Near instant roundup reaction

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Near instant roundup reaction

Post by southern-ct-4 » September 27th, 2022, 8:04 am

Normally I use a generic glyphosate concentrate, but I ran out/couldn't find it, so I bought some actual Roundup the other day to spray a few spots of triv.

If I recall correctly, with the usual generic I used, it would take days before seeing any reaction at all, and then a few more days to see actual dead grass.

With the roundup, within hours I was seeing something happening, and within a couple of days it's now nearly completely brown/dead.

Is that normal (both to take so long with generic glypho and to have such a quick reaction from Roundup)?

Thanks.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Near instant roundup reaction

Post by andy10917 » September 27th, 2022, 6:00 pm

What color was the bottle cap?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » September 27th, 2022, 8:33 pm

This ^^^

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » October 2nd, 2022, 11:14 am

The reason for asking about the color of the bottle cap is that there are multiple formulations of the (branded) Roundup product, and at least one of the formulations has an additional active ingredient that has an effect of a quick "burn-down". In my experience, it can be so fast that the actual Roundup isn't absorbed to the roots completely, which means that you can see an impressive quick-kill that isn't a full long-term kill.

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by flyin-lowe » October 3rd, 2022, 8:21 am

I used to buy boxes of roundup quick pro max. They are little packets you mix in with one gallon of water. Last year they were 11.00 for 5 packets. This year the are closed to 20.00 and have not been in stock. I don't have the box in front of me but this stuff had the highest percent of glysophate I have seen. it was 70-80% if I recall. It also had another ingredient in it that was quick kill. I could see results on some weeds in less then 20 minutes. This year I went with the generic because it was cheaper and available, it took about a week but did the job.

fun4me2
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by fun4me2 » October 5th, 2022, 8:11 am

andy10917 wrote:
October 2nd, 2022, 11:14 am
The reason for asking about the color of the bottle cap is that there are multiple formulations of the (branded) Roundup product, and at least one of the formulations has an additional active ingredient that has an effect of a quick "burn-down". In my experience, it can be so fast that the actual Roundup isn't absorbed to the roots completely, which means that you can see an impressive quick-kill that isn't a full long-term kill.
I use to get the "red cap" generic stuff and found exactly what you said. Quick kill but it came back.
I switched to the "blue cap" and I thought it worked better. Sometimes it took a couple of applications.
Your post confirmed that it wasn't in my head after all. :no:
Of course applying it on a hot day might have helped a little. :hmm:

southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG

Post by southern-ct-4 » October 14th, 2022, 5:40 pm

Sorry for my delayed response, but I don't get alerts when there are replies (and I forgot to check-in periodically).

I believe it was one of these (but i no longer have the container so I can't be certain):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Roundup-Rea ... /205563820

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Roundup-Rea ... /206840702

Is it too late to hit it again (with a better/slower version) to ensure I got everything? Or just wait until the spring at this point?

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » April 16th, 2023, 11:28 pm

Looks like they're combining the glyphosate with Pelargonic acid to speed up browning. See the wikipedia article for a bit more info.

This reminds me, a while back, 2023 was stated as being the year that Scotts would cease selling glyphosate on the residential market (because they couldn't tolerate the lawsuits and caved in). Anyone heard anything about this recently? This potentially has big implications, but I haven't heard anymore this year about it. Still happening?