Fall Nitrogen Regimens

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
osuturfman
Grass Type: Creeping Bentgrass, KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Fall Nitrogen Regimens

Post by osuturfman » December 28th, 2016, 12:32 pm

Yes Civitas Turf Defense manufactured by Petro Canada.

This product in particular.

https://www.civitasturf.com/sportsfield ... Labels.pdf

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » December 28th, 2016, 8:07 pm

osuturfman wrote:Yes Civitas Turf Defense manufactured by Petro Canada.

This product in particular.

https://www.civitasturf.com/sportsfield ... Labels.pdf

I started a new thread here. Could you explain how this will help HLG in the winter?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21699

bauer time
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by bauer time » February 25th, 2017, 5:18 pm

This fall was the first year I tried the aggressive method presented in this thread and with great results. Lawn looked beautiful in the fall and remained dark green all winter long.

That being said, with Spring right around the corner, is there a need for synthetic nitrogen in late Spring after using this method all fall? For the past few years I have been dropping Vitamin M at bag rate monthly from March-August. Would that practice plus the aggressive nitrogen regimen in Fall cancel out needing a synthetic N feeding in late Spring? I just want to get the most out of using this program as the lawn looks great.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » February 25th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Your call. Milorganite is OK in May onward, but I don't like synthetics until the Spring Flush is really over - it tends to force growth.

bauer time
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by bauer time » February 25th, 2017, 6:26 pm

andy10917 wrote:
February 25th, 2017, 6:03 pm
Your call. Milorganite is OK in May onward, but I don't like synthetics until the Spring Flush is really over - it tends to force growth.
Thanks for the advice, Andy. I might just stick with my Milo this year and see what happens. Can't go wrong there.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by PSU4ME » July 24th, 2017, 8:48 am

Andy,
Question for you on this in regards to trees/plants in the yard that will also be getting the a big bump of nitrogen. I have about twelve, 8-10' evergreen trees that are in my yard for 2-3 years now (this will be their second and third winter). I also have 5 fruits trees that are in their 3rd year as well. The evergreens don't really require any fertilization other than what the yard gets (although i don't think that statement holds when talking about this regimen) and the fruit trees stopped getting fertilizer the end of June. I've "read" that i don't want to push growth in the trees without ample time to harden off before the winter.

Any thoughts on this or am I SOOL on this and have to pick my poison? Open to others vs just Andy if you have experience.

And....a good bump for a popular thread in the coming months!

greenrebellion
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by greenrebellion » July 24th, 2017, 9:32 am

PSU4ME wrote:
July 24th, 2017, 8:48 am
Andy,
Question for you on this in regards to trees/plants in the yard that will also be getting the a big bump of nitrogen. I have about twelve, 8-10' evergreen trees that are in my yard for 2-3 years now (this will be their second and third winter). I also have 5 fruits trees that are in their 3rd year as well. The evergreens don't really require any fertilization other than what the yard gets (although i don't think that statement holds when talking about this regimen) and the fruit trees stopped getting fertilizer the end of June. I've "read" that i don't want to push growth in the trees without ample time to harden off before the winter.

Any thoughts on this or am I SOOL on this and have to pick my poison? Open to others vs just Andy if you have experience.

And....a good bump for a popular thread in the coming months!
I have maple trees and arborvitae spread throughout my yard and so the soil around my trees definitely got hit with late season nitrogen when I did Fall Nitrogen Regimen last fall. I didn't notice any huge negative effects, my trees have similar age since planting and height profile to yours. I did have a few twigs die on the maples, impossible to say if it was related to late season growth but it was relatively minor. The arbs looked just fine though.

I would be more concerned about the fruit trees since these trees are generally more sensitive and they sound like smaller trees. I have 17 fruit trees, but they are off in a separate orchard area and thus do not get hit with any synthetic fertilizer. High nitrogen applications can also negatively affect fruit production as trees focus on growth rather than production (more of an issue with spring/summer nitrogen apps).

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 24th, 2017, 8:36 pm

I have exactly one fruit tree (a peach) and I hate Arborvitae, so my testing in this area is a little light. I have never had anyone bring up a problem with it.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » July 27th, 2017, 8:47 am

Thanks guys. I'll avoid the fruit tree area (need to build up that OM so i'll use grains over there).

Another question, if i lay the Urea Thursday evening, is a Friday morning irrigation timely enough to water it in or would it need to be immediate? I can only water Wed and Fri so trying to plan out how i would do weekly Urea apps.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » July 29th, 2017, 5:44 pm

And another question, is a pgr good here to help limit the mowing intervals or does it interfere with the regimens at all?

double_e5
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by double_e5 » July 29th, 2017, 6:02 pm

PSU4ME wrote:
July 29th, 2017, 5:44 pm
And another question, is a pgr good here to help limit the mowing intervals or does it interfere with the regimens at all?
I don't know if anyone has any updated experience with PGR and the regimen, but note (7) in the first post covers it.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 29th, 2017, 10:30 pm

Please note that the thread is named "Fall Nitrogen Regimens", and I don't intend to let it be diluted by off-topic postings. If it's not about the use of Nitrogen sources heavily in the Fall, please open your own thread with your questions.

micvog
Grass Type: Mazama Monostand
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by micvog » July 30th, 2017, 9:31 pm

For alkaline soils (such as mine), is ammonium sulfate worth the extra cost relative to urea? Getting ready to pick up my Fall supplies and I am conflicted between the two.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 30th, 2017, 9:53 pm

The regimen is designed for Urea, but Ammonium Sulfate can be substituted at a member's discretion. No testing or conversions are supplied.

SNOWBOB11
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by SNOWBOB11 » July 30th, 2017, 10:10 pm

Andy, I see on the first page you mentioned that you would go a bit lighter with the aggressive n regimens on a nomix lawn that contains fescue. My back yard is a nomix and I was hoping to try out some urea on it this fall and see how it goes. My question is how aggressive do you think I can go with the urea being it does have creeping red fescue in the mix? Do you think it would be better to do less urea each week but stay with weekly apps, or better to go longer than a week in between apps?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 30th, 2017, 10:20 pm

That's your call. The two apps angle is so that less-experienced folks are less-likely to burn the lawn, because they'd have to make the same error twice in the same exact spot(s).

To your main question, Fine Fescues are not crazy about high-input regimens. Therefore, do a reduction of the regimen if you wish to encourage fine fescues. I can't give you a specific reduction percentage because I don't have any FF to test the regimen upon.

SNOWBOB11
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by SNOWBOB11 » July 30th, 2017, 10:29 pm

Thank you sir. I figured I'd ask being the thread was active and I had been curious how far you can go with the urea. Definitely going to give it a try this fall.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 30th, 2017, 10:39 pm

It's one of my favorite threads. Generally, I re-read all of the (716) postings in August and try to make changes to the main page that incorporate the answers to repeated questions -- I think I must be the only idiot that reads the whole thing.

Oldschool
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by Oldschool » July 31st, 2017, 7:50 am

Andy,
My average first frost date is September 11, which would dictate "early fall" nitrogen apps starting around August 1st. Seems early. Temps in the 90's last 30 days and next two weeks going forward. I use milorganite and plan to use urea for last app. Is it ok to begin fall regimen on August 1st?

This site has has been an incredible help to me this year.

Thanks, Lonnie

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 31st, 2017, 7:49 pm

I dunno. You're looking for that point when the hot nights of "I can't sleep without A/C" give way to cooler evenings. After that point it's safer to apply fertilizers again. I just avoid discussing topics like that because invariably I get the "should the temperature reading be taken at 3:10am or 3:5am?" questions.