Fall Nitrogen Regimens

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
laadams85
Grass Type: TF, KBG, Rye grass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Fall Nitrogen Regimens

Post by laadams85 » September 15th, 2014, 10:15 am

I like to save my milorganite for right before my neighbors have parties. That and putting down SOP/MAP. It's been weekly apps of urea lately.

rlb
Grass Type: Front: mutt mix Rear: TTTF

Post by rlb » September 15th, 2014, 1:20 pm

rlb wrote:What should we be looking for in a winterizing product? You said in previous posts that a synthetic should be used, and that most of today's urea is synthetic. So can we consider a final app or urea as a winterizer?
In case anyone missed it like me, the original post clarifies this:

"Apply the Winterizer as fast-release Urea or AS, all at once. The application should be 1 lb/K of Nitrogen which is a tiny bit more than 2 lbs/K of 46-0-0 Urea. Burning is much less-likely as top-growth will have ceased."

rlb

Post by rlb » September 15th, 2014, 1:21 pm

For those that want to really be aggressive about Fall Nitrogen fertilization, and don't mind the extra application work, pure (fast-release) Urea or Ammonium Sulfate fertilizer can be applied weekly to deliver about 0.5 lbs/K of Nitrogen. For Urea, this is right about 1 lb/K of 46-0-0 Urea.
This is .5 lb of nitrogen weekly, correct? Or weekly applications for a total of .5lb?
Last edited by rlb on September 15th, 2014, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laadams85

Post by laadams85 » September 15th, 2014, 1:26 pm

Yes, weekly applications of 0.5lb/k of fast release nitrogen. If using urea, thats about 1 lb/k of urea every week.

rlb

Post by rlb » September 15th, 2014, 1:27 pm

OK thanks! I'd rather have a silly question than a dead lawn.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Billybob
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by Billybob » September 15th, 2014, 3:38 pm

Be very careful watering in urea. I must have not watered enough in a few spots along sidewalk and now it looks fried.

I assume it's toast.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 15th, 2014, 3:46 pm

You should not have frying if you even made a single (overlap) mistake at 1 lb/K Urea (0.46 lbs/K N). 1/4" of water is all that is needed.

The whole idea of the 1 lb/K Urea is safety, and tolerance of a single mistake.

Billybob
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by Billybob » September 15th, 2014, 4:33 pm

That's what I thought too. It's been relatively dry here so maybe I'm not watering enough.

I have a postal scale and I weight the urea and I'm dead on at 1 lb. urea (1/2 lb nitro..) per k.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

SW315
Grass Type: Front Yard: Bewitched, America and Beyond United Seed Super Turf 1 overseed 9/2017 / Back yard: TTTF Mutt

Post by SW315 » September 15th, 2014, 6:07 pm

BoatDr wrote:
jglongisland wrote:The weather is cooling off now, this week would be a good time to get the first drop down.
Or something in a pre-em? Anyone have an idea on how much urea will easily go into how much water ? I deal I small amounts.

- Sent From My Sandlot.
I was able to dissolve 3.5# in to 2.5 gallons shake well and often.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

Adam T
Grass Type: I DON'T KNOW

Post by Adam T » September 16th, 2014, 1:48 pm

andy10917 wrote:1/4" of water is all that is needed.
HA! I came to the thread to ask this question, you read my mind! You are a wizard.

fmzip
Grass Type: 1/2 yard KBG and Bentgrass on the other 1/2 of the yard

Post by fmzip » September 17th, 2014, 8:55 am

I am due to put down some SOP. Is it okay to put it down with the Urea?

ENVY23
Grass Type: KBG: Midnight, Bluebank, Mazama
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by ENVY23 » September 17th, 2014, 1:30 pm

What's the best way to apply it? Broadcast or drop spreader? I know drop provides more accuracy, but it would seem a broadcast would be better at preventing lines/hiding overlaps since it provides a feathered edge? Opinions?

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 17th, 2014, 1:54 pm

fmzip wrote:I am due to put down some SOP. Is it okay to put it down with the Urea?
Yep, that's exactly what the fertilizer companies do in their pre-mixed products..... Just obviously make sure you're applying the right amounts :) I like to do this myself for precise control about what's going down. I don't have time to sift through the different prill in a 50 lb bag........ :lol:
What's the best way to apply it? Broadcast or drop spreader? I know drop provides more accuracy, but it would seem a broadcast would be better at preventing lines/hiding overlaps since it provides a feathered edge? Opinions?
I use a hand spreader (broadcast). I took a sharpie and put a line for a few different pound. Scoop, and then take a walk. I can have a urea application done in < 10 minutes on my whole lawn without breaking a sweat or getting dirty. Wing tips and sport coat? Not a problem.

