your soil test. Skip feeding your weeds, they'll grow enough anyway. :-)
2) See your soil test; I made specific recommendations since you were phosphorus short. In your case, I recommended a starter fertilizer to be applied around Memorial Day.
3) I would see no reason not to start on nimblewill in spring, personally. It's pervasive and problematic enough that I'd want to get the kill started as soon as I could!

Turk

Post by Turk » March 17th, 2021, 5:24 pm

Thanks, Morpheus for your comments here and on the soil test! I was stunned on how the nimblewill took over my front yard last year, so I'm happy for some revenge.

Regarding the "middle" of the triangle, I saw one liquid product listed as a Trimec formulation that had (by weight) 2,4-D, dimethylamine salt 3.05%; Dicamba, dimethylamine salt 1.29%, MCPP-P, DMA salt 5.3% -- the label states that "This particular formulation is low in 2,4-D for maximum safety to 2,4-D sensitive grasses such as St. Augustinegrass, bentgrass and buffalograss."

Should I skip that and go for "Hi-Yield" which has Dimethylamine Salt of 2,4-D - 11.84% -- which is a lot cheaper as well?

Thanks again, Turk.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » March 17th, 2021, 7:14 pm

Let's let somebody else answer that. I...don't use that. There's no particular reason, I just don't, and I'm not an expert as to what happens when you substitute or combine 2,4-D products, nor what would be best here for the middle of the triangle.

I actually use a more linear approach than triangular. :-)

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » March 17th, 2021, 10:10 pm

You're overthinking this. The Triangle Approach was designed (by me) to eliminate a whole lot of complexity, not to get into nuances of the specific exact fertilizer formulation. It's a do-it-to-get-control and THEN start think of where you want to head AFTER THAT.

The second layer of the Triangle does not get into the 3-way and 4-way products - that's Level 1 and it's a broad-spectrum approach. Level 2 (the middle) is to get most of the ones that don't respond to 3-way stuff. Level 3 is for the really tough stuff that's needs a mano-a-mano approach.

The reason for the earlier fertilizer app is that most newbies don't apply Fall fertilizers, so fertilization is needed at an earlier time.

All: please note that this is posted in the "Lawn Basics 101" and as such shouldn't get into more-sophisticated treatments without lots of handholding.

Turk

Post by Turk » March 18th, 2021, 10:39 am

Hi Andy,

I re-read my post: I had a brain fart and starting mixing together the bottom and middle tiers!

Thanks for the info.

Turk.