Cost of Lesco Dimension 0-0-7 ?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
greenbum
Grass Type: Bewitched Monostand
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by greenbum » July 28th, 2015, 11:15 am

I called a JDL store in my area. They said a 50lb bag would cover 10k sq ft and would cost $37. Does this sound about right? I've always bought Halts and have had great success vs crabgrass. However, it failed on my poa annua last year (but this could have also been a timing issue). I'd like to try Dimension.

Dimension = $9.25 / app
Halts = $7.50 / app

I assume I would do at least 2, maybe even 3 apps per year for year round pre-M control.

Does the price of the 0-0-7 sound about right? I found older posts from 2012 mentioning $15 a bag.

Tsmith
Grass Type: KBG Bewitched Monostand

Post by Tsmith » July 28th, 2015, 11:30 am

That's what I pay for Dimension from JDL. It will only prevent Annua if applied in early fall.

Halts does not prevent Annua

Correction: Halts apparently does prevent Annua

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App
Last edited by Tsmith on July 28th, 2015, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greenbum

Re: Cost of Lesco Dimension 0-0-7 ?

Post by greenbum » July 28th, 2015, 11:41 am

Tsmith wrote:That's what I pay for Dimension from JDL. It will only prevent Annua if applied in early fall.

Halts does not prevent Annua

Scotts claims it prevents poa annua too:
http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/produ ... 1_mm_p_slf

"Apply in Spring to prevent crabgrass all season long. Fall application prevents winter weeds such as Poa Annua, henbit and chickweed"

CH-Johnson
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by CH-Johnson » July 28th, 2015, 12:07 pm

HD in my area has Lesco with Dimension for $50 for 13,000 sq feet. Sounds like it's cheaper at JDL but I don't have that here.

It's 19-0-7 so maybe not the same thing you are talking about.

greenbum

Post by greenbum » July 28th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Yeah the 19-0-7 contains nitrogen and from what I've read thats a big no-no in the spring. I dont know about nitrogen in the apps in August for poa annua though.

I called JDL. They DO NOT stock granular barricade anywhere in the northeast. Closest is Virginia. What a bummer. The bags cost $40 for 50lbs, which is $3 more than Dimension, and from what I've read, its a superior product...... Where do you guys in the northeast source granular barricade?

greenbum

Post by greenbum » July 28th, 2015, 12:59 pm

Also does anyone know what % of prodiamine is in the Lesco 0-0-7 Barricade? I found a company called Peststrong which sells 0-0-7 Barricade for $50.

stack316
Grass Type: Side: 2014 Bewitched Reno Front: 2013 Faith, Cochise IV, Falcon IV, LS 1200 reno Back 1st half Mutt, Back 2nd Half 3rd Millenium & Rhambler reno

Post by stack316 » July 28th, 2015, 1:36 pm

A little offtopic.
Check your nearby walmart. I dont know everything in stock but picked up a 50lb bag of 30-0-4 with barricade for this Aug/Sept app. $12.50.

Or now with your backpack sprayer you can go the route of prodiamine 65 and have a lifetime supply for around $70

[ Post made via Android ] Image

greenbum

Post by greenbum » July 28th, 2015, 2:01 pm

stack316 wrote:A little offtopic.
Check your nearby walmart. I dont know everything in stock but picked up a 50lb bag of 30-0-4 with barricade for this Aug/Sept app. $12.50.

Or now with your backpack sprayer you can go the route of prodiamine 65 and have a lifetime supply for around $70

Granular form is super quick and easy to apply. 3.5 hours and 12 gallons of glypho later I was pretty screwed. How often do most people apply Prodiamine 65 WDG in a year? I could see myself dropping Halts in mid-April for crabgrass (which I have had great success with) and then maybe once a year spraying Prodiamine 65 WDG to tackle my poa. Would this work?

Kmartel
Grass Type: KBG/PR

Post by Kmartel » July 28th, 2015, 2:22 pm

greenbum wrote:

Granular form is super quick and easy to apply. 3.5 hours and 12 gallons of glypho later I was pretty screwed. How often do most people apply Prodiamine 65 WDG in a year? I could see myself dropping Halts in mid-April for crabgrass (which I have had great success with) and then maybe once a year spraying Prodiamine 65 WDG to tackle my poa. Would this work?
3.5 hours to spray 12 gallons is the problem, that should an hour application tops. What are you treat 12,000 sq ft?? I would look into this and see if you can change something to make it go faster, then determine the best pre-m for you. You still have time before treating for poa.

greenbum

Post by greenbum » July 28th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Wow. I see what you mean by lifetime supply. I read the Prodiamine 65 AWG label. What the heck? Max amount per year in oz for 3k sq ft would be 1.65oz (0.55 X 3). With the minimum 5 lb jug they sell, it would take me 48.5 years to deplete this supply.

