Timing of grub control and fertilizer

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Timing of grub control and fertilizer

Post by Pway » June 4th, 2014, 9:12 am

I recently learned on this forum and then by reading various university extension sites that the combo products like step 2 are not ideal. Having said that I have several bags from my dad and thought I'd put that down. I used the Bayer grub killer a month or so ago because I had a visible grub proble. I'd like to put down the Bayer grub control (forget the ingredient right now) the same day as step 2, is that okay? Sounds like the new ingredient in Grubex is promising but maybe I'm late for that. Thanks

paulr
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Timing of grub control and fertilizer

Post by paulr » June 4th, 2014, 9:18 am

IIRC Bayer has 2 different Grub Control Products, one season long and one instant kill. I Which one did you put down?
The season long has some fert in it already, not sure about the other.

Pway

Post by Pway » June 4th, 2014, 9:41 am

Hey Paul, I putthe killer down earlier to kill live ones I saw in the yard, and planned on putting down the preventative all season long one mid June. I have some time today so thought I'd put the Bayer preventative ans step 2 down both. The only info I saw on Grubex and step 2 came from a Scott's site and I' was wondering if that is accurate or overly cautious. That sie says wait one or two weeks between them.

paulr

Post by paulr » June 4th, 2014, 10:11 am

I would defer to other opinions as I'm not a Scotts user, you may be a little hard pressed to find Scotts users here. Personally I don't think you'd have a problem, however taking a look at the labels: Scotts Step 2 seems to be a 28-0-3 or 29-3-3 product with 24D and Dicamba. Bayer Season long is a 6-0-1 product. I've never heard of any bad chemical reactions between the two, but I think a few may chime in and say 35% nitrogen at bag rate is a pretty hefty dose. Not enough to burn if you are careful, but once you mow your lawn, you might as well go back to the beginning and mow it again!

Pway

Post by Pway » June 4th, 2014, 11:10 am

Thanks Paul, this is a 28-3-3. I probably won't be a Scott's guy after I use up what my dad had, which is some more step 2, 3, and winterized. It's either use it or dispose of it so I thought I'd try to use it then move onto other products. I'm not real crazy about my Scott's spreader either and looking at some other threads I guess I'm not alone....

paulr

Post by paulr » June 4th, 2014, 11:23 am

Earthway with pneumatic tires is the way most of us go here. There are a few other quality brands out there too. Just watch your hopper size, Earthways tend to be small. I have the 2150 and it just barely fits a 35 pound bag of milorganite, other than that no complaints. Be prepared to spend the $$$ for a good spreader.