Darn weather forecast got me again...should have known better

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Darn weather forecast got me again...should have known better

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 22nd, 2022, 2:36 pm

All summer long, each time the forecast showed rain a week or so out, it would gradually disappear as we got closer. This time however, for a solid week it was showing (an increasing amount) of rain for today (in southern CT), starting overnight last night. Even late yesterday it showed a 90% change of rain, and was predicting an inch. So I put down milo all over, love your soil in backyard, and mag i cal in front yard (I did the reverse front/back last time).

In any case, I wake up today and it's bone dry out, and so far we've had at best a drizzle here and there, and the forecast is now .19 in total for today (not likely), and maybe .20 tomorrow but of course not holding my breathe.

So, aside from just venting, I wanted to ask if love your soil and mag i cal are relatively safe for dogs. We'll of course do our best to make sure she doesn't eat anything, and will clean her feet before we come in, but is it otherwise ok for her to be on the lawn a bit (just to do her business, not roll around and play)?

Thank you.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Re: Darn weather forecast got me again...should have known better

Post by MorpheusPA » August 22nd, 2022, 8:01 pm

Both are fine. The calcium is, simply, calcium bound to humates. Milo is composted and kilned poo. It's pretty sterile, although I wouldn't eat the stuff, personally, dogs eat far worse.

Neither are likely to irritate her paws, and neither are a problem even if she did eat a little, although I personally wouldn't let her, of course.

They miscalled our forecast, too. Ours? 0.5" of rain. So far? 4" and still going, with widespread flooding. But my grass really perked up....

southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 22nd, 2022, 8:49 pm

Great, thank you for the info!

4"? wow! We haven't gotten more than an 1" probably the entire summer combined. Just sprinkles here and there. My neighbors yards all look like straw fields (aside from the 1 or 2 that water like I do).

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » August 23rd, 2022, 6:17 pm

About four and a half total, with another storm rolling in now. But that's the last for another ten days again. It's been a weird summer of alternating dry spells and flooding rains.

The gardens look amazing, though.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » August 24th, 2022, 1:14 am

The famous evaporating rain...

When you have a 75-95% chance, and it gets smaller over the course of a period, until it reaches 25-50% chance, and then nothing or almost nothing happens. I think it's a prediction issue most of the time...overstating the chance. I often check the national weather service and find their percentages lower than others from the start, so it helps me stay realistic.

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by flyin-lowe » September 16th, 2022, 10:14 pm

Also remember the %'s in a weather forecast are not the percent chance of rain. The percentage you see is what percent of the area will receive .1 inch of rain. I think that is the amount but I cant remember. I took a basic meteorology class in college. If your weather app shows for example 60% rain. That means there is a 100% probability that 60% of that coverage area will get at least .1" of rain.
Below is quoted from a weather site...

Meteorologists often use an equation
Facebook Ad.png
Photo by: Satya Mahapatra, KNXV
By: Jorge TorresPosted at 12:03 PM, Jun 23, 2021 and last updated 3:11 PM, Jun 23, 2021
PHOENIX — When looking at rain chances in the forecast, you likely think it’s the probability that it will rain sometime during that forecast timeframe.

If there’s a 30% chance that it will rain, then there a 70% chance that it won’t rain, right?

Not exactly.

The official definition of the probability of precipitation by the National Weather Service is the chance of precipitation (rain, snow, etc.) occurring at any one spot in the area covered by the forecast.

Recent Stories from abc15.com

One simple equation used among meteorologists is P = C x A, or the probability of precipitation equals the meteorologist’s confidence that it will rain, times the percentage of the area that is expected to get rainfall.

For example, if we’re 100% confident that 30% of the Valley will get rainfall, then there’s a 30% chance for rain. If we’re 50% confident that 100% of the Valley will get rain, then there’s a 50% chance of rainfall.