Post by crabgrass1981 » June 3rd, 2018, 9:29 am

Thanks. I have nightmares about this stuff

mooch91
Grass Type: KBG, PR, TTTF
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Japanese Stiltgrass: Keep Your Eyes Open

Post by mooch91 » June 3rd, 2018, 10:18 am

Maybe it is just me, but I don't find the Japanese Stiltgrass as bad as some of the other grassy weeds we deal with (take triv, for example). I had it invade a small (few hundred sq ft) spring reno I did on the wooded border of my property last year. I pulled it in the fall and seeded, and the stiltgrass didn't come back after I dropped pre-M this year. That said, some substantial triv took its place. :(

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 3rd, 2018, 10:30 am

It's not hard at all if you know what treats it well, but most homeowners have no idea about Pre-M's and herbicides that aren't at HD/Lowes. Therefore they fail miserably, and the speed that Stiltgrass can overtake a yard is amazing. Most people have no idea what Acclaim Extra is.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 12th, 2019, 6:03 am

This is the 5th year I'm waking this thread up, as we're moving into the season (mid-May) where the Japanese Stiltgrass starts to its appearance.

If you're not familiar with Stiltgrass and especially if your lawn is directly adjacent to wooded land, you need to be on the lookout for it now.

If you've had it before, it's time to move the Acclaim Extra (Fenoxaprop) from the back row of the Arsenal to the front row.

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Pway » May 12th, 2019, 9:34 am

Thanks Andy. I’m about to begin my annual battle against it with fenoxaprop. Luckily, it’s keep to the wooded area and flower beds in the past. My neighbor has a huge mulch pile that it loves every year.

flyingfish88
Grass Type: TTTF/PRG/FF
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by flyingfish88 » May 19th, 2019, 3:44 pm

It’s making its appearance here in southeast PA.

So far mostly in the far back and fringe areas of the yard where I’ve been able to keep it at bay.

Luckily I have a secret weapon, my four year old daughter loves to pick anything that flowers in the yard, but particularly the pink flowers from stilt grass. Looks like we’ll need a good walk in the yard soon to attack some.

Last year we were still having it flower as of October:

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 17th, 2020, 11:24 am

Waking this thread up, as the timing to watch for this is very soon, or now...

Pkerb
Grass Type: Mostly KBG

Post by Pkerb » May 22nd, 2020, 7:46 pm

Tenacity and Acclaim mix worked for me. Had a yard full last year

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 22nd, 2020, 7:56 pm

I tested straight Tenacity on it - twice. It laughed. Acclaim does the job.

Leifcat1
Grass Type: KBG

Post by Leifcat1 » May 27th, 2020, 11:06 pm

I don't live near a wooded area, but there is a small river less than half a mile away from me. I rarely have Japanese Stiltgrass show up on my property but when it does, it usually shows up in a densely shaded area on the northwest side of my house. No grass is planted in the area. There are only some evergreen shrubs in the area. The soil in that area is damp, dark and likely acidic - the perfect environment for moss to takeover. It's probably been 5-6 years since I've last seen it. Glyphosate definitely did the trick in that area.

There is a house to the south of me that has been vacant for many years. Since I love being outdoors, I volunteer to take care of the property (but I don't give it a fraction of the care that I give my own personal property).

The vacant house seems to get Stiltgrass every year on the east side of their house (almost completely opposite side compared to my property). This area is in full sun for a good portion of the day. On any normal house, this area would be a flower bed or other landscaped area. However, since this house is abandoned the area is loaded with weeds. Yet, the stilt grass thrives in this area and I usually treat all day f the weeds with Roundup once a year.

Much like Andy, I haven't noticed this weed creep into either lawn. Perhaps it prefers poor soil conditions?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 12th, 2021, 8:40 pm

Well, it's that time. Year number 7 of waking up the Japanese Stiltgrass thread.

