Speedzone and Clover

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Jason1604
Grass Type: Front: 2016 Reno, Cochise IV, Bullseye, LS100 TTTF.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Speedzone and Clover

Post by Jason1604 » April 30th, 2014, 8:22 pm

I searched and searched the latest threads and couldn;t find it, but I know I remember a comment stating that 2-4-d products would not kill clover. However, I have been using Speedzone by Gordon's for years to kill clover and it's a 2-4-d product. In fact, I hurt two patches with it this week even in cool rainy weather. In the past, I have had clover disappear in a week using Speedzone. Just thought I'd throw it out there if anyone is looking for an effective clover control tool.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Speedzone and Clover

Post by andy10917 » April 30th, 2014, 8:41 pm

Many 2,4-D and 3-way products claim to kill clover, but unless you almost drown it with many applications, it is pretty disappointing. Too much survives.

lawn2013
Grass Type: fescue

Post by lawn2013 » April 30th, 2014, 8:42 pm

speed zone red.....I just read something about it being good on clover. didn't even expect it to be. someone told me about endrun with timec today being really good. today I ordered ortho cco 8% tric. for my clover. didn't want to spend too much right now for it.

Jason1604

Post by Jason1604 » April 30th, 2014, 8:51 pm

andy10917 wrote:Many 2,4-D and 3-way products claim to kill clover, but unless you almost drown it with many applications, it is pretty disappointing. Too much survives.
I have used Speedzone exclusively for weeds and do a blanket spray every few months and clover is nowhere to be found. I do know other 2, 4-d products did not work for me in the past (I.e trimec by Gordon's) but in my experience Speedzone at the highest label rate knocks it out for me even on a blanket spray with surfactant.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

lawn2013

Post by lawn2013 » April 30th, 2014, 8:56 pm

I was going to start a thread about this earlier and some did so I don't have to waste a thread.

Jason1604

Post by Jason1604 » April 30th, 2014, 9:49 pm

lawn2013 wrote:I was going to start a thread about this earlier and some did so I don't have to waste a thread.
I think it's worth mentioning for sure. I love to have a product in my arsenal that works on all kinds of weeds. And at a relatively cheap price, it's worth the investment. I have had the same bottle of concentrate for a few years.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » April 30th, 2014, 10:01 pm

In addition to 2-4-D, Speedzone also has the active ingredients mecoprop-p, dicamba, and carfentrazone.

The difference between it and WBG is carfentrazone.

Quicksilver contains only carfentrazone.

So, Speedzone = WBG + Quicksilver.

lawn2013

Post by lawn2013 » May 1st, 2014, 8:08 am

still a little worried I am going to kill my lawn using this stuff to kill weeds in the lawn.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 1st, 2014, 9:18 am

Speedzone is just a brand containing the same ingredients as several other brands. Apply it properly and you won't hurt your lawn.

paulr
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by paulr » May 1st, 2014, 2:36 pm

lawn2013 wrote:still a little worried I am going to kill my lawn using this stuff to kill weeds in the lawn.
I used ortho CCO last year to kill some clover, with surfactant. I must have mixed a little to strong or something because this year where the clover was, is now just a dirt patch, barren as the moon.

lawn2013

Post by lawn2013 » May 1st, 2014, 2:38 pm

paulr wrote:
lawn2013 wrote:still a little worried I am going to kill my lawn using this stuff to kill weeds in the lawn.
I used ortho CCO last year to kill some clover, with surfactant. I must have mixed a little to strong or something because this year where the clover was, is now just a dirt patch, barren as the moon.
so it killed the grass also?

Jason1604

Post by Jason1604 » May 1st, 2014, 9:00 pm

There are ways to kill your lawn with any weed product. 1. Use too much. 2. Use too often. Speedzone at 1.8 oz. per gallon of water per 1000 sq. feet has never ever hurt my turf. I think a rookie mistake is to saturate the broadleaf with product, which can damage the surrounding turf. I always blanket spray and never spray "weedy" areas any heavier.

lawn2013

Post by lawn2013 » May 1st, 2014, 11:19 pm

I am going to use this wbg cco. I got a hose end sprayer. I was actually of thinking about doing it in the backyard that I don't care about first. I should have spent a lot more money and got speed zone. I got a Gilmour hose end. only thing is it comes out in a shower instead of the spray kind.

the label says 1 oz. per 200 sq ft. which equals 6 oz. for 1200 sq. ft.

sony1998
Grass Type: northern mix

Post by sony1998 » May 2nd, 2014, 8:49 am

I'm not sure how affective the hose end sprayer is going to be. The clover has a waxy surface and you need the action of the pump sprayer with finer droplets(mist)to have a fighting chance for the mix to stick to the leaves. That is why its important to use a surfactant to break the surface tension and stick to the leafs.
Pump sprayer with a fan nozzle is the way to go even in large areas.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 2nd, 2014, 9:28 am

A sprayer does a much better job making foliar applications than a hose end, which is good at soil applications.

You want a fine mist that sticks to the leaves, not big drops that splatter and crash to the ground.

lawn2013

Post by lawn2013 » May 2nd, 2014, 9:39 am

ok thanks. going to shop for one now. what about a spray bottle? lol I only got clover in about 500 sq ft. I used a spray bottle with round up with kill my whole lawn.

fsl
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by fsl » May 2nd, 2014, 11:39 am

After some research I too decided to use SpeedZone as my goto herbicide to tackle the bottom layer of the weeds triangle (and possibly the middle layer too). I got 1 GAL from lawnandpestcontrolsupply.com for a very good price (I think). They also sell a 20 oz version. I checked their Tenacity rate is lower than others too at the moment. (Note I don't work for them, just that I compared prices for a few products I wanted to buy lately and they generally have lower prices overall. The packaging is done well and no spillages from the 4 containers with liquids I bought from them. It is based in Winston Salem, NC so shipping is fast to the East coast (2 days for me if ordered by 2pm EST). Feel free to delete my post if it is suspected to be an advertisement which isn't the purpose.)

lawn2013

Post by lawn2013 » May 2nd, 2014, 2:15 pm

20 oz size? great. they have it by the gallon for sale mostly.

Jason1604

Post by Jason1604 » May 2nd, 2014, 6:55 pm

fsl wrote:After some research I too decided to use SpeedZone as my goto herbicide to tackle the bottom layer of the weeds triangle (and possibly the middle layer too). I got 1 GAL from lawnandpestcontrolsupply.com for a very good price (I think). They also sell a 20 oz version. I checked their Tenacity rate is lower than others too at the moment. (Note I don't work for them, just that I compared prices for a few products I wanted to buy lately and they generally have lower prices overall. The packaging is done well and no spillages from the 4 containers with liquids I bought from them. It is based in Winston Salem, NC so shipping is fast to the East coast (2 days for me if ordered by 2pm EST). Feel free to delete my post if it is suspected to be an advertisement which isn't the purpose.)
I bought the 20oz. size a few years ago. I keep it mixed in a sprayer at 1.8 oz. per gallon. I still have some left, but I only have about 3000 total sq. feet. You'll be happy with the purchase. :good:

Jason1604

Post by Jason1604 » May 2nd, 2014, 6:56 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:A sprayer does a much better job making foliar applications than a hose end, which is good at soil applications.

You want a fine mist that sticks to the leaves, not big drops that splatter and crash to the ground.
+1 Use a hose end for things like soil conditioning or fungal control.