Weird Stunted Groth over former tree area....

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Weird Stunted Groth over former tree area....

Post by northeastlawn » June 8th, 2015, 8:01 am

Hi...

I have a vacant house next to me, where the city cut down a large maple tree. It took up the whole square. About two years went by and no grass, the city seed never took and I just got sick of the weed and mud pit. Next to my front grass.

This year I put down compost and top soil and laid down some scott sun and shade seed. I have put starter fertilizer down twice. While I got some uniform solid growth early, all the grass their remained miniature. It also seemed an odd color green and never seems to get any longer after 8 weeks. It gets a lot of sun and not much deep watering, I kept the seeds moist 2-3 times a day. But gave up on the seeds last week.

I pulled out crab grass in the spring but didn't realize the seeds were already in the ground, they started coming up two weeks ago, I gave it a dose of Quinclorac (Image) as suggested and it seems to have taken care of the young ones. Ill follow up if needed, but may have done some damage to the young grass, again my only plan was no mud or weeds.

No soil test, this doesn't seem worth it, but just curious might be happening to cause it to grow so slow and stunted...

virginiagal

Re: Weird Stunted Groth over former tree area....

Post by virginiagal » June 8th, 2015, 9:49 am

Did the city dig out the wood chips when they ground the stump? If not, the chips are down in the soil slowly decomposing and hogging all the nitrogen. You could dig down some and see if there are chips. The solution is to dig them out and replace with soil.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Pete1313
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by Pete1313 » June 8th, 2015, 10:07 am

virginiagal wrote:Did the city dig out the wood chips when they ground the stump? If not, the chips are down in the soil slowly decomposing and hogging all the nitrogen. You could dig down some and see if there are chips. The solution is to dig them out and replace with soil.

^ +1. Even if they removed the wood chips, there is most likely decomposing roots that are robbing the soil of nitrogen. You may also see mushrooms in that area from time to time as well. First advice would be to get a soil test done to make sure no other nutrients are lacking in that area. Since that is not in the plan, give it steady doses of milorganite. More than you would normally feed the rest of the lawn, and keep up on the watering so it won't die out this summer. The extra N from the milo will help with the wood breaking down.

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » June 8th, 2015, 11:18 am

Wow, right on about the mushrooms. I have seen mushrooms on this patch.

I guess a trip to Quincy for some Bay State Fertilizer is in the cards.

Pete1313

Post by Pete1313 » June 8th, 2015, 11:45 am

I had a tree removed last year b4 I did my reno. The grass was slow to establish in the area where the tree was removed. I ground up the stump and removed as much wood as I could. I don't think I cut anything off of that spot all fall. I kept feeding it heavy doses of milo, and now you can't tell there was ever a tree there.

Around 15 days after seed down, can u guess where the tree was?

Around 60 days after seed down.

A couple weeks ago. Tree was right in the center, grass filled in

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » June 8th, 2015, 11:55 am

Awesome results, guess its a trip to Quincy for some Bay State Fertilizer. Its $4 vs $20, easily worth the trip.

I wish any of the seed I planted filled in that fast.

Pete1313

Post by Pete1313 » June 8th, 2015, 12:22 pm

I still get mushrooms in that area this year, more so now that the soil temps are rising and especially after it rains. It will take some time for the rotting wood to break down.

That area appears to be around 50 sq ft? If it was me, I would measure out .5 lbs of milo 5-2-0 and put it down weekly.

ClintB
Grass Type: Northern mix fall 2020 reno to elite KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by ClintB » June 8th, 2015, 12:57 pm

Thanks to the original poster and the replies. Same thing in my yard and I wasnt able to figure it out. Kept wondering why is sprout and pout lasting double what it was in my reno last fall.

Eck
Grass Type: front: 2014 reno (Spyder LS, Titanium LS, Raptor II), back: transcontinental bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Eck » June 8th, 2015, 1:04 pm

I had a similar experience to Pete with my reno last fall. There used to be a tree in my front yard which was already gone when we moved in over 7 years ago, I don't know how long before that it was actually removed. That area was slow to sprout at all, and had a lot of completely bare spots. It wasn't until spring flush this year that things finally took off and everything filled in. Now you can't tell at all where the tree was.

And because pics or it didn't happen...

Before:

After:

Pete1313

Post by Pete1313 » June 8th, 2015, 1:44 pm

ClintB wrote: sprout and pout

I thought those words we're banned until after labor day? :no:

ClintB
Grass Type: Northern mix fall 2020 reno to elite KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by ClintB » June 8th, 2015, 9:51 pm

I couldnt sit and look at the bare spots that long. Trees came out this spring. Commited to watering this summer. Need it done so I can focus on tje reno on the back this fall.

Ps. I never wear white in the lawn before or after labor day