2016: What did you do to or on your lawn today?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Pete1313
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: 2016: What did you do to or on your lawn today?

Post by Pete1313 » June 7th, 2016, 1:11 pm

ericgautier wrote:Pete, what mower did you end up getting? :)
I ended up getting the x590 and love it. Picked up the mulch kit and mounted sprayer as well. I demoed the z930 on the property weeks back, and even though it was an amazing machine and great cut, I realized it wasn't a good fit for my needs. My biggest concern was being able to accurately blanket spray. I'll take a few pictures tonight and post to the thread I had in the equipment forum.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

ericgautier
Grass Type: Front/Sides: Blueberry Monostand Back: TTTF+KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by ericgautier » June 7th, 2016, 1:14 pm

#beast! Yeah definitely post pictures. 'grats on an awesome machine. :good:

Pete1313
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by Pete1313 » June 7th, 2016, 1:20 pm

ericgautier wrote:#beast! Yeah definitely post pictures. 'grats on an awesome machine. :good:
Thanks. I had a LA115 in the past, and this thing is a completely different animal compared to those. Only 4 hours on it, but from what I can tell so far JD has made some good progress with the new Accel Deck. It cut really well.

ericgautier

Post by ericgautier » June 7th, 2016, 1:34 pm

Pete1313 wrote:
Thanks. I had a LA115 in the past, and this thing is a completely different animal compared to those. Only 4 hours on it, but from what I can tell so far JD has made some good progress with the new Accel Deck. It cut really well.

I bet! I had an LT160 before and I do miss it for pulling and carting stuff around the yard.

Mizunomp67
Grass Type: Northern mix

Post by Mizunomp67 » June 7th, 2016, 1:56 pm

Mowed yesterday the new TTTF is coming in nicely.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Tsmith
Grass Type: KBG Bewitched Monostand

Post by Tsmith » June 7th, 2016, 3:01 pm

We've reached the next stage of the roadwork on my street where they ripped out the curb, driveway, and some of my sidewalk.

I'm hoping the concrete will be poured and set before the weekend bc right now I'm forced to park around the corner.

Last edited by Tsmith on June 7th, 2016, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ericgautier

Post by ericgautier » June 7th, 2016, 3:02 pm

^ grass looks pretty good from that pic. :good:

Tsmith

Post by Tsmith » June 7th, 2016, 3:06 pm

ericgautier wrote:^ grass looks pretty good from that pic. :good:
Thx, oddly enough bc I knew this was coming I haven't dropped much on strip other than Pre-em

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » June 7th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Mowed low-input area (3.75in). Spot sprayed Tenacity (1oz rate). Set sprinklers to go off for 45 min on side front tomorrow morning.

Mowed the seeded area in the low-input area at 2.75in. I'm doing really well at growing weeds! There's even some grass there...

Pulled the trigger on SOP and Tricure. Ordered both. Not cheap stuff, that Tricure, and I wasn't able to obtain SOP locally (well, I could have, but didn't have time to make the trip). But this will save me lots of driving time I don't have, as well as about 10 hours of labor I don't have, trying to spray enough soil conditioner.

Also removed more caterpillars from my tree.

Next up: spray PGR at half rate on the garage side, mow more areas, apply fertilizer to more areas, and spray Triclopyr.
Last edited by Green on June 7th, 2016, 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grass Type: Quack, No Mix

Post by 1977212 » June 7th, 2016, 5:55 pm

Kelp 4 less has a 2 for 1 sale today

ericgautier

Post by ericgautier » June 7th, 2016, 7:00 pm

Mowed backyard. HOC @3". PGR is wearing off. Need to spray another app asap.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Velocity Recovery

Post by oze » June 8th, 2016, 10:10 am

Green wrote:Spot sprayed Velocity at half normal concentration. What a mess it makes of the lawn after a few sprays...but it's supposed to get rid of the Triv.

Got just under 2 inches of rain total yesterday.
Hey Green,
I just wanted to let you know that all should be fine with the areas you sprayed with Velocity. I went with the slow conversion instructions on the label for my No Mix lawn. I ended up doing 6 light weekly applications to some Triv/Annua continents, and I am very pleased with the progress. I have been lightly raking the areas every week or so as well, and there is very little brown there anymore. I tried to get a picture, but it doesn't seem to show the results very well.

One other thing that I have noticed is that the sprayed areas, while green and apparently healthy-looking, seem to be stunted in height compared to the surrounding, untreated areas. I did spray two applications of PGR over the entire lawn during the spring as well, so maybe there is a synergistic effect between the Velocity and the Primo.

