My 2009 Renovation

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Blackbird
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

My 2009 Renovation

Post by Blackbird » September 20th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Hi everyone. I just wanted to update you on the 2009 renovation of my front lawn. I slice-seeded my front lawn with 2 1/2 lbs. of KBG blend per thousand sq. ft. The blend I used was 40% Prosperity, 40% Award & 20% Boutique. Before I dropped the seed, I had quite a bit of work to do to my lawn. After I had killed my lawn, I repaired a broken downspout pipe out by the public sidewalk. About a foot before the pipe ran under the sidewalk, the pipe had broken. The break occurred because the pipe had clogged underneath the sidewalk. When Winter came last year, the water that was trapped in the pipe froze and broke the pipe.

After I had dug up and replace that bad section of pipe, I focused my attention on installing a irrigation system for the front lawn. The system is finished for the front, but next year, I need to run pipes, valves and sprinkler heads for my back yard. I'm going to renovate my backyard next year after I install the irrigation system back there.

Everything is on schedule with my front. Tiny seedlings were visible on day 7 and the lawn has been progressing every day since. Today is day 11.

Thanks to Mallory and everyone else who helped me select my cultivars. I'm really looking forward to seeing what it's going to look like when it's fully mature and grown in a couple of years down the road. It's nice to be able to renovate my own lawn, instead of someone else's lawn for a change. :P

Before I killed lawn

After I killed lawn

Day 10

Sprinkler system pics

Controller

Backflow Preventer

Valve Boxes

simpson
Grass Type: moonlight slt

Re: My 2009 Renovation

Post by simpson » September 20th, 2009, 9:36 pm

holy cow on the back flow Preventer. I thought it had to be 12 inches above the Highest sprinkler not 12 feet. Every thing looks great. What type of sprays did you put in? I just did all rainbird i have the same controller as you.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 20th, 2009, 10:16 pm

You're pretty ambitious there! It's looking great.

Blackbird
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by Blackbird » September 21st, 2009, 9:38 am

Lol. While my front yard slopes downhill Simpson, my backyard slopes uphill. The highest sprinkler back there will be 58" above ground level where the backflow preventer is. That's why the installed height of the backflow is 72".

I do this kind of work for a living Andy, so it's not a big deal to me. :)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

clay&crabgrass
Grass Type: none

Post by clay&crabgrass » September 21st, 2009, 10:15 am

good looking job. having done(still doing) my own, couldn't imagine doing it for others, they couldn't afford me.
love the pictures with the work truck sitting by the RU'd yard. save those photo's for the brochure?
keep up the good work.

simpson
Grass Type: moonlight slt

Post by simpson » September 21st, 2009, 6:01 pm

Blackbird wrote:Lol. While my front yard slopes downhill Simpson, my backyard slopes uphill. The highest sprinkler back there will be 58" above ground level where the backflow preventer is. That's why the installed height of the backflow is 72".

I do this kind of work for a living Andy, so it's not a big deal to me. :)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
I knew you had a reason for putting it that high.