Chemical/Non Organic Fungicide Thread

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
wis99ski
Grass Type: Front: Blueberry, Bewitched, Prosperity ---- Back: Bewitched, Everest, America
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Chemical/Non Organic Fungicide Thread

Post by wis99ski » July 15th, 2015, 10:12 pm

3" of rain this week with humidity +90% I'm grateful I dropped heritage before I saw any issues 2 weeks ago. This is the rainiest late spring into summer that I can remember. May had lawns starting to go dormant. This is the first year with my blueberry, bewitched, prosperity reno and its holding up well so far with all this water.

greenbum
Grass Type: Bewitched Monostand

Post by greenbum » August 9th, 2016, 10:14 am

So far this year I've had Powdery Mildew (early spring), then Dollar Spot (early summer), then Leaf Spot (now). The Powdery Mildew and Dollar Spot problems went away, but the leaf spot is taking its toll. Some parts of the lawn look great, others are suffering.

Im probably too late this year for any type of preventative or curative, but I want to plan for next year.

Seems like Heritage is the way to go, but it's expensive. I have a backpack sprayer so can use granular or liquids. Whats the cheapest preventative fungicide for leaf spot? TY.

Oh and I would like to use a Biological Fungicide if possible.

meltingout
Grass Type: kbg

Post by meltingout » August 11th, 2016, 3:56 pm

greenbum wrote:  Whats the cheapest preventative fungicide for leaf spot?
I don't know if its the cheapest but if you are going to be using it for a few years and you have square footage to cover propiconazole can be had in gallons for under 100. Typical app rate is 2oz per 1000.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

greenbum

Post by greenbum » August 11th, 2016, 4:13 pm

meltingout wrote:
greenbum wrote:  Whats the cheapest preventative fungicide for leaf spot?
I don't know if its the cheapest but if you are going to be using it for a few years and you have square footage to cover propiconazole can be had in gallons for under 100. Typical app rate is 2oz per 1000.

Ok thanks. Im going to stick to biofungicides first to see how they perform.

Looks like 1 gallon = $88

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/propi ... b_id=16568

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » August 11th, 2016, 4:16 pm

^ Have you ordered Serenade yet?

greenbum

Post by greenbum » August 11th, 2016, 5:31 pm

seiyafan wrote:^ Have you ordered Serenade yet?
Ordered yesterday from Amazon but I dont have Prime. Patiently waiting. Just got to get through this hot spell alive.....

GaryCinChicago
Grass Type: KBG

Post by GaryCinChicago » August 14th, 2016, 10:45 pm

And there it goes, off topic, even though the title does say "Chemical/Non Organic Fungicide".

nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by nclawnguy » August 15th, 2016, 10:39 am

:good:
GaryCinChicago wrote:And there it goes, off topic, even though the title does say "Chemical/Non Organic Fungicide".

Leifcat1
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Leifcat1 » August 26th, 2016, 11:13 am

After reading over this thread, I see that Daconil is a popular fungicide however, every product I've found on the web that contains the active ingredient (Chlorothalonil) explicitly states that it should not be used on residential lawns. It can be used on golf courses, corporate landscapes, flowers, fruits, etc....but not in residential lawns. For that very reason, I have never used it. Anyone know why it's not labeled for residential use?

Applying chemicals scares me to death but I realize that it's necessary evil in order to maintain the lawn that I desire.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » August 26th, 2016, 11:40 am

Here's a clipping I have on the subject in my database:
Use for home lawns
Chlorothalonil is no longer labeled for use on home lawns. While this restriction has been in place for several years, it is such an important one that it is worth revisiting. Prior to the institution of this restriction, chlorothalonil was probably the No. 1 fungicide used on residential lawns. This restriction was agreed to by manufacturers of chlorothalonil in order to reduce overall exposure of two populations to the active ingredient: toddlers exposed after the application on home lawns, and residential handlers and applicators of chlorothalonil on home lawns. Keep in mind that chlorothalonil is registered for disease control on a variety of crops, including food crops. In order to reduce overall exposure to chlorothalonil in these populations and be in compliance with the Food Quality Protection Act, manufacturers agreed to voluntarily remove home lawn uses from the label.

