Timing of overseeding, core aeration and lime

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Roland
Grass Type: Kentucky Blue Grass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Timing of overseeding, core aeration and lime

Post by Roland » July 27th, 2017, 1:42 pm

In the next 2 months i'll be over seeding. I'd also like to core aerate and apply lime and milorganite. Is there any suggested order that i should do these things in or can I do them all the same weekend?

Thank you,

Roland

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Timing of overseeding, core aeration and lime

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 27th, 2017, 2:15 pm

Liming is generally not recommended at seed-down. I'd suggest lime be either 30+ days before seed-down, or 30+ days after germination.

Opinions on core aeration at the time of overseeding are mixed. Core aeration right before seed-down is a general recommendation from the lawn care industry, local cooperative extensions, etc. However, the common voiced opinion on these forums is that core aeration carries a risk of bringing up unwanted weed seeds that outweighs its benefits, unless there is actually a physical compaction issue with the soil.

Milorganite should be fine at seed-down. Personally, I prefer using a traditional "starter fertilizer" at seed-down, but that may be a minority view amongst folks reading here.

Personally, I have never had good success at overseeding in my two attempts. i.e., I'm 0 for 2 on successful overseeding. Others report success with overseeding from time to time, so maybe I'm doing something wrong...

(I am 4 for 4 on at least mostly successful efforts at lawn renovations, where one kills off the old grass and starts afresh, though.)

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Re: Timing of overseeding, core aeration and lime

Post by northeastlawn » July 27th, 2017, 10:09 pm

I have done about 3 over-seeds and will do my first full reno in a few weeks.

I have to agree with what many say; I wouldn't do any core aeration or slit seeding. I don't think its needed if you do the following.

1.) Cut the lawn down to 1 1/2" to 2" slowly over a few weeks
2.) Make sure you soak the lawn the night before to get the ground soft.
3.) You do a good job of raking the lawn to loosen up the top soil.
4.) measure out and weight the seed and spread
5.) Lastly I really do believe in using a lawn roller to get good seed to soil contact.
6.) Then I will spray with Tenacity and cover with peat moss

I guess i am disturbing the top soil a little and may free up some weed seeds, but the over-seeds have worked. The problem you run into is that you are watering a lot to insure the seed germinates, as a result you open the door to a lot of problems like fungus in the old lawn and POA thriving.

A full reno while scarier is almost as much work, but because you are starting from scratch are able to control more of the variables and not making as many trade offs.

Good Luck