Are these numbers for real? Cost per app would be $1.3 / year. Surely I'm missing something. Wow.

Here is the label: http://newsomseed.com/resources/Prodiam ... _LABEL.pdf

Pete1313
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by Pete1313 » July 28th, 2015, 2:35 pm

I apply prodiamine 65 WDG. I did my first app the first week of april. I applied at the .75lb/acre rate which gives you coverage for 4 months. I just did a second app about a week ago at the same rate .75lb/acre for coverage thru november. Year round coverage to minimize the undesirables. IIRC, the max rate for KBG is 1.5lb/acre. Prodiamine is good stuff, haven't really seen a weed all year. And price per season is really cheap for the WDG. I bought Resolute (generic barricade) for about $85, but the 5 gallon jug will last a long time. At 1.5lb/acre rate for a season it equates to around $0.60 per k for season long control.

greenbum

Post by greenbum » July 28th, 2015, 2:38 pm

It's definitely the cheapest option by a huge margin. But obviously at cost of time and potential health concerns. If I'm spraying with my backpack twice a year, I should probably research the risks of inhalation, skin contact, eye risks etc. Cant be good. Do most people spray twice a year?

Pete1313

Post by Pete1313 » July 28th, 2015, 2:42 pm

I think if you can find a better spray setup you would enjoy spraying more.. between pre-m, serenade, primo, and blsc/kh I am out there every week putting something down. I have a solo sprayer which easily accept my assortment of teejet nozzles. I only have 4300 sq ft of turf, but I can set up, mix, spray, triple rinse and be in the house in an hour.

Othertime

Post by Othertime » July 28th, 2015, 2:43 pm

I left JDL as their prices were high. I am getting 50lb 007 .15 dimension for about 23 bucks a bag. Anyone in the area need a source let me know.

Pete1313

Post by Pete1313 » July 28th, 2015, 2:46 pm

greenbum wrote:It's definitely the cheapest option by a huge margin. But obviously at cost of time and potential health concerns. If I'm spraying with my backpack twice a year, I should probably research the risks of inhalation, skin contact, eye risks etc. Cant be good. Do most people spray twice a year?
I may be wrong but I feel the risks of exposure are less when spraying on a day with no wind then if you broadcast the granular. The stuff will get on the the sidewalk, you will have to blow it back in, and I feel my dogs and kids would have more exposure opposed to spraying and immediately watering in

greenbum

Post by greenbum » July 28th, 2015, 2:50 pm

Possibly. I should probably just buy a mask off Amazon. Man my neighbors are going to love me....... The one lady is seriously organic.

Prodiamine 65 WDG looks like great stuff, particularly because it lasts so long. So how often do people apply it per year? Is doing it once a year in April not good enough to combat September annua (i.e. how believable are the labels).

Pete1313

Post by Pete1313 » July 28th, 2015, 3:03 pm

Neighbors all see me as the crazy guy that always has that backpack on. But I feel most of the stuff I put down is safe and I am applying it in the most responsible way.. prodiamine is one of the only things that I will not allow the kids or dogs access to the yard until it's watered in.

greenbum

Post by greenbum » July 28th, 2015, 3:04 pm

Pete what about broadleaf weeds? I have a lot of them too and I read Prodiamine doesnt fight them. Do you spot spray and if so, what do you use?

greenbum

Post by greenbum » July 28th, 2015, 3:11 pm

greenbum wrote:Pete what about broadleaf weeds? I have a lot of them too and I read Prodiamine doesnt fight them. Do you spot spray and if so, what do you use?
I guess this would be the stuff to spot spray for broadleafs:

Pete1313

Post by Pete1313 » July 28th, 2015, 3:17 pm

I don't know how effective prodiamine is on stopping broadleaf weeds, but I can give you my experiences.. last year I had a dandelion farm.. yellow across the whole yard along with alot of other weeds. When I reno'd I sprayed glyphosate only one time really (about a month before seed down). I tried fallowing but was lazy on watering and it was really dry and hot so nothing popped up. Even disturbed the soil when renovating.. 2 apps of tenacity one seed down and one day 30. Started using prodiamine this year and i have not seen one broadleaf in the lawn... not a single one. A couple small spots of clover, but that's it. And both my neighbor to the right and left of me have more weeds than grass growing.. especially during our wet spring.