A couple of questions...

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
redleader74
Grass Type: tall & fine fescue blend
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

A couple of questions...

Post by redleader74 » September 17th, 2021, 7:57 pm

Earlier this year/summer I was dealing with a major quackgrass issue. I attemped the low mowing technique, understanding there'd be some collateral damage to the lawn. That didn't turn out so well and caused some serious distress that took/is taking, a long time to recover. So I went the RoundUp route, which also had some collateral damage. Since that time I've aerated, overseeded, fertilized and the lawn is showing good progress. However, there are these patches (as seen in the photo as the yellowish areas) that seems to lag in development, while, some of the corners/edge areas seem to be having very lush and healthy growth. I can't figure out what certain areas are struggling like this.

The second issue I have is in the next photo, which is a closeup of a clump type growth. I'm finding these along the borders of the lawn (both front and back, this photo is from the front lawn). They are very, very firm and dense clumps of growth, very thick grass. I'm not sure if this is necessarily quackgrass or what they are. It makes it very difficult to trim the edges. The lawn was installed Summer 2020, fescue mix sod.

Anyway, any help or input into these two issues I'd greatly appreciate. Thanks.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: A couple of questions...

Post by MorpheusPA » September 18th, 2021, 10:51 am

If you haven't had a soil test, I might. It would identify any resource shortages in the lawn (let's just say I have suspicions, but without a soil test, couldn't tell you if I'm right, and certainly couldn't tell you the amounts to add to fix it properly). We use Logan Labs, and read them through the end of October, if memory serves. Could be November, but October is certainly a safe date.

If you wanted to go blind, I wouldn't object to an application of Milorganite AFTER you get the sample for the soil test (if you're going to). It'll give a pretty wide spectrum of a small amount of stuff. Not enough to correct the soil, as a general rule, but it might mask the issue for a couple months, at least. Please note that it won't FIX the issue, most likely, unless it's iron and your pH happens to be in the correct range for that (and that's not what I suspect).

Whatever that second thing is, it's wrong. I'd dig it out or RU it. :-)

redleader74
Grass Type: tall & fine fescue blend
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by redleader74 » September 20th, 2021, 3:44 pm

Ok thanks for the quick and helpful reply. Will check out the lab. In general, most of the landscape contractors we hire around her to put in a lawn or whatever else, dont' know anything about soils, etc., nor do they do anything other than very textbook things, over and over again. They certainly aren't going to test your soil, hire a lab, etc. They barely know what to do about the weeds.

As for the second thing, I'm finding more and more of these "clumps" along edges and random spots in my front and back lawn. If they were quackgrass I'd expect to see those recognizable seed stalks but there aren't any. After my last reseeding I'm finding new blades of grass growing out of the soil of my potted fern pines (see photo). Looks like they're growing healthy, but should I get rid of them for fear it will affect the fern pine? I also though of letting them grow and then using them to replace the holes that will result from me ripping out those strange clumps. Interestingly enough, I tried to purposely plant some of the seeds from the last reseeding into a small flower pot and nothing's grown out of it. While these accidental seeds that landed in the fern pine are doing great :roll:

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » September 21st, 2021, 6:03 am

I'd try pulling a few. To my knowledge, fern pines don't spread like that, so I think they're weeds.