Bay State Fertilizer

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Rallydog9
Grass Type: I don't know
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Bay State Fertilizer

Post by Rallydog9 » April 14th, 2015, 11:01 am

Just picked up 1200 lbs from the MWRA factory in Quincy, MA. Highly, HIGHLY recommend making the trip over there for anyone relatively close. At $3.50 for a 40 lb bag I'm kicking myself for not getting down there last year.

They are preparing to start selling to lawn and garden centers now. They had just gotten a big shipment of new plastic bags to package the product in and were working on tweaks to the packaging process to accommodate the new bags. Won't be $3.50 in the stores but will probably be cheaper than Milo around here and you'll save a trip to Quincy. Not sure if that means it will ONLY be available in stores but I didn't get that impression at all. I think factory pickups will still be an option.

For those who don't know Bay State is the same stuff as Milorganite. There's a factory in Quincy run by the MWRA that produces it.

If you want to pick some up get in touch with Carl either via email or give him a call and arrange a time to make a pick up. I emailed him and he got back to me within a few hours, picked up the next day. There is no storefront, you literally go to the fertilizer factory (which is a little tough to find). Just head to the address on the website and follow the MWRA signs all the way to the back of the complex by the big silo's. You can back your truck down to where they package the stuff and load up. You pay by check, no cash or credit. Carl and his guys even helped me load up my truck.

If you use Milo I can't recommend this enough. Get in touch with Carl and load up whatever your car, truck, or whatever can carry.

Heres a link with info on the product and Carl's contact info:

http://www.mwra.com/03sewer/html/baystate.htm

Here's a map of how to find the place once you get there:

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Re: Bay State Fertilizer

Post by tlinden » April 14th, 2015, 5:32 pm

Wow, he replied to me a few minutes later. I'll be dropping a friend off at Logan tomorrow
so I figured stopping by on the way back would make sense. Fun stuff!

materlawn
Grass Type: Kentucky

Post by materlawn » April 14th, 2015, 5:48 pm

thanks for share!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 14th, 2015, 9:33 pm

Bay State is very well known on the BL/ATY site, and highly recommended. It is a true bargain. An idiot has even brought it back to as far away as NY -- the idiot will remain unnamed.

new to this
Grass Type: KBG Front, PRG Back

Post by new to this » April 14th, 2015, 10:40 pm

andy10917 wrote:Bay State is very well known on the BL/ATY site, and highly recommended. It is a true bargain. An idiot has even brought it back to as far away as NY -- the idiot will remain unnamed.
LOL