"Weed-n-Feed" left over from before BL/ATY - How To Use It?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

"Weed-n-Feed" left over from before BL/ATY - How To Use It?

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 7th, 2014, 9:19 am

I find myself in a circumstance that must be very common for a lot of newbies to this site... Before I found out about BestLawn / AroundTheYard (BL/ATY), I bought various lawn fertilizers when they were at sale prices, to save them for future applications.

In specific, earlier this year before learning about the advantages of separating applications of fertilizer and weed-killers, I bought Weed-n-Feed. I applied some to my lawn in late spring and it definitely helped the grass grow and knocked back the weeds a bit. However, since finding this site and instead embarking upon The "Triangle Approach," I've seen astounding progress in my lawn. I guess one could say that "I've been converted."

Nonetheless, I still have 3 bags (a total of 42.9 lbs) of Scotts Weed-n-Feed (28-0-3; 2,4-D 1.21%; Mecoprop-p, 0.61%) in my garage. I bought them in late June when they went on super-sale at the big box store, figuring I'd get a great deal and save them until next year. Now, however, it's not clear what I should do with them. I no longer have the receipts to return them to the store.

I realize that they are not the preferred product for going on the lawn, but, given that I already have it taking up space in the garage, what would be the right circumstances for putting it on the lawn?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: "Weed-n-Feed" left over from before BL/ATY - How To Use

Post by andy10917 » August 7th, 2014, 9:33 am

Yeah, we hear the story often. While I hate to apply herbicides needlessly, the only way out is to ignore the herbicide and treat it like standard fertilizer at the NPK rate. Just make sure that you're not applying the standard herbicides at the same time through the Triangle Approach.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 7th, 2014, 9:39 am

Ken n nancy sometimes they'll take them back without receipt for store credit too....

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by tlinden » August 7th, 2014, 9:47 am

If you plan it right you can still use it. If you have the dry version it's not gonna be
as good at killing weeds. I might look into returning mine. I found the receipt with the
mail in rebate attached.. I forgot to do the rebate but I've got a bunch of large bags
of steps 2 3 and 4.

JustAGuy
Grass Type: NoMix

Post by JustAGuy » August 7th, 2014, 10:11 am

It still has useful amounts of 'N'. If you use it, just be mindful of any new planted seed, you'll probably need to wait before using it.

GeorgiaDad
Grass Type: Frontyard: Award, NuChicago, Midnight. kbg Backyard: Mutt Fescue with a little Midnight kbg thrown in.

Post by GeorgiaDad » August 7th, 2014, 10:13 am

Sell them to a neighbor.

gryd
Grass Type: Elite Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by gryd » August 7th, 2014, 10:22 am

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:Ken n nancy sometimes they'll take them back without receipt for store credit too....

+1 HLG. - they should say they lost the receipt and paid with cash or check in the past 2 month. Those big box stores will take anything back. They will get store credit but can't say they paid with store charge accounts because the box stores can see when they were purchased. I've returned just about everything to those stores, even opened products, used products, and discontinued products.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 7th, 2014, 11:46 am

gryd wrote:
HoosierLawnGnome wrote:Ken n nancy sometimes they'll take them back without receipt for store credit too....

+1 HLG. - they should say they lost the receipt and paid with cash or check in the past 2 month. Those big box stores will take anything back. They will get store credit but can't say they paid with store charge accounts because the box stores can see when they were purchased. I've returned just about everything to those stores, even opened products, used products, and discontinued products.
I've taken many things back and exchanged them for the right thing just by saying I bought the wrong thing.

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » August 7th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Score! $80 gift card in hand. I bought at a local "chain" and they took it
back. He was puzzled why I was returning Step 3 and Step 4 when now is the
time of year people come in to buy it LOL

I almost told him I prefer driving an hour to pick up bags of pelletized
sewage for $3.50 a bag rather than the $40 bags they sell =P