Fall Nitrogen Regimens

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
zhotster
Grass Type: KGB
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Fall Nitrogen Regimens

Post by zhotster » September 30th, 2021, 6:23 pm

I'm late a bit to the game. Did Milo 1.5 weeks ago, going to weekly urea starting tonight. My sprinkler system will be shut down Oct 27th so I will finish by then. Yard is looking good here but need to finish things up!

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Masbustelo » September 30th, 2021, 6:51 pm

I'm not sure Andy's Fall Nitrogen Regimen has you dropping urea in Wisconsin October 27th. Have you read page one of this tread? I live aproximately 2.5 hours South of you and my last urea drop should be October 10-15th. The average first frost date for Prarie Du Chien is october 4th.

napper
Grass Type: Midnight II, Rhapsody, Blueberry, Bewitched

Post by napper » September 30th, 2021, 10:56 pm

Applying .5lb/1000k urea every 6 days until first hard freeze then will apply 1lb/1000k after top growth is done. The last app is usually around Nov. 20th

zhotster
Grass Type: KGB

Post by zhotster » October 1st, 2021, 4:13 am

Masbustelo, I did read the thread on the first thread. I'm going to pay very close attention to my first frost, then hard freeze and adjust. I started late, so I don't have time to complete the full regimen. I've done it timely years past and it has been such a bonus to having a full lawn in the spring.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » October 1st, 2021, 7:52 am

This is the item that I have had the hardest time communicating. The "Pause" starts when the AVERAGE first frost occurs, not the actual first frost. The average first frost is a good indicator of timing, but the actual date can meander from one year to another. Frost itself means nothing to the grass - we use average first frost to adjust for specific timing in your area.

fred9
Grass Type: mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by fred9 » October 1st, 2021, 9:26 am

Thank you Andy!

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass

Post by oze » December 10th, 2021, 12:36 am

Quick comment: I went with the modified standard approach of putting down a slow release fertilizer early and calling it a season. Using Menards-gonite, which, acccording to it's label, has 87.5% of its nitrogen as water insoluble, I applied 1.15 pounds of nitrogen (effectively a pound of slow-release) per 1000 square feet on September 8th. We had an unseasonably warm but dry early fall, and although the top growth slowed considerably (and stopped by Thanksgiving), my lawn has remained as green as if it was April. Even now, in early December, while most of the neighborhood is getting pretty brown, my yard is still very green. Maybe I should be concerned that the warm weather in October and early November messed up my plans and am in for a disappointing Spring greenup, but nah. I'll enjoy gazing out my front window at the yard until snow covers it. I'll try to avoid looking at the purple-black footprints left by an early-morning FedEx delivery while the lawn was still covered in frost. :banghead:

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » December 10th, 2021, 11:57 pm

Hey oze,

Great to see you on here!

What you observed is definitely expected if you keep up with the current research. The September app you did is pretty much considered the most important one of the year these days, and it sounds like you put it down at an optimal rate to simulate the effects of an aggressive low-rate Fall N program. Great job!

oze

Post by oze » December 11th, 2021, 12:54 pm

Thanks, Green!

I hope that this is in keeping with the intent of this thread:I did the aggressive approach for two seasons, and both years had an issue with ensuring that the last application of urea got watered in. Irrigation system had long been winterized, and November precipitation for both years was below normal, and unpredictable. If nothing else, the heavy application of slow-release N makes things a lot less complicated. IMO.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by MorpheusPA » December 12th, 2021, 1:18 pm

Close enough, IMHO. I'm staring out at the only green December lawn (which will be the Only Green January, February, March lawn as well) and I don't follow the strict schedule here. I just dump tons of organics in August, September, and October. Technically that provides a huge amount of slow-release (it does decay even during winter).

And my November app also includes some (a third) slow release N since winters here are on-again-off-again. Today is off-again, it's almost fifty.

oze

Post by oze » December 13th, 2021, 8:31 pm

I would expect nothing less, Morph! This winter has been unusually on and off here in NE Indiana as well. Coupla days with highs in the teens, coupla days pushing 70, like this week. Too bad we closed our golf courses after Veterans' Day.

southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG

Post by southern-ct-4 » June 6th, 2022, 1:18 pm

Is this (see photo below) the correct 46-0-0 urea to use for the fall regimen? I just bought the same item (they looked it up in their computer and re-ordered it for me) that I bought a couple of years ago, but I thought what I bought last time was a much smaller, plain brown bag. This is from a local lawn/feed/farm supply store, not a big box store. They load it into trunk so I didn't even notice until I got home (they loaded it along with bags and bags of milo so I didn't see them putting this in the car).

I also realize the pic might not provide enough info, and perhaps there's more info on the back of the bag, but after unloading nearly a dozen bags of milo from my trunk I honestly couldn't even muster the strength to turn this bag around for another pic... :(

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » June 6th, 2022, 3:06 pm

Also, to clarify, I'm referring to fast release urea. I'll have to check the bag closer and see what else it might say.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by edslawn » June 6th, 2022, 6:36 pm

southern-ct-4 wrote:
June 6th, 2022, 3:06 pm
Also, to clarify, I'm referring to fast release urea. I'll have to check the bag closer and see what else it might say.
Looks good to me. Same thing that I apply.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 6th, 2022, 7:40 pm

Yep, that's it. 46-0-0 will be 100% fast release.

It's exactly the same stuff I keep about 100 pounds of in the garage, and that I just used 2 pounds of in the gardens before a gentle, three day rainfall (half inch total). It's a great fast nitrogen feeding for anything that needs it (weekly for the gardens).

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » June 6th, 2022, 8:15 pm

Great, thanks so much!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » June 6th, 2022, 8:37 pm

the pic might not provide enough info, and perhaps there's more info on the back of the bag
Don't bother looking for consumer information on products like Urea - it isn't aimed at the homeowner.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 7th, 2022, 12:16 pm

"How do you solve a problem like Urea?"

Yeah, it's usually just labeled "urea" with 46-0-0 on it. Mine also has "fertilizer grade" and a biuret percentage on it--mine's well-labeled.

But if it says urea and has the aforementioned numbers, it's fast-release, and pure urea. Do. Not. Spill. On. Lawn. Or any other greenery you care about.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by edslawn » June 7th, 2022, 12:55 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 12:16 pm
"How do you solve a problem like Urea?"

Yeah, it's usually just labeled "urea" with 46-0-0 on it. Mine also has "fertilizer grade" and a biuret percentage on it--mine's well-labeled.

But if it says urea and has the aforementioned numbers, it's fast-release, and pure urea. Do. Not. Spill. On. Lawn. Or any other greenery you care about.
I've noticed that some of the farm suppliers have fertilizer grade and also feed grade. The feed grade seems the same but more expensive. I had one substitute feed grade for me one time and it worked fine.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 7th, 2022, 1:56 pm

edslawn wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 12:55 pm
I've noticed that some of the farm suppliers have fertilizer grade and also feed grade. The feed grade seems the same but more expensive. I had one substitute feed grade for me one time and it worked fine.
It's fine to use feed grade. That's the urea that's mixed with cattle feed to increase nitrogen levels for protein production (it tastes like salt). No, they don't use much per cow/steer per day, but it really does work and really isn't a problem.

But, as noted, it's more expensive and controlled much better for minor impurities that we don't care about, whereas fertilizer grade isn't. Vice-versa, feed grade urea has more biuret, which works well for the digestive system, but that we don't want for fertilizing in any great amount (it's toxic above about 1.5% for plants).