Tall fescue overseed/renovation (pics updated 11/29)

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
tiemco
Grass Type: TTTF (Firecracker LS, Faith, Cochise IV, 3rd Millenium SRP) front. Leaves covering whatever was left of supina and triv in back (fallowing).
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Tall fescue overseed/renovation (pics updated 11/29)

Post by tiemco » September 23rd, 2009, 11:32 am

(This post is basically the same one I posted on the GardenWeb Forums)
After my lousy spring TTTF spot renovations I decided to overseed and renovate the whole front yard. Most of the good grass in the pics was planted last fall with Vigoro's tall fescue blend with some RTF. Here are some pics of what it looked like in early August:

This is a general pic taken from across the street after it was mowed at about 3 inches.

Here are some closer shots. You can see that along the street there is a fair amount of crabgrass.

Here is one of the areas of spring seeded TTTF that got taken out by brown patch.

More of the same here.

Here is the old grass as you look towards the street. It was a mix of fine fescue, poa triv, weed and misc. grasses. You can see the border of the good TTTF and the old lawn. The area next to the street was another area of spring seeded tall fescue. It was much better looking, but still had areas of dead grass, as well as thin unhealthy grass.

More of the same as you look towards the driveway. This older section wasn't too visible from the street, but it sure bothered me.

So I glyphosated (is that even a word?) everything I didn't like. Here are the shots about a week after that:

So I scalped and power raked the dead sections, and core aerated the whole lawn. While I made only one overlapping pass on the nice areas, I made multiple passes on the areas I killed off as well as the brown patch areas. I didn't take any pics of this, but I am sure you can imagine what it looked like. I put down some nice compost on the bare areas, and I manually raked the good grass I had left to remove/breakup the cores and remove dead grass, then I mowed the good grass to about one and a half inches. I then overseeded the good grass, and seeded the bare areas. I used a mix containing 40% Firecracker LS, 30% Faith, and 30% Cochise IV. I topdressed (by hand) with a mix of topsoil and peat moss until I couldn't see the seed. It was a very thin layer, probably 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. It took me three days to seed the lawn and top dress since it was midweek. The first day was 9/14. Basically I did a third of the lawn every day for three days. I neglected to take pics of that as well. Again it looked basically the same as the glyphosated pics but instead of light brown the areas were dark, almost black. These next pics were taken Monday afternoon. It gives a good idea of how it looked after seeding, but of course you can see the seedlings in 2/3rds of the lawn, the last third started showing yesterday.

Here's a shot from the street. You can see the progression of seedlings from right to left, as I seeded the area near the driveway first.

A closer shot:

Here's the worst and largest brown patch area. Notice that the phone company removed the old pole (there were two in the previous pics). I laid down some plywood boards for them, thank god that they told me they were coming on Monday, or else they would have ruined a lot of hard work. If it was one week later they would have trampled a lot of young grass. I really dodged a bullet there.

You can see the seedlings here, those leaves drive me crazy.

Here is a part that was seeded last, 9/16. You can see the line of the seedlings from the 9/15 seeding. Do you like my hose bridge?

Here is that narrow patch by the street. This area gets the most sun and heat from the street, so it's no surprise that these seedlings are the greenest and tallest.

So far everything looks good. In hindsight I wish I planted about a week earlier, but I had too much going on at that time, and also I needed to wait out some rainy days. There are two large hickory trees that attract many squirrels that love to tear up all my hard work. My squirrel trapping last year and this year has kept their damage to a minimum (don't worry, they are humanely trapped and let go in an open space woods area). The weather is perfect, seventies in the day, fifties at night, hope it lasts for a month. I will probably update with pics every week or so. I also did a backyard renovation using poa trivialis, which will probably be posted sometime soon. Enjoy.
Last edited by tiemco on November 30th, 2009, 1:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

eriocaulon
Grass Type: KBG(midnight/moonlight), TTTF (summerlawn), RSBG (Winterplex, SabreIII)

Re: Tall fescue overseed/partial renovation (with lots of pics)

Post by eriocaulon » September 23rd, 2009, 11:37 am

Wow, you did quite a bit of work there! Nice job...Looking good so far!

Seven333
Grass Type: Northern Mix slowly being consumed by Orfeo KBG

Post by Seven333 » September 23rd, 2009, 1:47 pm

Do you expect the new fescue to be darker than the old? How often do you overseed to maintain the turf density?

tiemco
Grass Type: TTTF (Firecracker LS, Faith, Cochise IV, 3rd Millenium SRP) front. Leaves covering whatever was left of supina and triv in back (fallowing).

Post by tiemco » September 23rd, 2009, 2:20 pm

I am pretty sure TTTF doesn't have the wide range of color differences like in KBG. Sure some are darker than others, but not like KBG where some are dark blue green vs. light green. Most seed companies select for dark green, and will only bring lighter cultivars to market if they offer a huge improvement in disease tolerance, drought tolerance, etc. Of course I am a bit worried that the differences might be noticeable, but I guess only time will tell. Hopefully the overseed will help the old sections blend better to the new if there is a big difference in color. As far as overseeding frequency I think you just look at the grass towards the end of summer. If you had a tough year, lost a lot due to drought and/or disease, then you need a major overseed. If you had a good year, then it might not be necessary. Hopefully the Firecracker LS will provide some spreading and overseeding might not be necessary for a long time. I expect in another 10-15 years they will have some TF that spreads almost as well as KBG.

