Restoring Turf + Bermuda Supression This Spring?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
mirak
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Restoring Turf + Bermuda Supression This Spring?

Post by mirak » April 18th, 2016, 12:25 pm

I've got a tricky situation. I live in Wichita and have a TTF/KBG lawn. I wouldn't normally seed in spring, but I'm doing hardscaping in my back yard and the contractor has really compacted the soil and torn up the turf in spots. Part of his work includes re-seeding those areas, and I've asked that he aerate first to relieve some of the compaction. I may even add some soil and till in areas to remove ruts.

For a more consistent look, I thought I'd go ahead and aerate/overseed the whole lawn this spring. However, I'm also starting year 2 of my Bermuda suppression regimen, which uses a mixture of Fusilade II and Turflon Ester.

The contractor says he'll be finished in time to aerate and overseed the weekend of April 30. I'll be using a 50/50 TTF/KBG blend, so it'll take 3-4 weeks for the KBG to germinate. How soon after seeding can I safely apply the Fusilade II / Turflon Ester?

I think it's too early to attack the Bermuda now before I seed, and I'm concerned that if I wait 6 weeks after seeding the Bermuda will have gotten a jump on me.

Your advice appreciated.

McLovin
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Re: Restoring Turf + Bermuda Supression This Spring?

Post by McLovin » April 20th, 2016, 1:05 pm

I have been doing bermuda suppression as well. For a cool season yard, I am following appalachianturf's recommendation:

Apply Acclaim Extra 28oz/acre w Triclopyr 32 oz/acre using a non ionic surfactant start about or after spring green up of bermuda May1st , June 1st, July 1st , August 1st for at least 2 years not missing an application... In October apply Fusilade II

I also add Tenacity to the mix and this has worked well.

But you are so off the timetable for seeding cool season turf, this is uncharted waters. I don't know how well this would work, but I would go with Tenacity before seeding and after germination according to the label, and wait until at least three mows before applying turflon ester with it. I would hold off on Fusilade II until cool weather. In my area, it is too hot in the summer to apply Fusilade II.

And pray for a cool wet summer and plan on overseeding in the fall.

mirak
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Restoring Turf + Bermuda Supression This Spring?

Post by mirak » April 20th, 2016, 4:38 pm

I'm probably overthinking this and trying to accomplish too much this spring. When the contractor finishes the hardscaping, he'll aerate to relieve compaction, and I'll see if he can aerate the entire yard while he's at it. Then he'll put down seed in the disturbed areas, which is mostly a different area from the Bermuda. I won't overseed the whole lawn. I'll proceed with the Bermuda treatment in early May and if it impairs germination in a few spots, so be it. This fall, I'll verticut and overseed the entire yard. Sound good?