Using both Scots EZ Seed Patch and Repair and also Southern Weed and Feed?

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
gopirates11
Grass Type: Southern
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Using both Scots EZ Seed Patch and Repair and also Southern Weed and Feed?

Post by gopirates11 » April 20th, 2021, 8:13 pm

i have some bare spots in my yard and used the scots ez seed patch and repair and was wondering if in a few weeks/month if i could still use the southern weed and feed that i normally do every year? i want to dethatch and aerate prior to the weed and feed and wanted to wait til mid may (I'm in NC). Would it be ok to put weed and feed on the entire yard or should i avoid the spots i just put the ez seed on. thanks

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Using both Scots EZ Seed Patch and Repair and also Southern Weed and Feed?

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » April 23rd, 2021, 3:28 pm

I'm not trying to be discouraging with my remarks here, but I will be discouraging you from doing almost everything you have in mind. Hopefully you came to our forum with an open mind to learn what we have found to work over decades of lawn care.

Since you already put down the Scott's product, it's too late to stop you. Scott's has 7 different EZ Patch products, so we would need to know which one you used to tell you why we would have stopped you. If you have the bermuda patch, it's 3 months too early for that seed to germinate. If you have the northern grass patch (rye, fescue, bluegrass), then you are 4 months too early for that to give you good results. Since you already applied it, assuming you used the northern grass mix, you can expect plenty of crabgrass this summer and possibly a full crabgrass lawn in the areas where you used it. At least the bare spots will be filled in, so don't fret too much. That can be fixed.

You don't necessarily need to dethatch and/or aerate. We need more info on the current situation, possibly with pictures, before advising you on that. It seems most people don't need to dethatch once they are taking proper care of the yard, and core aeration is giving way to surfactant application(s). We can help more once we know what kind of grass you have.

Weed n feed is universally panned on all the lawn care forums I've seen. Why? Because the best time to kill weeds is NOW (Mid April) and the best time to fertilize is late May (Memorial Day). If you get them out of order, one or the other of those elements doesn't work like you think it will. It is much better to spot spray broadleaf weeds with Weed-b-Gon now and then fertilize with plain fertilizer at the end of May.

So, we need a little more information to go on. You listed your grass type as southern. That's not what we're looking for in that field. Southern grasses would be bermuda, St Augustine, centipede, and possibly zoysia, and paspalum or bahia. I strongly suspect you don't have any of those grasses, but I could be wrong. What we're looking for is the type of grass (fescue, rye, Kentucky bluegrass, bermuda, St Augustine, etc.) and possibly the variety if you know it (Marathon, Black Jack, Floratam, TIF 419, etc.).

Also, before even talking grass seed, we need to know why you have bare spots. Are they in deep shade? Are they where the dog pees? Was it first base at the most recent family picnic? Is it a soggy area that always seems wet? Why do you think it's not growing grass?

Again, not trying to be discouraging. We can get you going and likely with less hassle than you may have experienced in the past. How many years have you had this lawn?