Bestlawn

Post by Bestlawn » September 23rd, 2009, 2:35 pm

Way to go and looking good. I know what you mean about the leaves. You might be able to blow them. Maybe try a small area to see if the new growths are too fragile.

tiemco

Post by tiemco » September 23rd, 2009, 10:22 pm

I actually did fire up the leaf blower yesterday, and it worked well, but low and behold the next day, more leaves. Guess I will just have to make it part of the lawn babying ritual.

nothing0
Grass Type: Front yard-3rd Millennium TTTF Back- Zinfandel KBG

Post by nothing0 » September 23rd, 2009, 11:40 pm

Do you like my hose bridge?

Genius! :clapping:

tiemco

Post by tiemco » September 30th, 2009, 8:15 am

It's been a week since the last set of pictures, and the weather has been good, the deer and squirrels haven't done much damage, and the grass is still green. So enough talk, lets look at some pics.
Here's the view from the street:

To the left, looking at the brown patch area near the telephone pole:

The hose bridge (just for you nothing0)!

Here's the front brown patch area by the flowers and driveway:

Here is the area looking towards the sycamore. I have been blowing the leaves as best I could off the new grass onto the old that has been overseeded. Seems like there has been some thinning on the border of the old and the new, which you can kind of see here:

Here's looking at the sycamore from the opposite side:

So it's been 15, 14, and 13 days for the three sections. Some areas are at 3 inches, others are 2 at the most. Most of the difference is probably due to the amount of sun the taller areas get. I am dying to cut the whole yard, (gotta get those leaves off) but I am going to hold off for one more week so that it is all at or above 3 inches, unless any of the areas start laying down, then I will probably selectively mow. The weather forecast for the next week is cool for the next three days, rain for the weekend, but warmer, and then still warm (low 70's) with sun on monday and tuesday. So tuesday will probably be the big day, and of course I will have to take pics after that momentous occassion. See you next week.

Seven333
Grass Type: Northern Mix slowly being consumed by Orfeo KBG

Re: Tall fescue overseed/renovation (new pics added 9/30)

Post by Seven333 » September 30th, 2009, 8:40 am

Any new pics of the Firecracker LS monostand?

Bestlawn

Post by Bestlawn » September 30th, 2009, 10:43 am

Wow! Looks really great.

Drinyth
Grass Type: KBG - Award, Bewitched, Kingfisher

Post by Drinyth » September 30th, 2009, 11:29 am

Looking really good, tiemco!

nothing0

Post by nothing0 » September 30th, 2009, 12:07 pm

The hose bridge (just for you nothing0)!
:) Looks great. Thanks for the laugh.

What's the brown patch from? Did I miss something?

tiemco

Post by tiemco » September 30th, 2009, 12:15 pm

Thanks for reminding me Seven333, I took pics yesterday, but forgot to post them. I have updated the Firecracker LS thread with the pics.

Nothing0, I had brown patch this summer in a few areas that you can see on the pictures taken in the middle of August. I still refer to them as the brown patch areas even though there is no more brown patch going on.

Ohio2112
Grass Type: KBG

Post by Ohio2112 » September 30th, 2009, 12:29 pm

Looks fantastic!
Great job!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

nothing0

Post by nothing0 » September 30th, 2009, 12:32 pm

:oops: I understand now.

gtnike
Grass Type: Meyer Zoysia, TTTF in the shade

Post by gtnike » September 30th, 2009, 1:56 pm

Tiemco, do you mind me asking what state you are in? I am in Tennessee and am trying to get TTTF to grow, but don't seem to be having the success you are.

tiemco

Post by tiemco » September 30th, 2009, 2:06 pm

I am in Connecticut, right on the coast. Let's have some details about how you go about planting grass. Give me a run down of how you prepare the soil, seed, top dress, water, etc.

IwantItgreen
Grass Type: Midnight, MoonShadow, Bedazzled KBG

Post by IwantItgreen » September 30th, 2009, 7:01 pm

tiemco, that is looking top notch! I don't think you could expect anything better that this!

tiemco

Post by tiemco » September 30th, 2009, 11:47 pm

Thanks Iwantitgreen, it's always nice to hear stuff like that. I am very happy with the quality of the grass. Some spots are a bit thin, i.e. needed a bit more seed, but I am hoping that once it tillers in it will be nice and full, plus I have seen the damage from too much seed and it's not pretty.

IwantItgreen
Grass Type: Midnight, MoonShadow, Bedazzled KBG

Post by IwantItgreen » October 1st, 2009, 6:05 am

Tell me what happens when there is too much seed. I have a small spot in my new renovation where I tipped the speader and it is sure looking fantastic now. So tell me what to watch for. I actually did take my bulb planter and took some "plugs" out of it already to put in some bare spots.