Poa Triv Invasion Counter-offensive

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Poa Triv Invasion Counter-offensive

Post by Green » June 25th, 2022, 9:17 pm

Oze, I just did my first Velocity app yesterday (right before hot weather, as usually happens). It'll go a bit drought-stressed-looking and slow down because of the PGR effect as well. On the upside, it also acts as a preventative fungicide for dollar spot. On the negative side, I already have red thread and pink patch in that area, so the Velocity can only make it look worse.

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by oze » July 10th, 2022, 12:09 pm

Thirty days after the 2nd application of Velocity, sixty days after the first. I swear that the triv looks *better* than it did a month ago. Other than the Velocity apps, the area is not being treated differently than the rest of the lawn. It's been hot, and I have been irrigating when appropriate.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » July 10th, 2022, 4:19 pm

My experience is the best way to kill triv is multiple applications of Roundup in early spring.

Folks don’t generally want to do that because it means filling the dead spots with transplanted grass or living with it until August.

I’ve not had any issues with triv since attacking it in early spring. Then it’s just maintaining the pre-emergent barrier.

oze

Post by oze » July 15th, 2022, 4:49 pm

turf_toes wrote:
July 10th, 2022, 4:19 pm
My experience is the best way to kill triv is multiple applications of Roundup in early spring.

Folks don’t generally want to do that because it means filling the dead spots with transplanted grass or living with it until August.

I’ve not had any issues with triv since attacking it in early spring. Then it’s just maintaining the pre-emergent barrier.
It may end up that way, but I have a supply of Velocity to use up, so I'm going to give that a go for a couple of seasons and see how the PRG/Triv survival rate goes. I also have some TurfStar with RPR that I will be using to overseed.

oze

Post by oze » July 15th, 2022, 4:51 pm

Green wrote:
June 25th, 2022, 9:17 pm
Oze, I just did my first Velocity app yesterday (right before hot weather, as usually happens). It'll go a bit drought-stressed-looking and slow down because of the PGR effect as well. On the upside, it also acts as a preventative fungicide for dollar spot. On the negative side, I already have red thread and pink patch in that area, so the Velocity can only make it look worse.
How's the fight going, Green? :duel:

Green

Post by Green » July 15th, 2022, 7:28 pm

Hey oze,

I'm irrigating somewhat minimally, letting things go a slight bit brown (both to help fight Triv, and because water resources are limited). The front Triv-infested area is getting watered twice a week at this point. I think this is going to be a good Summer for control using Velocity, based on my previous experience! The weather patterns and your irrigation habits can make a big difference in the outcome of the fight!

moejoe
Grass Type: tall fescue

Post by moejoe » July 17th, 2022, 11:14 am

Green wrote:
July 15th, 2022, 7:28 pm
Hey oze,

I'm irrigating somewhat minimally, letting things go a slight bit brown (both to help fight Triv, and because water resources are limited). The front Triv-infested area is getting watered twice a week at this point. I think this is going to be a good Summer for control using Velocity, based on my previous experience! The weather patterns and your irrigation habits can make a big difference in the outcome of the fight!
Agree - this year with the early heat in ohio and less watering, my velocity blanket sprays are really doing a number on the triv! I hope it is not just dormant though!

upsguy2
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by upsguy2 » July 23rd, 2022, 5:43 pm

My understanding from lots of reading here years ago was that unless you had KBG you were stuck with triv unless you nuked the lawn because there was no selective herbicide for triv that wouldn't jack up northern mix/PRG.

Is there a guide or quality write-up somewhere that I missed that can help with getting rid of poa trivialis without hurting the lawn? My back lawn is loaded with triv. :(

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » July 23rd, 2022, 8:57 pm

Your memory isn’t quite right. Triv has always been difficult to eliminate regardless of what cool season grass you are growing.

There are some newer herbicides that supposedly show some promise. But most reports I’ve seen show them falling short.

The best way, until now, is to kill it in early spring with multiple rounds of glysophate. Then plug the dead spots or reseed in the fall.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » July 24th, 2022, 11:26 am

I mean, I've had extremely good luck with Tenacity, but I combine it with other stuff, use extra spreader sticker, and make sure to hit it right before summer and winter (and don't bother very early in the season or at the end of summer when it's prime time for grasses). It works beautifully on P. triv and P. annua.

moejoe

Post by moejoe » July 24th, 2022, 5:13 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
July 24th, 2022, 11:26 am
I mean, I've had extremely good luck with Tenacity, but I combine it with other stuff, use extra spreader sticker, and make sure to hit it right before summer and winter (and don't bother very early in the season or at the end of summer when it's prime time for grasses). It works beautifully on P. triv and P. annua.
What are the exact ingredients you use? Do you have links? I have tried tenacity over the years but never luck with poa triv.

JM

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » July 24th, 2022, 7:54 pm

moejoe wrote:
July 24th, 2022, 5:13 pm
MorpheusPA wrote:
What are the exact ingredients you use? Do you have links? I have tried tenacity over the years but never luck with poa triv.

