Was it really Triv?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
HanLawn
Grass Type: COCHISE IV,FALCON V,FAITH TTTF + KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Was it really Triv?

Post by HanLawn » May 5th, 2013, 5:46 pm

I posted earlier this season about the 3-4 different spots in my front yard that were lime green,and growing much faster than the rest of my lawn,thought it was Triv.Not so sure now,as it has basically either disappeared without leaving thin spots or brown blades{not likely}, or whatever it was has slowed its growth and darkened to match the rest of the lawn? The spots that once stood out like sore thumbs just seems to have vanished,and certainly not hot enough for it to have gone dormant yet,so what does that tell you? I did drop 2lb/K ferrous sulfate a few weeks ago,that may have caused the triv to darken,but to slow its growth to match the rest of the lawn too seems impossible.

Billybob
Grass Type: TTTF

Re: Was it really Triv?

Post by Billybob » May 5th, 2013, 6:01 pm

I think you willed it away.... :club: Sorry comic relief. Now for an intelligent answer....

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » May 5th, 2013, 6:13 pm

I have a fast-growing patch that is yellow-green, almost like Triv. I was afraid it was Triv, but it is on the other side of the driveway where there is no Triv. I went and inspected it closely, and it turned out to be Ryegrass (which is one of the grasses I planted on purpose). Sometimes ryegrass will grow very fast and become light green. I'm not sure why this happens, though. Then it reverts to darker color and slower growth. Could be a soil issue in just that area.

jglongisland
Grass Type: KBG

Post by jglongisland » May 5th, 2013, 9:49 pm

Could have been annual rye, which seems to be fading. My hours and hours of painting the blades over the past 6 weeks seems to have paid off, just needed the weather to warm up.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » May 5th, 2013, 10:58 pm

jglongisland wrote:Could have been annual rye, which seems to be fading. My hours and hours of painting the blades over the past 6 weeks seems to have paid off, just needed the weather to warm up.
I think my lighter colored rye I just mentioned is annual. Has clasping auricles. It seems like it wants to go to seed (just like everything else). Not sure why it's actually perennial if it's called annual though.