Building temporary Golf Hole

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Mattw10517
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Building temporary Golf Hole

Post by Mattw10517 » August 21st, 2017, 9:35 am

Some neighbors and I are having an impromptu golf tournament. Each house is building a hole, including a putting green. I'm looking for tips on how to make my putting green look as best as possible. I normally cut at 3.5". I figured it would be best to bring the height down gradually, so I cut the proposed green down to 2.5" last week, which promptly turned it brown. I was hoping to get the area down to 1-1.5". Is that doable while still keeping the grass alive? The tournament is in 3 weeks. What should my game plan be to get my "hole" in golf course shape?

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Building temporary Golf Hole

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 21st, 2017, 10:45 am

Hmm. This depends a lot upon your grass type. Is the "putting green" portion of your lawn TTTF as indicated in your profile?

We don't have any TTTF in our lawn to be able to contribute first-hand experiences, but in general, "tall fescue" doesn't tolerate short mowing heights well. (Makes sense -- I mean, "tall" is even right there in the name of the grass!)

Hopefully others with TTTF can share their experiences with TTTF at short mowing heights.

Paul
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG Monostand
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by Paul » August 21st, 2017, 11:37 am

Putting greens are either Bent (cool season) or Bermuda (warm season). I don't think a putting green of TTTF is going to survive or be feasible. If you had KBG, you could get close, but even KBG would be tough.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 21st, 2017, 12:52 pm

Hi, Matt! :hello:

Who came up with this plan? Residential turfgrass doesn't (normally) tolerate putting green heights of < 1/4". Some of the elite KBG can tolerate 1" mowing heights.

I'd slowly drop it down to fairway heights and then put some of that green outdoor carpet or synthetic putting green material down the day of the event, then take it back up the next day.

It's the hottest, dryest weather we've had here - not surprised it's brown after the fast lower of HOC. To help it recover, I'd apply plenty of water and some weekly, 1/4 lb per K feedings of urea when the heat breaks hopefully this weekend.

Buzz
Grass Type: KBG in back/ Mix in front
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Buzz » August 22nd, 2017, 2:34 pm

No advice to offer, but sounds like fun!