Water schedule for renovation question

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Dave
Grass Type: Front: Blue Velvet, Blueberry and Boutique. Rear lawn: NOT elite so who cares.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Water schedule for renovation question

Post by Dave » September 16th, 2009, 7:22 pm

I am 3 weeks in to my renovation and I wanted to ask this 4 weeks ago since it has always been on my mind so I thought I'd ask. The water schedule general rule is water 2 or 3 times a day, 10 to 15 minutes a day the first 2 weeks so the seed stays moist but not puddled. Then the next week we increase the water to 20- 30 minutes, once a day, then 45 minutes once a day every other day for another week.

Now my question comes in about the type of seed being used. This schedule might be fine for FF but in my case I planted KBG seed, and while I got germination of some seed in 6 days some seed took longer. The book says 14-21 days to germinate. So....

Why would I not want to keep the same watering schedule I use the first week for at least 3 weeks so I know that I kept all my KBG seed moist for at least 21 days? After 21 days I could asume that I got all the germination I am going to get and I can now switch my watering schedule to give my new seedlings roots their proper watering.

Bestlawn

Re: Water schedule for renovation question

Post by Bestlawn » September 16th, 2009, 8:35 pm

There's no one-size-fits-all method of watering the seeds, so you can relax a bit and know you have to tweak according to your observations, needs, conditions, etc. There was so much to consider when I composed the schedule, and temperature was a major one. By the time you're 3rd week into your planting, temps have likely dropped within ideal range and days are shorter, which also means the seeds/soil don't dry so quickly anymore. I've wet my renovation seedbed twice in the past few days. Each time it was still not completely dry the next day. We've had temps in the lower 70s daytime and mid 50s at night. That's perfect weather. But there are always those who plant before temperatures are ideal, so they, like you, have to modify the schedule to suit their needs, as I explained beneath it. Another reason temperature plays a major role is that all this shallow watering is not good for the soil. Going into evening and through the night wet every day for so long.......well just imagine the warning signs LOL. If your weather is like ours, there's no way the seeds still need 2-3 times a day watering. But you can see them to know that for certain.

You also have mostly germination after the 2nd week, so all things considered, I think it best to move on and encourage root growth of the seedlings rather than continue coddling the few straggling seeds, knowing they too will come along.

Bestlawn

Post by Bestlawn » September 16th, 2009, 8:42 pm

I just looked up your forecast for the week. I really do suggest you move along according to the schedule for the most part.

Dave
Grass Type: Front: Blue Velvet, Blueberry and Boutique. Rear lawn: NOT elite so who cares.

Post by Dave » September 17th, 2009, 9:16 am

Will do.

lumangoy
Grass Type: KBG (Midnight II, Moonlight & Bedazzled)

Post by lumangoy » September 22nd, 2009, 8:27 pm

I'm going into 15th day and i had germination at around 8 days. I've been watering my hell strip 2 x a week (10:30 and 3:30) for about 6 mins. When it got hot, I would do a 3rd.

I'm thinking of moving that to once a day for 10 mins. for one week, then about 15 mins the following.

do I have to worry about drying up the soil? I would think most of the seends have already germinated. (they're around 3/4 of an inch now). I want to encourage deep and infrequent watering right?

Bestlawn

Post by Bestlawn » September 22nd, 2009, 9:05 pm

lumangoy, read your first paragraph and tell us if you meant what you typed or if something was an accident, please.

lumangoy

Post by lumangoy » September 22nd, 2009, 9:32 pm

lumangoy wrote:I'm going into 15th day and i had germination at around 8 days. I've been watering my hell strip 2 x a week (10:30 and 3:30) for about 6 mins. When it got hot, I would do a 3rd.
are you referring to i? i meant it germinated

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 22nd, 2009, 9:41 pm

I think she's referring to the 2X a week (10:30 and 3:30) part. Did you mean 2X a day?

lumangoy

Post by lumangoy » September 22nd, 2009, 9:58 pm

haha, yeah i meant 2x a day.

it must be really late! :confused:

Bestlawn

Post by Bestlawn » September 23rd, 2009, 9:41 am

LOL We all know the feeling sometimes.

Yeah, you want to begin limiting the frequency while increasing supply the way you explained it. The irrigation schedule is here for a little guidance.