JM
I do, but first...a warning. Wear long pants and long sleeves, gloves, and a mask. If you get this stuff on yourself, adjourn and shower immediately because it's going to skin-absorb almost immediately to unknown effect. When I say this is potentially dangerous, I'm not just saying that for fun or for overcaution; the chemical I use is designed to carry medication through the skin and into the cellular structure (it's also freely available on the market and very cheap due to the peculiarities of American laws). It amplifies the effects of herbicides beyond belief, but renders them incredibly dangerous to you as well.

You still want to know?

It's DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide). Use at your own risk, about 1 tsp per gallon. During use, seriously, if you even think you got exposed, go bathe. If you taste garlic, you're in trouble (and it's too late). Just in and of itself, overexposure to DMSO can cause skin reactions, dry skin, headache, dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, breathing problems, and allergic reactions.

This is not safe stuff, not recommended, and I'm specifically recommending that you don't use it because it isn't safe. It's not a joke. I'm not kidding. This is not a toy. And this is about the only time you'll hear this kind of warning from me; I tend to tell you to toss stuff around with abandon. DMSO is not something to play with.

moejoe

Post by moejoe » July 24th, 2022, 10:25 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
July 24th, 2022, 7:54 pm
moejoe wrote:
July 24th, 2022, 5:13 pm
MorpheusPA wrote:

JM
I do, but first...a warning. Wear long pants and long sleeves, gloves, and a mask. If you get this stuff on yourself, adjourn and shower immediately because it's going to skin-absorb almost immediately to unknown effect. When I say this is potentially dangerous, I'm not just saying that for fun or for overcaution; the chemical I use is designed to carry medication through the skin and into the cellular structure (it's also freely available on the market and very cheap due to the peculiarities of American laws). It amplifies the effects of herbicides beyond belief, but renders them incredibly dangerous to you as well.

You still want to know?

It's DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide). Use at your own risk, about 1 tsp per gallon. During use, seriously, if you even think you got exposed, go bathe. If you taste garlic, you're in trouble (and it's too late). Just in and of itself, overexposure to DMSO can cause skin reactions, dry skin, headache, dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, breathing problems, and allergic reactions.

This is not safe stuff, not recommended, and I'm specifically recommending that you don't use it because it isn't safe. It's not a joke. I'm not kidding. This is not a toy. And this is about the only time you'll hear this kind of warning from me; I tend to tell you to toss stuff around with abandon. DMSO is not something to play with.

I think I'll pass - lol

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » July 25th, 2022, 11:08 am

That's wise. I wear an impenetrable lab coat, Neoprene gloves, and a face shield, plus solid rubber shoes.

oze

Post by oze » July 25th, 2022, 5:52 pm

Although I know that it will be a multi-year process, Velocity appears to be killing the triv, while sparing the PRG in my test so far.

moejoe

Post by moejoe » July 25th, 2022, 5:59 pm

oze wrote:
July 25th, 2022, 5:52 pm
Although I know that it will be a multi-year process, Velocity appears to be killing the triv, while sparing the PRG in my test so far.
I hope they invent something soon since I only have 1/2 bottle of velocity left - it should last me another 5 years but I think this will need to be a yearly process.

JM

oze

Post by oze » July 25th, 2022, 6:01 pm

moejoe wrote:
July 25th, 2022, 5:59 pm
oze wrote:
July 25th, 2022, 5:52 pm
I hope they invent something soon since I only have 1/2 bottle of velocity left - it should last me another 5 years but I think this will need to be a yearly process.

JM
Yeah, it looks like Velocity is no longer available. I also have just over a half a container left, but at such tiny application rates, it should (hopefully) last me a while.

Green

Post by Green » August 6th, 2022, 10:31 pm

Oze, in case your curious: There is an herbicide version with the same active ingredient apparently still made (by the same company that made Velocity). It's an 80% formulation, and intended (labeled) for a different use (not turf). It comes in 2 lb bags and is insanely expensive ($1,000). So, the active ingredient is still around, technically. I know it's also used on rice under yet another name, too.

oze

Post by oze » August 8th, 2022, 4:58 pm

Green wrote:
August 6th, 2022, 10:31 pm
Oze, in case your curious: There is an herbicide version with the same active ingredient apparently still made (by the same company that made Velocity). It's an 80% formulation, and intended (labeled) for a different use (not turf). It comes in 2 lb bags and is insanely expensive ($1,000). So, the active ingredient is still around, technically. I know it's also used on rice under yet another name, too.
YIKES! I checked my container of Velocity, and I actually do have quite a bit left; a lot more than 3/4 full, which will probably outlast me!

I put down Eagle 0.39 G yesterday, and have started to lower the cutting height of the areas I plan to overseed. 7 days to go! :P

oze

Post by oze » August 15th, 2022, 5:30 pm

Overseeded yesterday. The lawn has responded to the Eagle and starter fertilizer. Here is the picture after the last Velocity app. I would say that most of the killing was complete before the 3rd app. But, pending on how things look next year, I will probably repeat the process.