Weeds in last year's reno and how to treat them

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
tnkrer
Grass Type: bullseye, crochise IV, rhapsody, bewitched in the front. unknown grass in the back, fine fescue mix in shady area
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Weeds in last year's reno and how to treat them

Post by tnkrer » April 25th, 2014, 10:16 am

One of the major reasons that I did the reno last fall was that I had way too many weeds (quantity and diversity). After killing it all with glyphosate and reseeding the lawn, this spring I am seeing very few weeds. That is the good news. But I feel that I need to stay on top of the game to make sure that they do not take over again. I don't yet recognize many different weeds, so I am hoping that you guys can help me figure out the kinds of weeds I have and how to treat them.

Since the number is small, I plan to paint them with glyphosate. Shoud I take the glyphosate concentrate directly to paint? What are you supposed to use? 1 inch paint brush? smaller? With surfactant or without?

Here are the pictures of what I have and what I plan to do to treat those. Some are identified already by you guys. Please help out if you can.

Star of Bethlehem - Plan to paint with glyphosate. About 10 of these in the lawn

helicopter weed on the left. (Searching for helicopter weed however does not give more information on this weed ;) ). Pull out as and when I notice it. It seems to be from maple seeds

The weed on the right in the earlier photo (and a closer photo after this). Don't know what it is. Pull out when I see it, but it is wide spread. Any better way to treat it?

tnkrer
Grass Type: bullseye, crochise IV, rhapsody, bewitched in the front. unknown grass in the back, fine fescue mix in shady area

Re: Weeds in last year's reno and how to treat them

Post by tnkrer » April 25th, 2014, 10:17 am

Forum doesn't let me post more than 5 pictures in one post, so second one about some grassy weeds. No idea what these are
Planning to paint with glyphosate. 10 of these bunches. Would they spread if untreated?

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » April 25th, 2014, 11:33 am

Well, looks like it's coming alive again! That's good!

Recent thread on glyphosate painting, as I've taken to that as well:

http://aroundtheyard.com/northern/paint ... 13429.html

Yep, use surfactant. I'd use a smaller paintbrush than 1" - I ended up making larger dents in my lawn than I wanted. A quarter inch brush requires a lot more dipping but gives me a more precise application with less collateral damage.

Jason1604
Grass Type: Front: 2016 Reno, Cochise IV, Bullseye, LS100 TTTF.

Post by Jason1604 » April 25th, 2014, 10:30 pm

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but maple seeds produce those tiny maple trees. I have a huge maple tree and every year I simply hand pull all of those little trees that spout from squirrels burying the seeds. Not sure that second picture is from maple seeds.

GaryCinChicago
Grass Type: KBG

Post by GaryCinChicago » April 25th, 2014, 10:47 pm

Jason1604 wrote:Someone correct me if I am wrong, but maple seeds produce those tiny maple trees. I have a huge maple tree and every year I simply hand pull all of those little trees that spout from squirrels burying the seeds. Not sure that second picture is from maple seeds.
Yup, my maple tree seeds in May (helicopters falling like hail) and then by June / July they are sprouting - and get mowed, AKA killed.

ligrass
Grass Type: KBG - Bewitched; some areas PRG

Post by ligrass » April 25th, 2014, 10:50 pm

I have a few of those Star of Bethlehem weeds popping up in my backyard. I went right to roundup on those. One close spray right in the nexus of them takes them out quickly. The other low lying ones look like CCO would kill them. Not sure on the grassy ones.

Jason1604
Grass Type: Front: 2016 Reno, Cochise IV, Bullseye, LS100 TTTF.

Post by Jason1604 » April 25th, 2014, 11:11 pm

GaryCinChicago wrote:
Jason1604 wrote:Someone correct me if I am wrong, but maple seeds produce those tiny maple trees. I have a huge maple tree and every year I simply hand pull all of those little trees that spout from squirrels burying the seeds. Not sure that second picture is from maple seeds.
Yup, my maple tree seeds in May (helicopters falling like hail) and then by June / July they are sprouting - and get mowed, AKA killed.
Funny Gary how I am only 175 miles to your south and my "hail of maple seeds" started last weekend. Just in time to put lime green decoration into my freshly mulched and previously clean beds.

