How to spot spray with tenacity & certainty...?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

How to spot spray with tenacity & certainty...?

Post by southern-ct-4 » May 18th, 2022, 3:19 pm

While I fully understand the ratios, and that (as an example and per the directions) I should apply Tenacity as follows; "Spot Application of Tenacity (apply at 1 gallon per 1000 sq ft)...", I never quite know if I spraying too much or too little when spraying random spots (or small-ish areas) around the yard.

If I happen to have exactly 1k sq ft to spray, then I would just go lightly/moderately over the area, over and over until the sprayer was empty. But if I'm just spraying here and there, should I do a light spray (and as long as some liquid is hitting the grass that's enough), should I spray just enough to make sure it's all covered, should I really soak it to make sure I've got lots of product on it, etc...?

Whatever I'm doing right now seems to be pretty inconsistent as I have some areas turning nice and white, others starting to turn a bit, and others barely changing (it could be that I've misdiagnosed bad poa and it's really not, hence it's not lighting up, but I think I'm just spraying different amounts...).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Re: How to spot spray with tenacity & certainty...?

Post by Masbustelo » May 19th, 2022, 8:50 am

I have no experience with certainty. With tenacity it doesn't take a lot. Just be sure you hit your area once. There is no need to hit it twice.

Adam_M
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Prosperity

Post by Adam_M » May 19th, 2022, 1:00 pm

To me, it's a bit of muscle memory. I know about how fast I move the wand when doing a blanket spray and I try to move there wand the same speed for a spot spray.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » May 19th, 2022, 10:03 pm

One option for spot spraying if you think you might either go too heavy or use too little carrier volume, is to make the solution 2-5x more dilute than normal and then don't worry about giving it a decent hit with the sprayer. For a nonselective like glyphosate, it doesnt really matter because it's all going to be dead anyway.