Tsmith

Post by Tsmith » June 8th, 2016, 3:17 pm

three days later and was still waiting for the installer to fix the shingles on the shed so I had to do it myself as I was getting some water inside from the rain last couple days

decided to blow out the gutters on the house as well since I had the ladder out and while I was up there I found a pile animal crap under the one overhang. I'm not a positive what its from but I also found a dead bird close by so my assumption is its from a cat that I guess climbed my dogwood tree to hop on the roof

amazing that ive been in my house 13 years and I can still be surprised by what I find and where

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » June 8th, 2016, 4:10 pm

Mowed and I applied bay state and fungicide. Watered in 1in, then "out of nowhere" an intense severe thunderstorm flooded everything. Apparently if I had checked the weather I would have known lol

Either way I'm just REALLY happy I mowed today it was already overdue.

BoatDrinksQ5
Grass Type: 9k of KBG (2013 sod) Blue-tastic, Corsair, BlackJack, Empire

Post by BoatDrinksQ5 » June 8th, 2016, 4:27 pm

LOL! tlinden! "....check twice....water once....."

I'm excited, tonight is raise deck day... yard looks so much better after a mow when the deck gets raised a notch. My spring/late-fall heigh is just a bit scalpy in spots... and shows off some BBDL...

Then I plan on giving it a good strong soaking before our first touch of heat (90's) Thursday-Saturday.

bauer time
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by bauer time » June 8th, 2016, 5:47 pm

Finished up my 1" for the week yesterday through irrigation then while I was at work today we had a severe thunderstorm and got another .5" according to rain gauge. Ruined my plans to mow tonight but I'll take the added water.

Mowing tomorrow at 4" to see how I like it.

lawn_cuttery
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by lawn_cuttery » June 8th, 2016, 5:49 pm

Close up inspections of brown dead areas confirmed that I have red thread and pink patch scattered throughout the lawn. Researched these fungal issues and it seems like it's nothing to be too concerned about. Last week I dropped 1 lb of N (urea) and K (SOP) each per 1000 sq/ft, which should help clear things up especially with all the rain lately to water it in.

Also have more mushrooms clusters and different varieties than I have ever had. Again, seems like nothing to be worried about and find true amazement in the different species of fungi that continue to popup.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Velocity Recovery

Post by Green » June 8th, 2016, 8:44 pm

oze wrote:
Green wrote:Spot sprayed Velocity at half normal concentration. What a mess it makes of the lawn after a few sprays...but it's supposed to get rid of the Triv.

Got just under 2 inches of rain total yesterday.
Hey Green,
I just wanted to let you know that all should be fine with the areas you sprayed with Velocity. I went with the slow conversion instructions on the label for my No Mix lawn. I ended up doing 6 light weekly applications to some Triv/Annua continents, and I am very pleased with the progress. I have been lightly raking the areas every week or so as well, and there is very little brown there anymore. I tried to get a picture, but it doesn't seem to show the results very well.

One other thing that I have noticed is that the sprayed areas, while green and apparently healthy-looking, seem to be stunted in height compared to the surrounding, untreated areas. I did spray two applications of PGR over the entire lawn during the spring as well, so maybe there is a synergistic effect between the Velocity and the Primo.
Thanks, Oze. I have a lot of Triv in some areas, so it's going to look bad. The KBG gets a bit discolored as well...but I think most of it will survive the lower concentration sprays ok. I'm also getting red thread...which may or may have been induced by the Velocity (I think it is, because I haven't gotten it in at least 2 years and this is the only thing I've done differently). Triv seems really prone to that disease. As for raking, I refuse to do it until early August so I keep my pre-M barrier intact while it's still active. As for stunting...I've noticed it, too, even on non-PGR areas...and I believe I read that Velocity has a definite, weak, PGR effect.

Last year, due to PGR plus a fungicide which also acted as PGR, plus drought stress and disease, I didn't really need to mow an area for about a month. It looked brownish during that period, though. I'm kinda getting a similar thing but less pronounced, with the Velocity.

This morning: Watered the side front for 45 min.

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by oze » June 9th, 2016, 8:06 am

^
I feel your pain, Green! The triv/annua battle is going to be a protracted one, but I feel that, with Velocity, we now have an effective alternative to the nuclear option. By the way, I didn't mean to say that I was vigorously raking the dead stuff from the patches, just a light comb-over with a plastic leaf rake, much in the way I fluff up areas affected by snow mold in the spring. I agree that the last thing we need to do is to encourage the germination of even more bad seed at the sites of our on-going battles by disturbing the pre-emerge barrier in the soil!

Grass Type: Quack, No Mix

Post by 1977212 » June 9th, 2016, 1:27 pm

Sprayed FeATURE at 3lb\a