-- "Turfgrass Trends" (MSU)
Chlorothalonil is a Group B2 "probable human carcinogen", based on observations of cancers and tumors of the kidneys and forestomachs in laboratory animals

Leifcat1

Post by Leifcat1 » August 26th, 2016, 11:58 am

andy10917 wrote:Here's a clipping I have on the subject in my database:
Use for home lawns
Chlorothalonil is no longer labeled for use on home lawns. While this restriction has been in place for several years, it is such an important one that it is worth revisiting. Prior to the institution of this restriction, chlorothalonil was probably the No. 1 fungicide used on residential lawns. This restriction was agreed to by manufacturers of chlorothalonil in order to reduce overall exposure of two populations to the active ingredient: toddlers exposed after the application on home lawns, and residential handlers and applicators of chlorothalonil on home lawns. Keep in mind that chlorothalonil is registered for disease control on a variety of crops, including food crops. In order to reduce overall exposure to chlorothalonil in these populations and be in compliance with the Food Quality Protection Act, manufacturers agreed to voluntarily remove home lawn uses from the label.

-- "Turfgrass Trends" (MSU)
Chlorothalonil is a Group B2 "probable human carcinogen", based on observations of cancers and tumors of the kidneys and forestomachs in laboratory animals
Welp, that settles it for me. This is exactly why chemicals scare me.

Never...EVER will I be using Daconil on my lawn - nor on my vegetables, for that matter.

Andy, thank you for saving my life...and my kidneys!

McLovin
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Post by McLovin » August 27th, 2016, 8:09 pm

If you are concerned that Dac is going to kill you, then you should never, ever get in a motorized vehicle.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » August 27th, 2016, 9:00 pm

Why is that, McLovin?

Leifcat1

Post by Leifcat1 » August 27th, 2016, 9:26 pm

McLovin wrote:If you are concerned that Dac is going to kill you, then you should never, ever get in a motorized vehicle.
I understand the risks associated with being in a motorized vehicle and I willingly accept them. On the other hand, if a product table states that it shouldn't be used in residential areas due to the fact that the active ingredient might cause tumors, I'm unwilling to accept that risk. I'm just a guy that likes to follow product labels whenever possible.

I realize that plenty of people use Daconil and are alive and well. More power to them. But I choose to avoid anything that could be a danger to myself or my family.

I even thoroughly vetted the risks associated with Milorganite before applying it for the first time. There are plenty of conspiracy theorists that believe Milorganite is toxic. But until the label says that it's not labeled for residential use, I'll continue to use it. But beingst that this is a thread about non-organic fungicides, that's all I'll say about that.

js12337

Post by js12337 » August 30th, 2016, 6:09 pm

Found this reference chart to be helpful. Scroll down the page, download the .pdf (was unsure of how to post the document here).

http://www.griturf.com/specials/granular-fungicides/

greenbum

Post by greenbum » August 31st, 2016, 12:23 pm

Does anyone have any pics of before & after a Heritage app? Im dealing with major leaf spot issues and I was curious what I could hope to see in the coming weeks. TY.

http://aroundtheyard.com/post291217.html#p291217

greenbum

Post by greenbum » August 31st, 2016, 1:30 pm

js12337 wrote:Found this reference chart to be helpful. Scroll down the page, download the .pdf (was unsure of how to post the document here).

Great chart, thanks. I see Propiconazole doesnt work for leaf spot, but it works for melting out? How come?

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » September 1st, 2016, 9:53 pm

Put down Thiophanate Methyl only on the side front about 2 weeks ago, due to a few small patches of browning grass with lesions (some of which was definitely brown patch). It appears to have stopped it in its tracks and the patches are starting to recover now. Not sure if I'll follow-up with another dose of fungicide or not. The weather is supposed to be cooler for the next few days. Like last year, glad I used the fungicide before it got too bad.

greenbum

Post by greenbum » September 2nd, 2016, 12:27 pm

greenbum wrote:
js12337 wrote:Found this reference chart to be helpful. Scroll down the page, download the .pdf (was unsure of how to post the document here).

Great chart, thanks. I see Propiconazole doesnt work for leaf spot, but it works for melting out? How come?
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image