GaryCinChicago

Post by GaryCinChicago » April 25th, 2014, 11:34 pm

Jason1604 wrote: Funny Gary how I am only 175 miles to your south and my "hail of maple seeds" started last weekend. Just in time to put lime green decoration into my freshly mulched and previously clean beds.
Interesting.
I'm betting that my helicopters to be 2 weeks later than usual this year, like everything else so far this spring.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » April 26th, 2014, 12:52 am

Yeah, they look like maple. I think due to the cold winter where I am, these things dormant seeded like crazy.
I carefully pulled out a few of the best ones and potted them before putting down pre-m. If I can get one decent maple tree out of this, I'll be happy. The rest will just get chopped up in the mower or killed by pre-m.

GaryCinChicago

Post by GaryCinChicago » April 26th, 2014, 9:36 am

And those really tall ones?
Break a green blade and taste it (it's not poisonous).
Betcha it will taste like onion or garlic.

ligrass
Grass Type: KBG - Bewitched; some areas PRG

Post by ligrass » April 26th, 2014, 9:59 am

GaryCinChicago wrote:And those really tall ones?
Break a green blade and taste it (it's not poisonous).
Betcha it will taste like onion or garlic.
Good spot. Especially this picture > http://s794.photobucket.com/user/tnkrer ... 3.jpg.html
looks exactly like the onion grass I had. Digging it out didn't work for me. It came back this spring. I ended up RU gloving it. It worked (so far). You could smell the onion just being within a foot of it.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » April 26th, 2014, 10:12 am

Wild Onion has LOTS of wax on the foliage, and extra surfactant or even DMSO (if you've got the right rubber gloves!) is a big plus for success. DO NOT use DMSO if you don't have the right gloves - latex and nitrile gloves don't protect you).

tnkrer

Post by tnkrer » April 27th, 2014, 6:53 pm

Gary, Thanks for the id. I have already applied RU to it (with surfactant). So I will not taste it. However, I took some blades, rolled them in my fingers and smelled, but couldn't smell onion or garlic. They are quite waxy though. There are only 4-5 of those. Hopefully RU will get those.

Will use CCO on the other creeping weed. Any other way to help identify the weed?

The maples are the easiest I suppose, if I miss them, they become really tall and either get mowed or noticed and pulled.

GaryCinChicago

Post by GaryCinChicago » April 30th, 2014, 1:24 am

tnkrer wrote: Any other way to help identify the weed?
Not to sound pompous, but I have found it doesn't matter what they are called - what kills them is important.

Broadleafs (looks like arugula at a salad bar :rotfl: ) any common weed killer with 2, 4D and Dicamba.

Strange shaped leafs on vines, maybe with flowers - Triclopyr ... your CCO if you will.

Tall grass weeds that looks like it belongs in a barnyard? Carfentrazone.

Grass that looks like KBG but isn't? We got headaches now!

tnkrer

Post by tnkrer » April 30th, 2014, 1:28 pm

Thanks. That works. Only reason to try to identify is to figure out what to use to kill it.
Though I cannot make that determination for this weed. The leaves look like a cross between common chickweed and creeping charlie/ground ivy

Only distinctive thing I can say is, every next level of leaves is at 90 deg angle to the level before it. Like chickweed/creeping charlie. (There must be a nice plant term for it, but I don't know it) Also I said its creeping, but I cannot see the evidence of that. It just seems spread everywhere, so I thought it was creeping, but I did not see connecting roots/stems/rhizomes between them. I am thinking tryclopyr because the leaf structure is like chickweed/creeping charlie. Good enough reasoning?

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » April 30th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Yep, looks like a job for Tryclopyr on those bigger things!

Those little tiny things just starting up like on the far left are spurge.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » April 30th, 2014, 2:06 pm

I don't really bother identifying weeds. I start with 2-4-d and/or triclopyr. I use them mixed together as a spot spray or individually as a blanket spray (haven't needed a blanket spray for years). If it survives, it gets pulled or hit with Glyphosate. Sedge gets treated with Sulfentrazone. Poa Annua gets managed with pre-emergents and hand pulling.

fsl
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by fsl » May 2nd, 2014, 10:55 am

tnkrer wrote:Thanks. That works. Only reason to try to identify is to figure out what to use to kill it.
Though I cannot make that determination for this weed. The leaves look like a cross between common chickweed and creeping charlie/ground ivy

Only distinctive thing I can say is, every next level of leaves is at 90 deg angle to the level before it. Like chickweed/creeping charlie. (There must be a nice plant term for it, but I don't know it) Also I said its creeping, but I cannot see the evidence of that. It just seems spread everywhere, so I thought it was creeping, but I did not see connecting roots/stems/rhizomes between them. I am thinking tryclopyr because the leaf structure is like chickweed/creeping charlie. Good enough reasoning?
Could it be Persian speedwell?