Aether
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Aether » May 13th, 2021, 9:42 am

The Japanese Siltgrass is staying downslope into the surrounding woods away from my lawn. I use granular spring and fall preM so probably helping to keep the siltgrass off the lawn.

Farmerdave60
Grass Type: Fesue KBG rye
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Farmerdave60 » June 9th, 2021, 7:35 am

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and am darn glad I came across it. Seems like many of these posts I can relate to especially this one. I’ve battled Japanese stiltgrass for many years and as you know if you don’t control it right away it becomes multiple fires to put out..

Well that was my mistake. I waited and last year it started taking over about 20,000 sqft of my property. Luckily when I did research I found acclaim. So, last august I blanket sprayed it all with acclaim. By mid sept it was all dead, well... most of it.

I dethatched heavily and core aerated end of sept and first week of October I slit seeded the area and put down started fert.

This past mid March I put down 40 lbs of pendulum 2g pre m(another expensive product) and now it is early June and I can say I’m only seeing patches appear here and there. I continue to spray them as I see them come up as well as round up the wood edges and the parts of the property that are forestry. This stuff seems to be everywhere in the wood edges mind you my house is surrounded by woods which is part of the problem.

It’s only June and I’m hoping all of the work I did last year and the pendimethilim pre emergent helped. I expect to see more pop up I guess but I’ll keep monitoring for control.

Question is now that it is June, is it too late for another pre m app? Last year this stuff came in thick around late June/July.. I live in MD and this stuff germinates apparently in early April and you don’t start to see it until closer towards the end of may.

Dave

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 9th, 2021, 7:59 am

Pre-emergents only protect against future germination (with very few exceptions). Treat breakout patches of Stiltgrass as you find them (with Acclaim), and make it a point to treat this as a 2-year plan even when you don't see visible Stiltgrass. Assume it is present. When your property backs up to a wooded area in regions that have Stiltgrass, also assume it will make inroads annually, and treat it as if it is a permanent threat.

Farmerdave60

Post by Farmerdave60 » June 9th, 2021, 9:21 am

Andy,

Absolutely and good points. Assuming this stuff will be back for the next few years is a good plan to prepare to spot spray and target it. I also see new patches appearing in places they weren’t last year. This stuff is tough but I’m not giving up. For a pre M, I used pendulum 2g. What pre M and brand would you recommend? I know the Anderson’s has good products and also has barricade blends with fert. Thanks!
Dave

gordon
Grass Type: KBG Sideyard fall 2009:Midnight, Moonlight, Bedazzled Front and Backyard Fall 2015: Midnight, Bedazzled, Blueberry
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by gordon » June 13th, 2021, 2:35 pm

I just noticed it in the back yard the other day when I mowed...need to make a move on it...

Farmerdave60

Post by Farmerdave60 » June 15th, 2021, 9:01 pm

I noticed more coming in patches around some parts of the yard but not nearly as bad as it was last year. We shall see in the next 30 days.. just ordered another pint of acclaim too.

Turk
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by Turk » July 9th, 2021, 10:23 am

Glad I found this thread, I saw it cropping up along edges of my driveway, forest, and street while walking the dog. Painful to to pay the $$$ for the Acclaim Extra, but I know it's a pay-me-now or pay-me-later kinda thing.

BIGDADDY13
Grass Type: KBG and Fescue

Post by BIGDADDY13 » July 9th, 2021, 11:00 am

I have one singular area that is relatively small that it seems to be coming in from a nearby pasture. The area is not grass as it is where I store our firewood and is stone and sandy loam. no grass. When I have seen it, I have hit it with RU and it hasn't spread at all. Just staying super vigilant on other areas that border the pasture and are fescue.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by edslawn » July 20th, 2021, 8:00 pm

Just ordered Fenoxaprop... It is starting to invade my yard. I'm in my third year of a spring and fall application of prodiamine, so I hope this will take care of the small spots emerging.