New Sod in the South

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

New Sod in the South

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » March 20th, 2022, 5:02 pm

If you live in the South and have never invested in sod before, please listen to this before you buy.
You will get a much better deal for high quality sod if you buy from a nursery which sells a lot of it than you will buying from Home Depot or Lowes. HD and Lowes receive a shipment of sod roughly once every week or two. This year their prices are well above $3 per piece for St Augustine. I have not seen them offer bermuda. When I look at the sod it is already diseased sitting there at the store. Why? It's been stacked under other pieces of sod for many days. Whereas I can hop over to our local nursery where they sell sod to the local landscaping industry and buy from them. My nursery sells 14 pallets of St Augustine every day. It arrives in the night, fresh, every day of the week, from the sod farms west of Houston. Due to their throughput they can sell the sod for $1.75 per piece and give you a choice of varieties.
Please shop around to get a better product at a better price. You'll get a happier start to the new lawn experience.