2016: What did you do to or on your lawn today?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: 2016: What did you do to or on your lawn today?

Post by probasesteal » February 28th, 2016, 8:38 pm

Seeded hybrid bluegrass (bandera, thermal, spf30) in about 1/4 of my yard. Soil temps 51 this afternoon.
Dropped Dimension in the natural areas to help fight Japanese stiltgrass. Transplanted a few propagations
Broke out the hose.... In February.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

jglongisland
Grass Type: KBG

Post by jglongisland » February 28th, 2016, 9:06 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
tlinden wrote:There was a university that did a test on mulching leaves and they did some kind of crazy amount. I'm bad at remembering names otherwise I'd find the link for you. But it addressed the ph and "too many" leave problems that most people argue. If I remember correctly previous tests were on the leaf or needle but what they found was the ph neutralized while it broke down.
Well look at jglongislands threads. the poor guy busted his hump increasing OM by mulching leaves while watching his pH fall through the floor.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
It wasn't just the leaves, it was the many tons of other organic that were dropped, creating "holes' that needed to be filled with the elements that make up the non-acidic side of the pH equation.

As great as leaves are, I've been watching my 2014 leaf pile shrink to about 1/2 yard of almost ready to use compost. This was from a pile that might have been 4-5 yards, which represented about 16" of leaves on my 27,500 sq. ft. property.

ENVY23
Grass Type: KBG: Midnight, Bluebank, Mazama
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by ENVY23 » February 29th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Sprayed prodiamine today. My S15 quit spraying about halfway through, had to finish it up with my 1 gallon pump sprayer. Not sure what the deal is yet, I removed and cleaned the nozzle, thinking maybe it got clogged, still didn't work. Have some rain coming the next couple of days to water it in good. Dropped my first app of Milo for the season at bag rate. While dumping the bags in my spreader, I thought "I really missed the smell of Milorganite over the winter." Should smell REALLY good after the rain tomorrow. haha

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » March 1st, 2016, 5:03 pm

Did clean-up mow on front, side, and lower part of back at 2.25 inches. Some grass was actually cut off. A few leaves were mulched too. Mowing partially brown grass in cold, compacted soil isn't as fun as when it's green, though.

That was enough to satisfy my wanting to do something. I wanted to get it done before the rain tomorrow, colder temps later in the week, and possible snow.
Last edited by Green on March 1st, 2016, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fusebox7
Grass Type: Front: Northern Mix - KBG, PRG, FF | Back: 100% PRG

Post by fusebox7 » March 1st, 2016, 5:06 pm

Green wrote:Did clean-up mow...
Looking outside at a foot of snow (again). Foot of snow. Melt. Foot of snow. That's the cycle here right now. Got a new manual reel mower to play around with come spring (will be using for managing HOC during overseeding). Still a couple months away from even thinking about mowing here though :sorry:

ndlutz
Grass Type: Midnight/Bewitched/Prosperity KBG Front, Northern Mix Back

Post by ndlutz » March 1st, 2016, 10:52 pm

I went out and put about 15 lbs of seed down. 7 lb of Double Eagle, 3 lb of Scott's KBG mix in my dog yard and pool yard (this is what I used in my renovation & overseed last fall and I was generally happy with it for these areas). I had about 5 lb of a Jonathan Green Shade mix that I threw down in my shady area which I have not done any work in as of yet besides fertilizer and amendments.

It sounds like we may get some more freeze/thaw cycles this month so that should help get seed to soil contact. We also may get some snow later this week.

Trying my hand at dormant seeding here! Hope it works out OK. I'll take whatever I can get, though.

Green

Post by Green » March 1st, 2016, 11:28 pm

ndlutz wrote:I went out and put about 15 lbs of seed down. 7 lb of Double Eagle, 3 lb of Scott's KBG mix in my dog yard and pool yard (this is what I used in my renovation & overseed last fall and I was generally happy with it for these areas). I had about 5 lb of a Jonathan Green Shade mix that I threw down in my shady area which I have not done any work in as of yet besides fertilizer and amendments.

It sounds like we may get some more freeze/thaw cycles this month so that should help get seed to soil contact. We also may get some snow later this week.

Trying my hand at dormant seeding here! Hope it works out OK. I'll take whatever I can get, though.
Just a heads-up to anyone reading the forum. Careful with the JG shade mixes...there are two versions. One contains lots of Poa Trivialis seed intentionally.