BoatDr
Grass Type: 80% Bewitched 20% fescue

Post by BoatDr » September 19th, 2014, 12:37 am

Thanks Scott.

- Sent From My Sandlot.

lancasterlawn
Grass Type: KBG, Rye, Fescue

Post by lancasterlawn » September 19th, 2014, 9:23 am

Does anybody know of a good source for urea in Central Mass? I picked up a 50lb bag at John Deere/Lesco for $45 last week. The price seemed high based on other posts here. I called around to a couple of Agway's in the area. One has only 4lb bags for $12. Another told me they stopped selling it a few years back when they were required to collect the names and addresses of anyone buying it.

jglongisland
Grass Type: KBG

Post by jglongisland » September 19th, 2014, 9:25 am

lancasterlawn wrote:Does anybody know of a good source for urea in Central Mass? I picked up a 50lb bag at John Deere/Lesco for $45 last week. The price seemed high based on other posts here. I called around to a couple of Agway's in the area. One has only 4lb bags for $12. Another told me they stopped selling it a few years back when they were required to collect the names and addresses of anyone buying it.
Down here Agway will order it for you if they don't have it in stock. Keep in mind it is used as an ice-melt as well. The Agway here in Nassau County gets it by the pallet in November for sale to the heliports in Manhattan.

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by oze » September 19th, 2014, 10:23 am

Great article and excellent recommendations, Andy. The weather has definitely started to turn cool here in NE Indiana, and my lawn has definitely entered turf menopause. Some questions come to mind maybe they are rhetorical more than anything else/.

I wonder why I never noticed it before? Surely it happens every year, but this is the first time I recall taking note. And there surely is a widespread amount of browning in my lawn.

How come my lawn seems to be worse than those of my neighbors? I definitely take care of my lawn during the season orders of magnitude more than theirs, including irrigation to prevent dormancy.

Finally, I am surprised not to be able to find any information about this phenomenon anywhere else but here. It is very odd to me, because even I, a doubting Thomas, can confirm that it is happening. Now I await the reawakening!
Last edited by oze on September 19th, 2014, 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

mattya
Grass Type: Bewitched, Prosperity, Moonlight SLT

Post by mattya » September 19th, 2014, 11:10 am

lancasterlawn wrote:Does anybody know of a good source for urea in Central Mass? I picked up a 50lb bag at John Deere/Lesco for $45 last week. The price seemed high based on other posts here. I called around to a couple of Agway's in the area. One has only 4lb bags for $12. Another told me they stopped selling it a few years back when they were required to collect the names and addresses of anyone buying it.

Try here - http://www.valleygreenusa.com/locations-sales-reps/

laadams85

Post by laadams85 » September 19th, 2014, 11:34 am

oze, is this after you cut the lawn? I'm getting something similar but I'm only seeing it when I cut the lawn. Once the grass grows back out a little it's nice and green again. I think this is a combination of brown blades down low (BBDL) and perennial rye that when dormant/died. It could be only an issue for Northern Mix Lawns (NoMix), hard to say.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 19th, 2014, 11:39 am

How come my lawn seems to be worse than those of my neighbors? I definitely take care of my lawn during the season orders of magnitude more than theirs, including irrigation to prevent dormancy.
I'd suggest starting an "improve my lawn" type thread in the cool season forum, because this is something that requires a lot of specifics.

Personally, I'd get a soil test from Logan Labs in the early spring next year, as soon as the ground thaws, then post it here. If your grass is already going dormant, there isn't much left to do for it this fall other than winterize properly (which will REALLY help it next year!).

The soil test will help you focus your efforts on giving the grass what it needs, and adjusting the conditions that help it grow optimally.

Get a good pre-emergent down when the forsythia blooms this coming spring to prevent weeds.

Look into the watering practices - deep and infrequent. If you're doing light and regular, your grass will be more prone to heat stress with shallower roots.

Anyways - in your thread, detail your maintenance habits, fertilization practices, weed prevention techniques, etc - there are lots of people that love to help here!!!