Green

Post by Green » March 2nd, 2016, 10:34 am

Got 5/8ths-inch of rain last night.

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » March 2nd, 2016, 11:53 am

68F forecasted high for next week, I am going to start my spring reno.

Step 1: Round up

McLovin
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Post by McLovin » March 4th, 2016, 10:54 am

Hit the winter weeds with the triclopyr + 2,4D cocktail last weekend. 1st mow of the season tomorrow.

FrayedEnds
Grass Type: Grass

Post by FrayedEnds » March 4th, 2016, 11:35 am

Finished picking the sticks, pine-cones, needles, etc from the lawn and beds. Have the first 3-4 crocuses blooming so it's time to start thinking about putting mulch on the beds. We will probably wait another week or two for the daffodils and tulips to stick their heads a bit further up and then get to work.

I'll share a baseline photo with some early morning frost still on it. Now that all of our snow is gone and I have one small little patch, where the snow wasn't as heavy, starting to green up (top left of the photo under the trees).

Obviously there is still some snow mold and damage from it, but it isn't nearly as bad as last year. And the renovated areas are much better than the old, especially fine fescue, areas.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » March 4th, 2016, 11:56 am

It snowed here, but it was probably Winter's last gasp. Temperatures are in the 20's, but predicted to rise by almost 10 degrees a day for the next five days.

Green

Post by Green » March 4th, 2016, 12:41 pm

andy10917 wrote:It snowed here, but it was probably Winter's last gasp. Temperatures are in the 20's, but predicted to rise by almost 10 degrees a day for the next five days.
Got a dusting here.

Looks like southern CT is no longer abnormally dry. The almost year-long dryness/drought is finally over. Northern CT is now abnormally dry, an improvement from moderate drought.
Last edited by Green on March 4th, 2016, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BuckeyeChuck
Grass Type: Blueberry

Post by BuckeyeChuck » March 4th, 2016, 1:20 pm

Got snow also. Thinking it is the last accumulating snow. Should be gone in a week or so.

Tsmith
Grass Type: KBG Bewitched Monostand

Post by Tsmith » March 5th, 2016, 5:23 pm

First day out in the yard and I'm feeling it. I'm going to be doing my mulch a lot earlier this year so I figured today was a good day to cleanup my beds a little and touch up all my cutouts.

My yard is being dug up almost nightly by what I'm assuming is a groundhog. Normally I see some digging in and around my beds but the digging all around my lawn is new. I'm going to Hv to block the bottom of my fence to hopefully prevent it from getting in yard.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Green

Post by Green » March 5th, 2016, 6:01 pm

Tsmith wrote:First day out in the yard and I'm feeling it. I'm going to be doing my mulch a lot earlier this year so I figured today was a good day to cleanup my beds a little and touch up all my cutouts.

My yard is being dug up almost nightly by what I'm assuming is a groundhog. Normally I see some digging in and around my beds but the digging all around my lawn is new. I'm going to Hv to block the bottom of my fence to hopefully prevent it from getting in yard.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Never underestimate squirrels. Lots of holes here, and today I saw one digging a hole in the mulch big enough to burry an ipad in.

j rockford
Grass Type: emblem moonbeam moonlight slt midnight star midnight prosperity, boutique

Post by j rockford » March 5th, 2016, 11:40 pm

Cleaned up debris and dropped pre emergent. Will fire up mower tomorrow and clean up shed. With this mild winter things are just around the corner.

gwlbe
Grass Type: Northern Mutt

Post by gwlbe » March 6th, 2016, 7:02 am

Cleaned up a wheelbarrow and a half of mole damage. Order traps from Trap,ine.

Green

Post by Green » March 6th, 2016, 5:42 pm

Raked part of low-input area where grass was matted down.

Front soil temps are now 43-47F. Back is still 33-37F.

Tsmith
Grass Type: KBG Bewitched Monostand

Post by Tsmith » March 6th, 2016, 6:42 pm

I had a 10% off coupon from TCS so I made the trip and picked up some cracked corn, pine bedding pellets, and Alfalfa pellets which I dropped off before hitting HD to grab a new wheel barrow.

Ive been eyeing this guy since last year which should help with the 8 yards of mulch I'll be doing next weekend.
ImageUploadedByYard Help1457304007.779118.jpg

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App